Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi - Linux ; "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." -Simon Slavin "A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard." -Leo (Bing) Whiteway ...

  1. Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.
    Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and
    Ferengi to do their programming."
    -Simon Slavin

    "A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake
    without mustard."
    -Leo (Bing) Whiteway

    The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they
    have absolutely no taste, and what that means is, I don't mean
    that in a small way I mean that in a big way. I have a problem
    with the fact that they just make really third rate products.
    -- Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds, PBS Documentary

    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will
    just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    -Linus Torvalds

    It has been shown in laboratory studies that the average
    chimpanzee can, with Visual Basic, create a new program
    which exploits some security hole in Microsoft Outlook
    within 10-15 minutes of random clicking on pictures.
    Your results may vary, depending on whether you have
    learned to use your opposable thumbs.
    -Visual Basic

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy
    operating systems."
    -Linus Torvalds

    "The fact remains that Microsoft's entire infrastructure
    is based on fundamentally flawed designs, not buggy code.
    These designs can't be changed. To change them, Microsoft
    would have to dump all existing APIs and break compatibility
    with everything up till now. ... And if Microsoft does
    change its ways, what incentive will you have to stick with
    Microsoft? If you have to start over from scratch to build
    your app in this new, secure Microsoft environment, will
    you pay the hundreds or thousands of dollars to go the
    Microsoft route, or the $0 to go with Linux?"

    -Charlie Demerjian

  2. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    invalid@example.com wrote:

    > "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will
    > just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    > -Linus Torvalds

    Yeah, he's been REAL successful at that...

  3. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    ____/ invalid@example.com on Tuesday 04 November 2008 14:34 : \____

    > "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.
    > Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and
    > Ferengi to do their programming."
    > -Simon Slavin
    >
    > "A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake
    > without mustard."
    > -Leo (Bing) Whiteway
    >
    > The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they
    > have absolutely no taste, and what that means is, I don't mean
    > that in a small way I mean that in a big way. I have a problem
    > with the fact that they just make really third rate products.
    > -- Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds, PBS Documentary
    >

    > "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will
    > just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    > -Linus Torvalds
    >
    > It has been shown in laboratory studies that the average
    > chimpanzee can, with Visual Basic, create a new program
    > which exploits some security hole in Microsoft Outlook
    > within 10-15 minutes of random clicking on pictures.
    > Your results may vary, depending on whether you have
    > learned to use your opposable thumbs.
    > -Visual Basic
    >
    > "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy
    > operating systems."
    > -Linus Torvalds
    >
    > "The fact remains that Microsoft's entire infrastructure
    > is based on fundamentally flawed designs, not buggy code.
    > These designs can't be changed. To change them, Microsoft
    > would have to dump all existing APIs and break compatibility
    > with everything up till now. ... And if Microsoft does
    > change its ways, what incentive will you have to stick with
    > Microsoft? If you have to start over from scratch to build
    > your app in this new, secure Microsoft environment, will
    > you pay the hundreds or thousands of dollars to go the
    > Microsoft route, or the $0 to go with Linux?"
    >
    > -Charlie Demerjian

    This morning I received this comment, which sounds illogical and highly
    unlikely:

    "I just heard that Novell is designing the OS for Windows 7. I live in Provo
    Utah and heard it from an insider that Novell is designing it w/ a flavor of
    Linux. I guess that M$ even admits that NT is loaded w/ security and stability
    issues."

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
    Swap: 4088500k total, 417880k used, 3670620k free, 264040k cached

  4. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ invalid@example.com on Tuesday 04 November 2008 14:34 : \____
    >

    >> "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.
    >> Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and
    >> Ferengi to do their programming."
    >> -Simon Slavin
    >>
    >> "A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake
    >> without mustard."
    >> -Leo (Bing) Whiteway
    >>
    >> The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they
    >> have absolutely no taste, and what that means is, I don't mean
    >> that in a small way I mean that in a big way. I have a problem
    >> with the fact that they just make really third rate products.
    >> -- Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds, PBS Documentary
    >>

