Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples - Linux ; In article , Terry Porter wrote: > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:07:54 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote: > > > > Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and hope not to > > be called on it. ...

  1. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    In article ,
    Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:07:54 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >

    > > Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and hope not to
    > > be called on it. I was trying to help you clearly fancy yourself as some
    > > kind of luminary in this group. Try this rubbish in real linux groups
    > > and you will find far ruder people than me.

    > You're obviously new here on COLA, perhaps even new to Linux, judging
    > from your total lack of respect to an established Linux advocate like
    > Chris.

    That's one of Terry's Rules of COLA: it's OK for "linux advocates" to
    show disrespect toward others, but not OK for those others to respond in
    kind.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:07:54 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >>

    >> > Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and hope not to
    >> > be called on it. I was trying to help you clearly fancy yourself as
    >> > some kind of luminary in this group. Try this rubbish in real linux
    >> > groups and you will find far ruder people than me.

    >> You're obviously new here on COLA, perhaps even new to Linux, judging
    >> from your total lack of respect to an established Linux advocate like
    >> Chris.

    > That's one of Terry's Rules of COLA: it's OK for "linux advocates" to
    > show disrespect toward others, but not OK for those others to respond in
    > kind.

    You seem to have memory problems.

    Remember the time when Erik Funkenbusch was a respected "windows advocate"
    and, although from the "wrong" side, still taken to be a levelheaded guy?

    *He* himself destroyed that image by being the dishonest astroturfer he
    obviously really is. He showed utter disrespect, he invented all kinds
    of "problems" for linux, he did not admit being wrong (when in reality he
    simply lied).

    Remember flatfishs many attempts at being a "fair guy, testing linux"? All
    the time in ended in flatfish being the incredible cretinous asshole,
    racist and outright swine he really is.

    And naturally DFS many lies don't bother you. The forging of posters by
    the "level3-cretin" is just normal for you.

    The list could go on endlessly, and those are all examples of windows using
    filth to disrupt the newsgroup. They were not "responses in kind" to
    behaviour of linux advocates in *this* *group*

    --
    Avoid reality at all costs.

  3. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    news:IqmdnSBlgq8AMo_UnZ2dnUVZ_rvinZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:43:39 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 5, 5:57 am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out

    >>> I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives
    >>> using only Powershell and command-line commands.
    >>>

    >> Out of the box, probably not.

    > There ya go folks, the debate is over. Kelsey has shown that the old
    > Linux shell is still far superior to Eriks "PowerShill"

    Are you kidding? That's just *one* single example. There are 1-liners in
    Cobol and Fortran that can't be duplicated in C/C++ or Python so does that
    make Cobol or Fortran a better language? There are also Powershell snippets
    that can't be duplicated as easily in Bash.

    One example proves nothing and establishes nothing as "far superior" to
    anything. Only a fool would believe otherwise.

  4. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Terry Porter writes:

    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:43:39 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 5, 5:57*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out

    >>> I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives
    >>> using only Powershell and command-line commands.
    >>>

    >> Out of the box, probably not.

    > There ya go folks, the debate is over. Kelsey has shown that the old
    > Linux shell is still far superior to Eriks "PowerShill"

    Is this a habit in this group to talk about things you know little
    about? That's three people at it now. You really think this one example
    proves anything? FWIW, I think that some of the Linux shells (you do
    know there are lots, right) are much better than powershell. But dont
    try to prove it with such spurious data man.

  5. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:07:54 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >

    >> Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and hope not to
    >> be called on it. I was trying to help you clearly fancy yourself as some
    >> kind of luminary in this group. Try this rubbish in real linux groups
    >> and you will find far ruder people than me.

    > You're obviously new here on COLA, perhaps even new to Linux, judging
    > from your total lack of respect to an established Linux advocate like
    > Chris.
    >
    > How long have you been reading COLA ?

    He's pulling the same bull**** gambit as Hadron. Swagger in here and look
    for someone he thinks (for whatever quixotic and stupid reasons) is "the
    sheriff", then try to gun him down. And with the same attitude of
    miscontruing, misapprehension, belittling, and denigration.

    Weird as hell.

    I don't consider myself any kind of "luminary". Hadron II is simply trying
    to raise me up as a straw man so he can knock me down.

