Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples - Linux ; Tim Smith writes: > In article , > Sinister Midget wrote: >> On 2008-11-07, Erik Funkenbusch claimed: >> > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:19:54 -0600, Terry Porter wrote: >> >> >> Why would I bother understanding Windows Powershell, I ...

  1. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <5d4du5-pt8.ln1@ue.harry.net>,
    > Sinister Midget wrote:

    >> > Know thy enemy? Get ideas to copy? Lament your wish that Linux had
    >> > something like it?
    >> >
    >> > Of course you won't do any of those things because you prefer ignorance.

    >> You mean I should rush out to learn Fortran because I don't use it? Do
    >> tell.
    >>
    >> Excuse me now. I have to get busy learning Cobol, .NYET, Pascal, AIX
    >> and hundreds of other languages I don't need because I don't use them,

    > Unless I missed them, you have not posted about Fortran. You've not
    > made numerous claims about its suitability vs. other languages for
    > various tasks (that you have no experience with). You don't include in
    > nearly every post of yours some comment about how Fortran sucks. So of
    > course it is reasonable for you to not bother to learn Fortran.
    >
    > Terry, on the other hand, shows a tremendous interest in Windows
    > technology. He has a hard time talking about anything in this group
    > without bringing up Windows. Hence, if he wants to at least present the
    > appearance of not being a stupid troll, he should want to actually learn
    > something about the subject before commenting so extensively on it.

    extensively and inaccurately. What on earth makes him think he is
    qualified. It seems he has a passing knowledge of iptables (why bother I
    ask since there are many good front ends to it anyway) and thinks that
    that qualifies him to talk about Linux technologies.

  2. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    In article ,
    Terry Porter wrote:

    > > I responded to the false comments

    > As yes, Erick The Wintroll, guardian of false Windows statements in a
    > LINUX ADVOCACY GROUP.

    Note Terry again implying that it's OK to lie about Windows in a Linux
    advocacy group.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    In article <861vxnc2qi.fsf@gareth.avalon.lan>,
    Mart van de Wege wrote:

    > >> In other words, Windows can't do it, so it is useless.
    > >>
    > >> Sour grapes.

    > > What part of "Yes, via WMI objects" did you take to mean "Windows can't
    > > do it"?

    > What part of 'However, ...' did *you* not understand?
    >
    > Moron. Can't even read your own language.

    I understood all of it. Too bad you can't say the same.

    Erik's response said two things:

    1. Yes, you can write a Powershell script to do the particular task that
    was asked for.

    2. Although you can do that, Windows already has a facility for doing
    that particular task, so that's not a particularly good example.

    If I asked if I can take the bus from Seattle to Los Angeles, and
    someone answered:

    Yes.

    However, there is little reason for taking that bus, since there is
    passenger train service between Seattle and Los Angeles that is much
    more comfortable and costs less.

    Would you read that as saying there is no bus service from Seattle to
    Los Angeles? I doubt it--but that's just the mistake you are making
    with Erik's answer.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> > I responded to the false comments

    >> As yes, Erick The Wintroll, guardian of false Windows statements in a
    >> LINUX ADVOCACY GROUP.

    > Note Terry again implying that it's OK to lie about Windows in a Linux
    > advocacy group.

    Interesting that you can stoop to such depths, Tim

    It is *Erik* who claims he is here to "correct" false claims about windows.
    And just too often "corrects" completely true ones with rubbish about
    linux.
    It is Erik who claims he uses linux daily. And has yet to come up with any
    evidence whatsoever that he knows more about it than how to write "linux".
    Nearly all of his claims prove that he knows next to nothing about it

    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

  5. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Steve Townsend writes:

    > Mart van de Wege writes:
    >
    >> Steve Townsend writes:

    >>> Wrong again. It is limited and why people must use xargs.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ss64.com/bash/xargs.html
    >>>

    >> Oh dear. Someone has heard something. Too bad it is not applicable.
    >>
    >> Dear idiot: xargs is meant to address the problem that the buffer size
    >> for the command line itself is fixed. This has nothing to do with how
    >> shell commands interact with STDIN.
    >>
    >> Come back when you actually *understand* what you parrot.
    >>
    >> Mart

    > Are you naturally stupid or just in the mood to argue?
    >
    > No one cares.
    >
    > The point is that one MUST use xargs in a lot of bash commands/scripts
    > since the tools bash allows you to use can not have unlimited input
    > commands.

    It's not relevant to what Chris wrote.