    >> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will
    >> just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    >> -Linus Torvalds
    >>
    >> It has been shown in laboratory studies that the average
    >> chimpanzee can, with Visual Basic, create a new program
    >> which exploits some security hole in Microsoft Outlook
    >> within 10-15 minutes of random clicking on pictures.
    >> Your results may vary, depending on whether you have
    >> learned to use your opposable thumbs.
    >> -Visual Basic
    >>
    >> "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy
    >> operating systems."
    >> -Linus Torvalds
    >>
    >> "The fact remains that Microsoft's entire infrastructure
    >> is based on fundamentally flawed designs, not buggy code.
    >> These designs can't be changed. To change them, Microsoft
    >> would have to dump all existing APIs and break compatibility
    >> with everything up till now. ... And if Microsoft does
    >> change its ways, what incentive will you have to stick with
    >> Microsoft? If you have to start over from scratch to build
    >> your app in this new, secure Microsoft environment, will
    >> you pay the hundreds or thousands of dollars to go the
    >> Microsoft route, or the $0 to go with Linux?"
    >>
    >> -Charlie Demerjian

    > This morning I received this comment, which sounds illogical and highly
    > unlikely:
    >
    > "I just heard that Novell is designing the OS for Windows 7. I live in Provo
    > Utah and heard it from an insider that Novell is designing it w/ a flavor of
    > Linux. I guess that M$ even admits that NT is loaded w/ security and stability
    > issues."

    No way.

    Windows 7 is to linux as a moped is to the space shuttle.

    Windows 7 is to Vista as whale **** is to Quirk. If you cleaned up the
    whale **** a bit.

    --
    Windows hasn't increased computer literacy. It just lowered
    the standard.

  5. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    "Sinister Midget" wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>

    >> "I just heard that Novell is designing the OS for Windows 7. I live in
    >> Provo
    >> Utah and heard it from an insider that Novell is designing it w/ a flavor
    >> of
    >> Linux. I guess that M$ even admits that NT is loaded w/ security and
    >> stability
    >> issues."

    That's nothing! I saw where a guy in Ohio is claiming that Obama is a
    muslim.

  6. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    "Sinister Midget" wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> "I just heard that Novell is designing the OS for Windows 7. I live in
    >> Provo
    >> Utah and heard it from an insider that Novell is designing it w/ a flavor
    >> of
    >> Linux. I guess that M$ even admits that NT is loaded w/ security and
    >> stability
    >> issues."

    > No way.
    >
    > Windows 7 is to linux as a moped is to the space shuttle.

    On one level you're right. The moped (Windows) is accessible to millions of
    people as a common form of transportation. It's easy to use and can pretty
    much go anywhere you want. The space shuttle (Linux) is overly complex and
    far too daunting for all but a very few people.

    Mopeds are in use all over the globe and people are able to just use them
    without having to spends 100's of hours learning specialized skills.

    So sure... it's a great analogy. Windows is the common moped and Linux is a
    space shuttle. I suppose the few people who are involved with the space
    shuttle program are very proud of how complex and sophisticated their
    machine is. But for the 99.9999999999% of the people on the planet who
    aren't space shuttle pilots, they are very happy to have their moped.

  7. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    DFS wrote:
    > invalid@example.com wrote:
    >
    >> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will
    >> just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    >> -Linus Torvalds

    > Yeah, he's been REAL successful at that...

    The pace is picking up.

  8. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    Ben wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> invalid@example.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will
    >>> just be a completely unintentional side effect."
    >>> -Linus Torvalds

    >> Yeah, he's been REAL successful at that...

    > The pace is picking up.

    I hadn't noticed - maybe the "pace" is glacial?

    What did you see that made you [erroneously] think that?

  9. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    DFS wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Yeah, he's been REAL successful at that...

    >> The pace is picking up.

    > I hadn't noticed - maybe the "pace" is glacial?
    >
    > What did you see that made you [erroneously] think that?

    I've seen more machines with Ubuntu installed as the sole or primary OS
    in the last 18 months than ever before. And I see an increasing number
    every month.

