writing x11 app without titlebar and borders - Linux

This is a discussion on writing x11 app without titlebar and borders - Linux ; Hi there, I'm writing an application using libX11 which is showing the frames recorded by a camera. Everythimg is working quite well, but I want my application beeing shown as a fullscreen application taking the full resolution 1920x1200 of my ...

  1. writing x11 app without titlebar and borders

    Hi there,

    I'm writing an application using libX11 which is showing the frames
    recorded by a camera. Everythimg is working quite well, but I want my
    application beeing shown as a fullscreen application taking the full
    resolution 1920x1200 of my screen...

    How may I do this?

    Any help welcome

    Thanks and best regards,
    Johann

  2. Re: writing x11 app without titlebar and borders

    On a sunny day (Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:53:27 +0100) it happened Johann Horvat
    wrote in
    :

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I'm writing an application using libX11 which is showing the frames
    >recorded by a camera. Everythimg is working quite well, but I want my
    >application beeing shown as a fullscreen application taking the full
    >resolution 1920x1200 of my screen...
    >
    >How may I do this?
    >
    >Any help welcome
    >
    >Thanks and best regards,
    >Johann

    Well, you could open a window of 1980x1200,
    but then you would still need to scale your camera output.

    That last part (scaling) is something special all by itself.
    What you could do, to make it easier on yourself,
    is write the output in mjpegtools YUV format, and pipe for example to mplayer
    your_app | mplayer -fs -.

    I do this with mcamip, http://panteltje.com/panteltje/mcamip/
    it has its own simple X window in 640x480, but you can pipe it via mplayer,
    or via y4mscaler to anything else.

    As an alternative, perhaps more what you want,
    you could also have a look at this simple library:
    http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tinyptc/
    I have used it to scale pictures to full screen without borders in X11,
    it is a really small library.

  3. Re: writing x11 app without titlebar and borders

    Dear Jan,

    Thank you for your hints.
    I solved it by
    - using fluxbox as the window manager
    - and disabling all window decorations (see this link:
    http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/en/faq-dev.php)

    And: it works perfect!

    Best regards
    Johann

  4. Re: writing x11 app without titlebar and borders

    Johann Horvat wrote:
    > I'm writing an application using libX11 which is showing the frames
    > recorded by a camera. Everythimg is working quite well, but I want my
    > application beeing shown as a fullscreen application taking the full
    > resolution 1920x1200 of my screen...

    As far as your subject is concerned, you need to tell the window manager
    that your window doesn't want any decoration. Actually, there are some
    standard ways to solve this, though not every WM supports them. What I
    would look at is the sources to fspanel (though any similar one would
    probably work, too). This panel just tells the WM that it is part of the
    desktop and not an application window, so the WM doesn't add any
    decoration.

    BTW: your solution also works, but it isn't generally portable.

    Uli

+ Reply to Thread