    All I do is respond as I see fit when something strikes me as bull****, and
    provide links as support (as opposed to proof, which is impossible in
    arguments that are primarily opinion or trolling.)

    As far as Hadron II goes, I've had enough of that kind of personal attack
    and counterattack with Hadron I. Engaging in a pissing contest with a piss
    ant? Yeah, that'll keep me clean.

    --
    Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
    -- Wm. Shakespeare, "The Tempest"

  6. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:07:54 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >>

    >> > Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and hope not to
    >> > be called on it. I was trying to help you clearly fancy yourself as some
    >> > kind of luminary in this group. Try this rubbish in real linux groups
    >> > and you will find far ruder people than me.

    >> You're obviously new here on COLA, perhaps even new to Linux, judging
    >> from your total lack of respect to an established Linux advocate like
    >> Chris.

    > That's one of Terry's Rules of COLA: it's OK for "linux advocates" to
    > show disrespect toward others, but not OK for those others to respond in
    > kind.

    Keep it sweet, Pete.

    --
    A LISP programmer knows the value of everything, but the cost of nothing.
    -- Alan Perlis

  7. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Nov 5, 3:37*pm, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    >> * this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> > I think if you worked with it a bit, and could get over the whole -
    >> > "If it's from MS it must suck" mentality - I think you would find that
    >> > streaming objects through a pipeline is a pretty powerful concept.

    >> Well, maybe the "pash" app that Mike linked to would be useful, then.
    >>
    >> Powershell is not, for Linux users.

    > That's true. At least for now. But since, PowerShell is based
    > on .NET, you should be able to port it to Mono
    >
    >> I think I'd stick with Python.

    > Not a bad choice, if you really need to be cross platform.

    Why wouldn't I be? I, personally, would really have a hard time dealing
    /only/ with Windows systems. Much prefer Linux.

    Hell, I'd rather spend all my time on Solaris than on Windows.

    --
    It is a profoundly erroneous truism, repeated by all copy-books and
    by eminent people when they are making speeches, that we should cultivate

  8. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Duh... I just figured it out. put it in a here string base64
    > encoded. I do this all the time to put stuff in xml

    You sure you can't avoid the bloat of encoding and just tack the binary data
    onto the end of your script, the way bash can?

    Jeez, the sniglet below doesn't seem right. I thought "telepression" was
    the boggy feeling you get when you keep watching teevee long after the
    enjoyment stopped.

    --
    telepression, n.:
    The deep-seated guilt which stems from knowing that you did not try

  9. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:07:54 +0100, Steve Townsend wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and hope not to
    >>> be called on it. I was trying to help you clearly fancy yourself as some
    >>> kind of luminary in this group. Try this rubbish in real linux groups
    >>> and you will find far ruder people than me.

    >> You're obviously new here on COLA, perhaps even new to Linux, judging
    >> from your total lack of respect to an established Linux advocate like
    >> Chris.

    Established or not, if he talks nonsense about things he knows nothing
    about then expect some response.

    >> How long have you been reading COLA ?

    In and out for a while. Why? Who are you? Are the boss of this
    newsgroup? Why are you supporting someone who posts wrong information
    and, apparently, lies on a regular basis. A quick Google shows that this
    Chris guy is not new to posting rubbish. DirectX and X indeed!

    > He's pulling the same bull**** gambit as Hadron. Swagger in here and look
    > for someone he thinks (for whatever quixotic and stupid reasons) is "the
    > sheriff", then try to gun him down. And with the same attitude of
    > miscontruing, misapprehension, belittling, and denigration.

    You think of yourself as the Sheriff? Really? Oh no. This is getting
    sillier. I think I shall return to the real programmers groups where
    nonsense such as yours is dealt with swiftly.

    > Weird as hell.
    >
    > I don't consider myself any kind of "luminary". Hadron II is simply trying
    > to raise me up as a straw man so he can knock me down.

    Actually I was just trying to correct you. You ****y swaggering led me
    to follow up further. I will give you a hint for free though and that is
    if you do not know about a subject do not pretend you do. It is obvious
    to all you know nothing about the subjects.

    > All I do is respond as I see fit when something strikes me as bull****, and
    > provide links as support (as opposed to proof, which is impossible in
    > arguments that are primarily opinion or trolling.)

    Why are you telling lies? We were discussing X and direct X and you
    started posting Google cuts which disagreed with your previous posts. if
    you have some private agenda against me then tell me and I wont bother
    correcting your mistakes.