  10. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Sinister Midget" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>>
    >>> "I just heard that Novell is designing the OS for Windows 7. I live in
    >>> Provo
    >>> Utah and heard it from an insider that Novell is designing it w/ a flavor
    >>> of
    >>> Linux. I guess that M$ even admits that NT is loaded w/ security and
    >>> stability
    >>> issues."

    >> No way.
    >>
    >> Windows 7 is to linux as a moped is to the space shuttle.

    > On one level you're right. The moped (Windows) is accessible to millions of
    > people as a common form of transportation. It's easy to use and can pretty
    > much go anywhere you want. The space shuttle (Linux) is overly complex and
    > far too daunting for all but a very few people.
    >
    > Mopeds are in use all over the globe and people are able to just use them
    > without having to spends 100's of hours learning specialized skills.
    >
    > So sure... it's a great analogy. Windows is the common moped and Linux is a
    > space shuttle. I suppose the few people who are involved with the space
    > shuttle program are very proud of how complex and sophisticated their
    > machine is. But for the 99.9999999999% of the people on the planet who
    > aren't space shuttle pilots, they are very happy to have their moped.

    Isn't there some kind of Godwin's law we can apply to analogies???? Yeesh!

    --
    "Cogito ergo I'm right and you're wrong."
    -- Blair Houghton

  11. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > Ezekiel belched:
    >
    >>> Windows 7 is to linux as a moped is to the space shuttle.

    >> On one level you're right. The moped (Windows) is accessible to
    >> millions of people as a common form of transportation. It's easy to use
    >> and can pretty much go anywhere you want. The space shuttle (Linux) is
    >> overly complex and far too daunting for all but a very few people.
    >>
    >> Mopeds are in use all over the globe and people are able to just use
    >> them without having to spends 100's of hours learning specialized
    >> skills.
    >>
    >> So sure... it's a great analogy. Windows is the common moped and Linux
    >> is a space shuttle. I suppose the few people who are involved with the
    >> space shuttle program are very proud of how complex and sophisticated
    >> their machine is. But for the 99.9999999999% of the people on the
    >> planet who aren't space shuttle pilots, they are very happy to have
    >> their moped.

    > Isn't there some kind of Godwin's law we can apply to analogies????
    > Yeesh!

    Oh yeah, on the netbooks, Windows is the moped, unable to match Linux's
    Space Shuttle performance. Yes, mopeds can travel up to 30 MPH (50 kph),
    but one dare not try in faster, busy travel lest they become a fatality
    (crash). There, Linux is like a small displacement crotch rocket. It can
    keep up with the traffic, cruise some but slow down enough and is gentle
    enough for the beginner.

    Great analogy, mopeds ...... (chuckle).

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:44:17 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "Sinister Midget" wrote in message
    >>> On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    >>> No way.
    >>>
    >>> Windows 7 is to linux as a moped is to the space shuttle.

    >> On one level you're right. The moped (Windows) is accessible to
    >> millions of people as a common form of transportation. It's easy to use
    >> and can pretty much go anywhere you want. The space shuttle (Linux) is
    >> overly complex and far too daunting for all but a very few people.
    >>
    >> Mopeds are in use all over the globe and people are able to just use
    >> them without having to spends 100's of hours learning specialized
    >> skills.
    >>
    >> So sure... it's a great analogy. Windows is the common moped and Linux
    >> is a space shuttle. I suppose the few people who are involved with the
    >> space shuttle program are very proud of how complex and sophisticated
    >> their machine is. But for the 99.9999999999% of the people on the
    >> planet who aren't space shuttle pilots, they are very happy to have
    >> their moped.

    Interesting that you compare a moped (windows) to the space ****tle
    (Linux).

    A moped, while common, is slow compared to The Shuttle. The Shuttle is
    also quite resilient to failure with 5 computers all "cooperating" with
    each other to ensure that the data and calculations are good. Mopeds have
    no such resiliency. The Shuttle is a completely enclosed and self-
    contained environment protecting its occupants from dust and debris.
    Mopeds aren't and don't. Also, the moped is susceptible to bugs.