    Kapiche?

    Moron.

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

  6. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Hadron II quacked:

    >I do advocate linux. In the real world.

    Oh yes, I'm certain that you do, Larry^H^H^H^H^HSteve.

    --
    "I'm a true Linux advocate who want to see it succeed. Not same brain
    dead hippy with an unfulfillable dream." - "True Linux advocate"

  7. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Steve Townsend belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I did not have to do a "obligatory anything" you big headed arsehole.
    >
    > Tell me, did you see the replies your monumentally embarassing comments
    > about fwbuilder? Seriously, get some idea before you come here and post
    > your nonsense. I can add you to the two Chris guys for incompetence and
    > stupidity.
    >
    > Apologise for what? For correcting him? he's a clueless idiot from what
    > i can see. And then goes into little girly hissy fits and killfiles and
    > snips to try and hide his OWN mistakes.
    >
    > You really are a pretentious little twit. Get a life.
    >
    > I do advocate linux. In the real world. Corecting ridiculous comments
    > from you and Ahlstrom about X versus DirectX and FWBuilder is not "pro
    > windows" you silly little man.
    >
    > Oh go get a life you pompous fool.
    >
    > prove who I am? What the hell are you raving about? Are you insane?

    My God! Do you think? Could it be?

    Hadron has a /twin/ brother?

    Or has Hadron gone the way of flatfish sock puppetry?

  8. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Steve Townsend belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I did not have to do a "obligatory anything" you big headed arsehole.
    >>
    >> Tell me, did you see the replies your monumentally embarassing comments
    >> about fwbuilder? Seriously, get some idea before you come here and post
    >> your nonsense. I can add you to the two Chris guys for incompetence and
    >> stupidity.
    >>
    >> Apologise for what? For correcting him? he's a clueless idiot from what
    >> i can see. And then goes into little girly hissy fits and killfiles and
    >> snips to try and hide his OWN mistakes.
    >>
    >> You really are a pretentious little twit. Get a life.
    >>
    >> I do advocate linux. In the real world. Corecting ridiculous comments
    >> from you and Ahlstrom about X versus DirectX and FWBuilder is not "pro
    >> windows" you silly little man.
    >>
    >> Oh go get a life you pompous fool.
    >>
    >> prove who I am? What the hell are you raving about? Are you insane?

    > My God! Do you think? Could it be?
    >
    > Hadron has a /twin/ brother?

    Yes. And every bit as stupid

    > Or has Hadron gone the way of flatfish sock puppetry?

    Naah, can't be. After all, Hadron is a "true linux advocate". And never
    lies...
    --
    The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
    to choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

  9. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mart van de Wege spake thusly:
    > Steve Townsend writes:

    >> The point is that one MUST use xargs in a lot of bash
    >> commands/scripts

    Yes, if you're clueless.

    >> since the tools bash allows you to use

    You mean any other script or elf binary executable?

    So which tools are on Bash's "not allowed to use" list?

    Idiot.

    >> can not have unlimited input

    And PowerShell can?

    So PowerShell will accept ARGS 100 billion characters in length?

    > Moron.

    Exactly.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:18:22 up 2 days, 4:01, 4 users, load average: 0.17, 0.21, 0.13

  10. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:07:04 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:

    > Very well said. His Linux knowledge appears to be patchy at best too.

    It's the old Wintroll two step.

    You and Erik Wintroll make such a lovely couple, sadly you're too
    ignorant to fall in love, and Eriks too dumb to know.

  11. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:45:42 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:

    > Terry Porter writes:

    >>> Established or not, if he talks nonsense about things he knows nothing
    >>> about then expect some response.

    >> "Some response" and "your response " are two different things.

    >>> In and out for a while.

    >> Ok, don't answer the question. It's my opinion you are a newly hatched
    >> Wintroll.
    >>
    >> And you haven't read COLA for the obligatory 3 months yet, judging by
    >> your ignorance.

    > I did not have to do a "obligatory anything" you big headed arsehole.

    Ok, so we have established you're just the usual lowlife Wintroll, who
    has probably switched ID after being laughed out of Cola.

    You are also totally ignorant of Usenet mores.

    "When joining a new news group, read it for three months before posting"
    Q: What if I cant wait three months to post something ?
    A: Then wait six months before posting.

