[News] ASUS Goes Back to Windows-incapable Roots, Cheap Sub-notebooks - Linux

  1. [News] ASUS Goes Back to Windows-incapable Roots, Cheap Sub-notebooks

    Asus (re)spins $200 netbook

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Asus is credited with touching off the netbook explosion with its Eee PC
    | (above), tipped to cost just $200 when it was first shown off by company
    | officials in June 2007. The device eventually shipped for $400 in Nov. 2007,
    | with a seven-inch screen, a 900MHz Celeron processor, and the Linux operating
    | system.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But now, according to Shen, Asus plans to bring the netbook concept back to
    | its low-cost roots. During a conference call set up to discuss the company's
    | third-quarter financial results, posted yesterday, he said "next year, you
    | can expect an entry-level Eee PC for around $200."
    `----

    Asus promises $200 eee PC in 2009

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There's no doubt about, when it comes to selling small laptops (or what's now
    | often called a netbook) Asus is king of the hill. Just like most people think
    | of Apple's iPod when it comes to MP3 players Asus' eee PC brand has become
    | synonymous with small inexpensive laptops. I honestly can't remember the last
    | university lecture where I didn't see at least one student with an eee PC and
    | on a short 2h train-ride on the weekend I spotted 3 people using eee PCs.
    `----

    http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/c...c_in_2009.html

    Recent:

    Asus ships 700,000 Eees in a month

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Admittedly, Asus still has some way to go if it wants to beat its own goal of
    | shipping 24 million motherboards this year. So far, the firm has ‘only’
    | managed to ship 17.22 million units in Q3.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-ship-700-eees

    More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
    | the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
    | — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
    | order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
    |
    | The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
    | pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...the_asus_eeepc

    Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

    | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
    | manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
    | some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
    `----

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...-linux-ulpcs/1

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    Acer bets big on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
    | netbooks.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

  2. Re: [News] ASUS Goes Back to Windows-incapable Roots, CheapSub-notebooks

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:32:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Acer bets big on Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its
    > laptops and | netbooks.
    > `----

    Acer needs to make sure that its future laptops don't require any sort of
    proprietary driver. I just got tired of messing with the stupid
    proprietary chipset on the wireless card and replaced it with an Intel.

    And of course, my SD card readers _still_ don't work. Again, proprietary
    chipset and no code available for it anywhere.

    Yes, I'm a little miffed, but at least its down to only the SD card
    readers which I don't really need (and have a USB reader anyhow).

  3. Re: [News] ASUS Goes Back to Windows-incapable Roots, CheapSub-notebooks

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:11:41 -0600, alt wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:32:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Acer bets big on Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its
    >> laptops and | netbooks.
    >> `----

    > Acer needs to make sure that its future laptops don't require any sort
    > of proprietary driver. I just got tired of messing with the stupid
    > proprietary chipset on the wireless card and replaced it with an Intel.
    >
    > And of course, my SD card readers _still_ don't work. Again, proprietary
    > chipset and no code available for it anywhere.
    >
    > Yes, I'm a little miffed, but at least its down to only the SD card
    > readers which I don't really need (and have a USB reader anyhow).

    At least the Acer Aspire One (Linux Version) has everything working, and
    the Linpus distro isn't bad either.

    It has two SD slots, stick in a card and up pops a window asking what
    you'd like to do.

    Wireless is also perfect.