[News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop - Linux

  2. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > German Foreign Ministry starts open source blitzkreig
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "The embassies in Japan and Korea have completely switched over, the embassy
    >| in Madrid has been exclusively using GNU/Linux since October last year," said
    >| Rolf Schuster, a diplomat at the German Embassy in Madrid.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itexaminer.com/german-for...litzkreig.aspx

    Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.

    http://www.osor.eu/news/de-foreign-m...far-the-lowest

    "The Foreign Ministry in 2001 began migrating its back-end IT systems to
    Open Source in order to provide all embassies and consulates with Internet
    access and email. "Our strategy was to use as far as possible Open
    Standards and Open Source. Reduction of costs was the main reason for this
    decision." Upon completion of this project, the ministry decided in
    ***2004*** to also migrate the desktops."

  3. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> German Foreign Ministry starts open source blitzkreig
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "The embassies in Japan and Korea have completely switched over, the embassy
    >>| in Madrid has been exclusively using GNU/Linux since October last year," said
    >>| Rolf Schuster, a diplomat at the German Embassy in Madrid.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.itexaminer.com/german-for...litzkreig.aspx

    > Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.

    Not odd at all.

    They are just being careful and thinking about the needs of their users.

    Unlike a certain consultant we all know, who does badly-planned cowboy
    solutions and then blames his tools.

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

  4. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    On 2008-11-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> http://www.itexaminer.com/german-for...litzkreig.aspx

    > Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.
    >
    > http://www.osor.eu/news/de-foreign-m...far-the-lowest
    >
    > "The Foreign Ministry in 2001 began migrating its back-end IT systems to
    > Open Source in order to provide all embassies and consulates with Internet
    > access and email. "Our strategy was to use as far as possible Open
    > Standards and Open Source. Reduction of costs was the main reason for this
    > decision." Upon completion of this project, the ministry decided in
    > ***2004*** to also migrate the desktops."

    So, you're of the opinion that everything that was in use before should
    be dropped cold and implemented under a whole new system all at once?

    No wonder you had so much trouble getting a simple firewall working.

    --
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.

  5. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

  6. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ Sinister Midget on Tuesday 04 November 2008 06:50 : \____
    >
    >> On 2008-11-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    >>> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > http://www.itexaminer.com/german-for...litzkreig.aspx
    >>>
    >>> Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.
    >>>

    > http://www.osor.eu/news/de-foreign-m...far-the-lowest
    >>>
    >>> "The Foreign Ministry in 2001 began migrating its back-end IT systems to
    >>> Open Source in order to provide all embassies and consulates with Internet
    >>> access and email. "Our strategy was to use as far as possible Open
    >>> Standards and Open Source. Reduction of costs was the main reason for this
    >>> decision." Upon completion of this project, the ministry decided in
    >>> ***2004*** to also migrate the desktops."

    >> So, you're of the opinion that everything that was in use before should
    >> be dropped cold and implemented under a whole new system all at once?
    >>
    >> No wonder you had so much trouble getting a simple firewall working.

    > A lot of people keep dual-booting for many years until a generation of
    > software 'fades' and the user conveniently goes GNU/Linux-only. I fall under
    > this category as well.

    I went cold turkey, and I highly recommend it.

    But to pretend that a business or government body should walk out of
    the building running one thing one day and walk in to run something
    completely different the next day is, to put it kindly, just plain
    ignorant and stupid.

    Any business which does that has bankruptcy as its business model.

    Any government agency which does that should see everybody fired and
    replaced by adults.

    Something that blatantly dumb is certainly befitting a Winders
    "consultant".

    --
    VISTA: Violently Invasive Severe Tyrannical Approach

  7. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> German Foreign Ministry starts open source blitzkreig
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "The embassies in Japan and Korea have completely switched over, the
    >>| embassy in Madrid has been exclusively using GNU/Linux since October
    >>| last year," said Rolf Schuster, a diplomat at the German Embassy in
    >>| Madrid.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.itexaminer.com

    german-foreign-ministry-starts-open-source-blitzkreig.aspx

    > Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.

    Odd that it took micoshaft 4 years to loose their shine and loose the
    contract as well.

    Micoshaft products are crap in government ministries and may well
    be in violation of procurement laws in EU. More reasons to sack
    windummies from being allowed to specify and have it all overseen
    by open source engineers who know more better alternatives.

    Me thinks customer now knows this after 4 years of wasting time on it.
    More reasons to switch to Linux earlier and get recruitment going before
    there is a crunch point.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  8. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    Mart van de Wege wrote:
    > Erik Funkenbusch writes:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> German Foreign Ministry starts open source blitzkreig
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.itexaminer.com/german-for...litzkreig.aspx

    >> Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.

    > Not odd at all. They are just being careful and thinking about
    > the needs of their users.
    >
    > Unlike a certain consultant we all know, who does
    > badly-planned cowboy solutions and then blames his tools.

    Or the other that uses Debian unstable as a basis for the so
    called, alleged problems with Debian stable, then criticises
    forks like Ubuntu.

    But we have a new one who speaks in the spirit of Hadron, again
    criticising advocates. I guess the economic situation is so poor
    that Direct-X software programmers are out of work, looking for
    contracts to post in COLA.

    --
    HPT

  9. Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

    Verily I say unto thee, that Erik Funkenbusch spake thusly:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> German Foreign Ministry starts open source blitzkreig

    [...]
    > Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.

    Odd that you're such a sore loser.

    4 years or 40, people are switching to Linux.

    Deal with it.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:21:13 up 2 days, 4:04, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.16, 0.12

+ Reply to Thread