  12. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:41:26 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:

    > Mart van de Wege writes:
    >
    >> Steve Townsend writes:

    >>> Wrong again. It is limited and why people must use xargs.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ss64.com/bash/xargs.html
    >>>

    >> Oh dear. Someone has heard something. Too bad it is not applicable.
    >>
    >> Dear idiot: xargs is meant to address the problem that the buffer size
    >> for the command line itself is fixed. This has nothing to do with how
    >> shell commands interact with STDIN.
    >>
    >> Come back when you actually *understand* what you parrot.
    >>
    >> Mart

    > Are you naturally stupid or just in the mood to argue?
    >
    > No one cares.

    I care what Mart says, he's informed and has a *major* clue about Linux.

    You ....

    Just another clueless Wintroll.

  13. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:07:04 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >

    >> Very well said. His Linux knowledge appears to be patchy at best too.

    > It's the old Wintroll two step.
    >
    > You and Erik Wintroll make such a lovely couple, sadly you're too
    > ignorant to fall in love, and Eriks too dumb to know.

    It's a silly gambit of making up stuff that somebody said and then using it
    to denigrate them. The funny thing is that people will read the posts and
    decide for themselves -- therefore the claims made are just a game meant to
    make someone angry.

    We've had that same skunky odor here before.

    Hadron II, much like the old Hadron.

    --
    MSDOS is not dead, it just smells that way.
    -- Henry Spencer

  14. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 5, 8:35*am, Tom Shelton wrote:
    > The things that makes powershell powerfull is it's object oriented
    > nature. *If you want a fair evaluation of powershell vs bash, take a
    > look at this article from Linux magazine:
    >
    > http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/7...PowerShell.pdf

    Tom - I agree that that article is a fair analysis. Here is another
    way to do it:

    PS>gwmi win32_operatingsystem |fl csname,v*,Se*

    csname : JPSLAP14
    Version : 6.0.6001
    SerialNumber : 92516-084-6394436-76439
    ServicePackMajorVersion : 1
    ServicePackMinorVersion : 0

    By default you get this:

    PS>gwmi win32_operatingsystem

    SystemDirectory : E:\Windows\system32
    BuildNumber : 6001
    RegisteredUser : Windows User
    SerialNumber : 92516-084-6394436-76439
    Version : 6.0.6001

    Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    Windows PowerShell Architect
    Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

  15. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 6, 12:10*pm, Mart van de Wege
    wrote:
    > Powershell looks nice, a decent shell at least. But as a scripting
    > environment, it still doesn't stack up to a standard Linux install,
    > IMO.

    Unix has a 30 year head start on us (because we screwed up for most of
    that period :-) ) give us couple releases and then judge.

    > Seeing as that you know a bit more of it, how does it stack up in
    > interaction with the rest of the system? I know it can handle .NET
    > objects, but does that cover direct access to kernel parameters and
    > events?

    We added those to V2. We'll have a CTP (like a beta) of that in Dec.

    > Can you, say, write a Powershell script as an event handler to run on
    > hardware changes? Like, e.g., changing the processor powersaving mode
    > on disconnecting the AC on a laptop?

    Yes.

    Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    Windows PowerShell Architect
    Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

  16. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 6, 1:40*pm, Mart van de Wege wrote:
    > One good shell does not a replacement for 30 years of tool development
    > make.

    That is a fair rock to throw at us.
    It will take us a while to approach the great coverage and environment
    that Unix has always enjoyed.
    That said, the thing I love most about Microsoft is that we are
    incapable of sustained error and once the immune system gets turned
    on, we can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. The proof
    of the pudding is in the eating so let's just wait and see were we are
    in a couple years.

    Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    Windows PowerShell Architect
    Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

  17. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, jsnover13@hotmail.com belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Nov 5, 8:35*am, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> The things that makes powershell powerfull is it's object oriented
    >> nature. *If you want a fair evaluation of powershell vs bash, take a
    >> look at this article from Linux magazine:
    >>
    >> http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/7...PowerShell.pdf
    >>

    > Tom - I agree that that article is a fair analysis. Here is another
    > way to do it:
    >
    >PS>gwmi win32_operatingsystem |fl csname,v*,Se*
    >
    > csname : JPSLAP14
    > Version : 6.0.6001
    > SerialNumber : 92516-084-6394436-76439
    > ServicePackMajorVersion : 1
    > ServicePackMinorVersion : 0
    >
    > Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    > Windows PowerShell Architect
    > Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    > Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

    Who called in the Big Gun?