    But seriously, Windows is more like a 90s car that is rusted out and has
    a blown engine. They rebuilt the engine, but couldn't replace the
    camshaft because they couldn't make the new camshaft work with the old
    push rods. The also didn't replace the rings on cylinder 5 for reasons
    only known to the rebuilders. They also patched up the body with bondo,
    but really, they should've removed entire sections, replacing them with
    new sheets and smoothed it with bondo. As it is, it now weighs 800lbs
    more than it did out of the factory. They didn't bother replacing the
    suspention, so it's still a bumpy ride and it sometimes bottoms out. And
    the rims... well, they came off a Honda Civic.

    Linux, is like a 1998 Chevy Truck. It has a V-8 Vortec designed with the
    latest technology and a new body design. It's in good shape with no rust,
    but it does have a dent in the box (I liken this to the XFree86/Xorg
    issue). The frame is actually 20 years old, but why change something
    that's a proven design and is a stable platform? And it has an
    aftermarket satellite radio in it. It runs on the same roads as the LTD,
    but doesn't leave any scrapes in the pavement.

    Okay, so my years are a little out. I just wanted to make a point that
    Linux, even though its built on ideas created in the 60s, is still a far
    better OS because they've been updating it and fixing it and securing it.

    Microsoft, IMO, has not. They've ignored the real problems and only
    patched up the body. Sure, it may look pretty, but the same problems
    remain.

    > Isn't there some kind of Godwin's law we can apply to analogies????
    > Yeesh!

    How about we just call it "Windows Troll Law" which means, the more the
    trolls speak, the less they have to say.

  13. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    On 2008-11-05, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Oh yeah, on the netbooks, Windows is the moped, unable to match Linux's
    > Space Shuttle performance. Yes, mopeds can travel up to 30 MPH (50 kph),
    > but one dare not try in faster, busy travel lest they become a fatality
    > (crash). There, Linux is like a small displacement crotch rocket. It can
    > keep up with the traffic, cruise some but slow down enough and is gentle
    > enough for the beginner.

    Crotch rocket?

    > Great analogy, mopeds ...... (chuckle).

    Actually, I didn't think it worked.

    I'd prefer to see Linux as a christmas toy.... a big box of Lego.

    Windows would be the fragile,expensive toy that breaks easy.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  14. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    Hmmm... I thought it was a euphemism for a ****.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  15. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> Crotch rocket?

    >> A sportbike (Kawasaki Ninja 250). Then, how about a 250 cc
    >> scooter?

    > Hmmm... I thought it was a euphemism for a ****.

    Definitely no, although someone like flatfish would twist it that
    way (which we seem to be spared of for the moment).

    --
    HPT

  16. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-06, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Crotch rocket?

    >> A sportbike (Kawasaki Ninja 250). Then, how about a 250 cc scooter?

    > Hmmm... I thought it was a euphemism for a ****.

    http://www.gdargaud.net/Humor/Pics/Cactus.jpg

    More on topic for motorcycles:

    http://agostinozamboni.com/2008/05/t...motorunicycle/

    --
    In a five year period we can get one superb programming language. Only
    we can't control when the five year period will begin.

  17. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    Verily I say unto thee, that invalid@example.com spake thusly:

    > It has been shown in laboratory studies that the average chimpanzee
    > can, with Visual Basic, create a new program which exploits some
    > security hole in Microsoft Outlook within 10-15 minutes of random
    > clicking on pictures. Your results may vary, depending on whether you
    > have learned to use your opposable thumbs.

    Is that a copy of DooFy's job description?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:34:48 up 2 days, 4:17, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.11

  18. Re: Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi

    On 2008-11-07, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> A sportbike (Kawasaki Ninja 250). Then, how about a 250 cc
    >>> scooter?

    >> Hmmm... I thought it was a euphemism for a ****.

    > Definitely no, although someone like flatfish would twist it that
    > way (which we seem to be spared of for the moment).

    We don't call 'em "crotch-rockets". We just call them rice burners.

    My old '81 CX500 is definitely NOT a crotch rocket. It's a sedate
    cruiser.... shaft drive... starts to get very light in the front end at
    speeds greater than 155kmh.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.