    > As far as Hadron II goes, I've had enough of that kind of personal attack
    > and counterattack with Hadron I. Engaging in a pissing contest with a piss
    > ant? Yeah, that'll keep me clean.

    I'm confused here. You expect to post things which are obviously wrong
    and not have someone mention it? I see from other replies that others
    have done the same to you too but you ignore them. All I can say is that
    this Hadron II guy clearly had good reasons to put you right.

  10. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Nov 5, 3:37*pm, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    >>> * this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Well, maybe the "pash" app that Mike linked to would be useful, then.
    >>>
    >>> Powershell is not, for Linux users.

    >> That's true. At least for now. But since, PowerShell is based
    >> on .NET, you should be able to port it to Mono
    >>
    >>> I think I'd stick with Python.

    >> Not a bad choice, if you really need to be cross platform.

    > Why wouldn't I be? I, personally, would really have a hard time dealing
    > /only/ with Windows systems. Much prefer Linux.
    >
    > Hell, I'd rather spend all my time on Solaris than on Windows.

    What do you use computers for that you can use Linux all the time?

  11. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > Terry Porter belched:
    >> Steve Townsend wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hadron? You have at least twice today spouted nonsense and
    >>> hope not to be called on it. I was trying to help you
    >>> clearly fancy yourself as some kind of luminary in this
    >>> group. Try this rubbish in real linux groups and you will
    >>> find far ruder people than me.

    >> You're obviously new here on COLA, perhaps even new to
    >> Linux, judging from your total lack of respect to an
    >> established Linux advocate like Chris.
    >>
    >> How long have you been reading COLA ?

    > He's pulling the same bull**** gambit as Hadron. Swagger in
    > here and look for someone he thinks (for whatever quixotic and
    > stupid reasons) is "the sheriff", then try to gun him down.
    > And with the same attitude of miscontruing, misapprehension,
    > belittling, and denigration.
    >
    > Weird as hell.
    >
    > I don't consider myself any kind of "luminary". Hadron II is
    > simply trying to raise me up as a straw man so he can knock me
    > down.
    >
    > All I do is respond as I see fit when something strikes me as
    > bull****, and provide links as support (as opposed to proof,
    > which is impossible in arguments that are primarily opinion or
    > trolling.)
    >
    > As far as Hadron II goes, I've had enough of that kind of
    > personal attack and counterattack with Hadron I. Engaging in
    > a pissing contest with a piss ant? Yeah, that'll keep me
    > clean.

    This troll is carrying on similar type ad hominen criticisms of
    advocates as Hadron. I imagine the troll papacy had a holiday
    after contract expiration. Requests for Proposals came in using
    the same previous Statement of Work. Bingo, a persona match,
    bilateral signatures, contract award, now in contract execution
    for progress report and payment.

    http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

    Ad hominem troll

    Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
    rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

    The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
    about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
    being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
    troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
    discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
    indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
    emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
    self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
    most troll types.

    The simple ad hominem troll is easily detected and dealt with by
    calling them on their ad hominem attacks.

    However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse with
    seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy etc. Using
    rational tone, they may lull you into thinking that they are
    rational in general and thus their entire message should be
    considered rational. Once they have established such an
    impression, then they will then descend into personal attacks
    which may even sound reasonably worded, until you recognize them
    for what they are, nothing more than personal attacks.

    Example: thacker. thacker starts by ignoring the previous comment
    (which itself was a rational challenge to thacker's earlier
    statements), repeating himself (see the section below on
    Repeating themselves), then moves onto an analogy. Afterwards he
    continues with personal attacks, starting subtly worded, then
    increasingly harsh:

    * "some here, yourself included, will not see nor understand
    the parallels"
    * "Your noses are simply buried too deeply into the
    proverbial bark."
    * "Or you lack the courage, will, ability to step away and
    ask the truly difficult questions. That is a shame."
    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 6, 5:34*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    > * this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > Duh... *I just figured it out. *put it in a here string base64
    > > encoded. *I do this all the time to put stuff in xml

    > You sure you can't avoid the bloat of encoding and just tack the binary data
    > onto the end of your script, the way bash can?