    --
    "I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid"
    -- Bishop, the artificial person, from _Aliens_

  18. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    jsnover13@hotmail.com writes:

    > On Nov 6, 1:40*pm, Mart van de Wege wrote:
    >> One good shell does not a replacement for 30 years of tool development
    >> make.

    > That is a fair rock to throw at us.
    > It will take us a while to approach the great coverage and environment
    > that Unix has always enjoyed.

    I know that, you know that. Now tell that to the fanboys here. I'm a
    *nix guy, always have been. I know how much the Unix environment has
    *evolved*.

    > That said, the thing I love most about Microsoft is that we are
    > incapable of sustained error and once the immune system gets turned
    > on, we can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.

    I dunno.

    I see plenty of signs of NIH and 'patch mentality' in the end
    products; 'patch mentality' meaning a new feature is added to work
    around a shortcoming, instead of fixing the fundamental problem. UAC,
    for example. Or the fact that I have to keep explaining basic SMTP to
    Exchange admins. Do you know how non-obvious the location to set the
    HELO name is?

    The end result is getting better, in the professional lines at
    least. The consumer and client OS lines are getting worse IMO.

    There is also an obvious 'OH, SHINY!' mentality. How many component
    models have been pushed as 'the next big thing' now? All your hard
    work will be in vain if another team manages to get the ear of
    management and the company starts pushing something new.

    I have no doubt you guys have some brilliant developers. Some products
    aren't bad at all, if you discount the fact that Windows is just plain
    different from *nix. But on the whole, I think you still have a ways
    to go.

    > The proof of the pudding is in the eating so let's just wait and see
    > were we are in a couple years.

    Obviously.

    I see some good directions. Powershell is a good idea. IIS6 is not
    half the nightmare IIS5 was. Exchange no longer barfs monthly on a
    corrupted mailstore.

    On the other hand, there is the Vista disaster.

    And I'm not even talking about the things Sales & Marketing and Legal
    pull.

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

  19. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 8, 5:04*am, jsnove...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 8:35*am, Tom Shelton wrote:> The things that makes powershell powerfull is it's object oriented
    > > nature. *If you want a fair evaluation of powershell vs bash, take a
    > > look at this article from Linux magazine:

    > >http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/7...PowerShell.pdf

    > Tom - I agree that that article is a fair analysis. * Here is another
    > way to do it:
    >
    > PS>gwmi win32_operatingsystem |fl csname,v*,Se*
    >
    > csname * * * * * * * * *: JPSLAP14
    > Version * * * * * * * * : 6.0.6001
    > SerialNumber * * * * * *: 92516-084-6394436-76439
    > ServicePackMajorVersion : 1
    > ServicePackMinorVersion : 0
    >
    > By default you get this:
    >
    > PS>gwmi win32_operatingsystem
    >
    > SystemDirectory : E:\Windows\system32
    > Organization * *:
    > BuildNumber * * : 6001
    > RegisteredUser *: Windows User
    > SerialNumber * *: 92516-084-6394436-76439
    > Version * * * * : 6.0.6001
    >
    > Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    > Windows PowerShell Architect
    > Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: * *http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    > Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

    Nice. Still learning PowerShell, myself. Thanks.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  20. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Mart van de Wege belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > jsnover13@hotmail.com writes:
    >
    >> That said, the thing I love most about Microsoft is that we are
    >> incapable of sustained error and once the immune system gets turned
    >> on, we can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.

    I always get a chuckle out of Microsoftian terms: "sustained error",
    "immune system".

    I saw a funny one the other day: "surface area".

    As far as "sustained error", well, Microsoft does know how to "sell boxes".

    However, look at their major "sustained error" with open formats and
    interoperability in general. Guess it doesn't "sell enough boxes".

    > I have no doubt you guys have some brilliant developers. Some products
    > aren't bad at all, if you discount the fact that Windows is just plain
    > different from *nix. But on the whole, I think you still have a ways
    > to go.
    >
    >> The proof of the pudding is in the eating so let's just wait and see
    >> were we are in a couple years.

    Maybe you should concentrate on IronRuby and IronPython.

    > I see some good directions. Powershell is a good idea. IIS6 is not
    > half the nightmare IIS5 was. Exchange no longer barfs monthly on a
    > corrupted mailstore.
    >
    > On the other hand, there is the Vista disaster.
    >
    > And I'm not even talking about the things Sales & Marketing and Legal
    > pull.

    That's the "trouble" with Microsoft. They're not all bad at all, but when
    they're bad, they're very very bad.

    --
    damn my office is cold.
    need a hot secretary to warm it up.