What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure - Linux

This is a discussion on What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure - Linux ; El Reg is proud to announce that we have finally figured out what Microsoft Azure is. The Azure Services Platform is a cluster**** of software that can be broken down into four basic parts: [but problem with documentation]: tl;dr stands ...

  1. What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    El Reg is proud to announce that we have finally figured out what
    Microsoft Azure is.

    The Azure Services Platform is a cluster**** of software that can be
    broken down into four basic parts: [but problem with documentation]:

    tl;dr stands for “too long; didn't read,” and it is going to change
    communication as we know it. Product managers at both Amazon and
    Google have figured out what tl;dr means to their respective
    businesses, but the idea is clearly lost on Microsoft. When a
    developer is evaluating different hosted computing platforms for his
    next application, the merits of each one are decided by how well they
    are explained:

    Amazon EC2: We have a lot of servers, and we run Xen on them. You get
    virtual machines.

    Google App Engine: Run your Python code on our machines. You can use
    our scalable database, too, but you need to learn how it works.

    Microsoft Azure: OK, so first there's this operating system called
    Windows Azure that your apps are going to run on and will also be your
    development environment. There's some data storage that goes along
    with that, but it's not very useful, so we have the SQL Service. That
    doesn't really give you SQL, but something sorta similar. Ignore it
    for now. Still with me? There's also .NET Services that lets you
    connect applications together somehow, and Live Services because we
    needed something to keep Ray Ozzie busy. Wrap that all up, tape it
    together with some C# programming, and that's the platform.

    Fortunately for Microsoft, decision makers don't choose a hosted
    application platform based on specifications. They choose based on the
    number of stock photos of clouds and the amount of sans-serif blue
    typeface you have on your webpage. In that regard, Redmond is the
    clear winner.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/03/dziuba_azure/

  2. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    wrote in message

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/03/dziuba_azure/

    Can't you speak for yourself? Shestowitz at least throws in a comment of
    his own now than then, insipid as they usually are.

    Azure is a big deal in the sense that it takes a shot at truly monopolizing
    general computing. Windows Azure talks to the cloud as an attached device
    and content providers need not worry how that is done. Most of the computer
    users (say buyers) in the world do no really care how things are hooked up.
    They just want stuff to work as they expect. One thing that they currently
    expect is to see something that looks like a Windows GUI on their view
    screen. The content providers who feed on these users really only care
    about getting their e-business, advertising hits and clicks, and such like.
    Now consider the advent of Azure wherein Mr. Softee says to the users, "It
    just works!" and it does, with Windows Azure connecting to the MS Cloud
    where all the suppliers have placed their content with no more worries about
    hackers and such fooling about with their websites. Big Brother Bill (nee
    Steve) has all the keys to the many kingdoms and keeps strict order.

    Presumably the old internet will run in parallel for a long while, but
    eventually the commercial content will all be in the cloud along with as
    many amateurs as care to participate. The rest of the world, probably using
    Linux by then, will continue to fuss about, but will have been seriously
    marginalized like a bunch of ham radio operators in a cell phone world.

    I think that Redmond has just pushed their considerable bankroll into the
    middle and declared "All in!".

    Can clouds compete? Will the client OS play a role in whose cloud is rated
    as a 9 and whose is not? Rather than just snickering and sneering, you may
    want to think this through.

  3. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/03/dziuba_azure/
    >
    > Can't you speak for yourself? Shestowitz at least throws in a comment of
    > his own now than then, insipid as they usually are.
    >
    > Azure is a big deal in the sense that it takes a shot at truly monopolizing
    > general computing. Windows Azure talks to the cloud as an attached device

    ^^^^^
    Is this 'cloud' you speak of the global set of resources on the
    Internet, or....

    [snip]

    > just works!" and it does, with Windows Azure connecting to the MS Cloud

    ^^^^^^^^
    ....only the 'MS Cloud', a iny subset of the above resources?

    I appears that Microsoft never did 'get' the Internet and the power of
    the network effect.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    If God is perfect then why did He create discontinuous functions?

  4. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> wrote in message
    >>

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/03/dziuba_azure/
    >>
    >> Can't you speak for yourself? Shestowitz at least throws in a comment of
    >> his own now than then, insipid as they usually are.
    >>
    >> Azure is a big deal in the sense that it takes a shot at truly
    >> monopolizing
    >> general computing. Windows Azure talks to the cloud as an attached
    >> device

    > ^^^^^
    > Is this 'cloud' you speak of the global set of resources on the
    > Internet, or....
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> just works!" and it does, with Windows Azure connecting to the MS Cloud

    > ^^^^^^^^
    > ...only the 'MS Cloud', a iny subset of the above resources?

    Well, it looks like there is only one cloud to start with and that is
    Microsoft's cloud. Will there be others? Can you run your business if
    Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in using a cloud, then
    Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are interested in being the
    cloud, you are a competitor.

    > I appears that Microsoft never did 'get' the Internet and the power of
    > the network effect.

    And maybe you do not 'get' the power of being the market leader and being
    the one to supply everyone with what they think they want. If the consumers
    have no additional needs, they are satisfied regardless of your suggestion
    that there is something better. If Microsoft ends up with the first
    commercially viable cloud and the end to end solutions in place to use it,
    what happens to the market?

  5. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
    > > amicus_curious wrote:
    > >>
    > >> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/03/dziuba_azure/
    > >>
    > >> Can't you speak for yourself? Shestowitz at least throws in a comment of
    > >> his own now than then, insipid as they usually are.
    > >>
    > >> Azure is a big deal in the sense that it takes a shot at truly
    > >> monopolizing
    > >> general computing. Windows Azure talks to the cloud as an attached
    > >> device

    > > ^^^^^
    > > Is this 'cloud' you speak of the global set of resources on the
    > > Internet, or....
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > >> just works!" and it does, with Windows Azure connecting to the MS Cloud

    > > ^^^^^^^^
    > > ...only the 'MS Cloud', a iny subset of the above resources?
    > >

    > Well, it looks like there is only one cloud to start with and that is
    > Microsoft's cloud.

    The 'cloud' is here already. Where is Microsoft?

    > Will there be others? Can you run your business if
    > Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in using a cloud, then
    > Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are interested in being the
    > cloud, you are a competitor.

    Like Google. Or Amazon.

    > > I appears that Microsoft never did 'get' the Internet and the power of
    > > the network effect.
    > >

    > And maybe you do not 'get' the power of being the market leader and being
    > the one to supply everyone with what they think they want.

    Its being done. Today. Where is Microsoft?

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Have gnu, will travel.

  6. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:04:05 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > Well, it looks like there is only one cloud to start with and that
    > is Microsoft's cloud. Will there be others? Can you run your
    > business if Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in
    > using a cloud, then Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are
    > interested in being the cloud, you are a competitor.

    Shouldn't your nym be amicus_ignoramus?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

    : Amazon.com played a key role in the development of cloud computing by
    : modernizing their data centers after the dot-com bubble and (having
    : found the new cloud architecture resulted in significant internal
    : efficiency improvements) providing access to their systems by way of
    : Amazon Web Services in 2002 on a utility computing basis.[23]
    :
    : 2007 saw increased activity, including Google, IBM and a number of
    : universities embarking on a large scale cloud computing research
    : project,[24] around the time the term started gaining popularity in
    : the mainstream press. It was a hot topic by mid-2008 and numerous
    : cloud computing events had been scheduled.[25]

  7. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Paul Hovnanian P.E. belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Its being done. Today. Where is Microsoft?

    Sig material!

    --
    Preserve wildlife -- pickle a squirrel today!

  8. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Rob Schwenk belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:04:05 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Well, it looks like there is only one cloud to start with and that
    >> is Microsoft's cloud. Will there be others? Can you run your
    >> business if Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in
    >> using a cloud, then Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are
    >> interested in being the cloud, you are a competitor.

    > Shouldn't your nym be amicus_ignoramus?

    He's a shameless, bald-faced shill.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
    >
    >: Amazon.com played a key role in the development of cloud computing by
    >: modernizing their data centers after the dot-com bubble and (having
    >: found the new cloud architecture resulted in significant internal
    >: efficiency improvements) providing access to their systems by way of
    >: Amazon Web Services in 2002 on a utility computing basis.[23]
    >:
    >: 2007 saw increased activity, including Google, IBM and a number of
    >: universities embarking on a large scale cloud computing research
    >: project,[24] around the time the term started gaining popularity in
    >: the mainstream press. It was a hot topic by mid-2008 and numerous
    >: cloud computing events had been scheduled.[25]

    --
    "Good afternoon, madam. How may I help you?"

  9. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    > The 'cloud' is here already. Where is Microsoft?

    Sure it is here already, but it is not so popular. You could consider an
    anlogy of how there were home computers before IBM came along with a
    "Personal Computer". It is not enough to just be first, you must provide a
    value proposition. Windows Azure is the way to connect to the cloud, says
    Microsoft. How many do you think will listen?

    >> Will there be others? Can you run your business if
    >> Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in using a cloud,
    >> then
    >> Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are interested in being the
    >> cloud, you are a competitor.

    > Like Google. Or Amazon.

    How do you connect to it? Do they use Windows? That is the question the
    market will ask.

    >> > I appears that Microsoft never did 'get' the Internet and the power of
    >> > the network effect.
    >> >

    >> And maybe you do not 'get' the power of being the market leader and being
    >> the one to supply everyone with what they think they want.

    > Its being done. Today. Where is Microsoft?

    Newly announced and with an end to end solution. Do you think that is too
    late or not enough?

  10. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    "Rob Schwenk" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:04:05 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Well, it looks like there is only one cloud to start with and that
    >> is Microsoft's cloud. Will there be others? Can you run your
    >> business if Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in
    >> using a cloud, then Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are
    >> interested in being the cloud, you are a competitor.

    > Shouldn't your nym be amicus_ignoramus?

    Did Amazon or Google get a patent? Azure looks like an end to end solution
    that can be introduced to hundreds of millions of clients and a huge
    percentage of the content providers as a sort of fait accompli of the cloud
    world. I may be ignorant or you may just be blind. Which is it?

  11. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:6ygQk.84395$XB4.23105@bignews9.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Rob Schwenk belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:04:05 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, it looks like there is only one cloud to start with and that
    >>> is Microsoft's cloud. Will there be others? Can you run your
    >>> business if Microsoft owns the cloud? If you are only interested in
    >>> using a cloud, then Microsoft has a good deal for you. If you are
    >>> interested in being the cloud, you are a competitor.

    >> Shouldn't your nym be amicus_ignoramus?

    > He's a shameless, bald-faced shill.

    For what little you seem to actually write, why is it so predictably trite
    and uninteresting? You should be able to do better.

  12. Re: What Ray Ozzie didn't tell you about Microsoft Azure

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Its being done. Today. Where is Microsoft?
    > >

    > Newly announced and with an end to end solution. Do you think that is too
    > late or not enough?

    Too late. Businesses depend on 'the cloud' today. If demand for my new
    service picks up, I may need to have another 500 virtual servers added
    before end of business today. Amazon can do that. Google can, as can
    many others.

    I don't know what the hell Azure is. But I'm fairly certain I can't get
    my app up and running on it within a few hours.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Have gnu, will travel.

+ Reply to Thread