    I'm pretty sure it's the only way it can be done.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  13. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron II belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >
    >> He's pulling the same bull**** gambit as Hadron. Swagger in here and look
    >> for someone he thinks (for whatever quixotic and stupid reasons) is "the
    >> sheriff", then try to gun him down. And with the same attitude of
    >> miscontruing, misapprehension, belittling, and denigration.

    > You think of yourself as the Sheriff? Really? Oh no. This is getting
    > sillier. I think I shall return to the real programmers groups where
    > nonsense such as yours is dealt with swiftly.

    See what I mean by "Hadron II"? Almost exactly the same faulty reading
    comprehension, misapprehension, misconstruing, followed by belittling,
    denigration, and pomposity.

    Does Microsoft have a vat where they grow these thick types?

    --
    I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know
    what his grandson will be.

  14. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Steve Townsend belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    --
    Two can Live as Cheaply as One for Half as Long.
    -- Howard Kandel

  15. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 6, 1:49*am, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:43:39 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    > > On Nov 5, 5:57*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out

    > >> I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives
    > >> using only Powershell and command-line commands.

    > > Out of the box, probably not.

    > There ya go folks, the debate is over. Kelsey has shown that the old
    > Linux shell is still far superior to Eriks "PowerShill"

    So tell me, Terry - how do you do it in bash? Wait, you don't - bash
    relies on external tools to do those things. Bash is a way to glue a
    bunch of things together, as is Powershell. The problem here is not
    so much bash vs powershell, but the availability of tools. And no one
    is claiming that windows comes with more commandline tools then Linux
    - it doesn't.

    But, there are things that Windows exposes via COM interfaces, etc
    that can be called directly by powershell. For instance, zip
    functionality. When I said that, I wasn't aware of the systems
    Shell.Application object - you can use it to create and extract zip
    files.

    Did you read the article on powershell from Linux magazine? These
    little examples don't prove anything at all. And as for your wanting
    a powershell example like Kelsey - well, assuming you have cygwin
    installed, you could just invoke the cygwin commands from powershell.
    So basically, it would look the same.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  16. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron II belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >>
    >>> He's pulling the same bull**** gambit as Hadron. Swagger in here and look
    >>> for someone he thinks (for whatever quixotic and stupid reasons) is "the
    >>> sheriff", then try to gun him down. And with the same attitude of
    >>> miscontruing, misapprehension, belittling, and denigration.

    >> You think of yourself as the Sheriff? Really? Oh no. This is getting
    >> sillier. I think I shall return to the real programmers groups where
    >> nonsense such as yours is dealt with swiftly.

    > See what I mean by "Hadron II"? Almost exactly the same faulty reading
    > comprehension, misapprehension, misconstruing, followed by belittling,
    > denigration, and pomposity.

    You mentioned Sheriff. I never did. I certainly never saw you as him
    either. I just saw you as a rather silly little man with ideas bigger
    than his skills can support. It is you doing the insulting. I merely
    corrected you.

    > Does Microsoft have a vat where they grow these thick types?

    More lies. I do not work for MS. I have no love for Windows. I do
    however know how to administer Linux and Windows machines. Clearly the
    fact you claim to be a Linux developer means you think you do not need
    to learn how to look after a Windows machine. It really is not
    difficult. My offer to help you stays open.

  17. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Steve Townsend belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    Why do you snip corrections? Why do you reply? Here are my comments
    again:

    What do you use computers for that you can use Linux all the time?

    Can you answer that? Or were you lying there too?

  18. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On 2008-11-06, Terry Porter claimed:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 03:30:49 -0800, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >
    >> [snips]

    >>> For a trivial, contrived example. A one line command is a one line
    >>> command, regardless of environment. It can't really get any simpler,
    >>> or more powerful.

    >> Err... a one-liner can be a fairly powerful critter. Try this:
    >>
    >> " does. - /wwwdata | ssh ssh user@host "dd of=/path/wwwdata.tar.gz"

    > We are all waiting for your "PowerShill" equivalent to Kelseys example
    > Erik ...

    He's probably out "resetting" his firewall rules to make it work.

    --
    VISTA: Venereal Infections/Sexually-Transmitted Ailments

  19. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 6, 1:46*am, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 03:30:49 -0800, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > > [snips]

    > >> For a trivial, contrived example. *A one line command is a one line
    > >> command, regardless of environment. *It can't really get any simpler,
    > >> or more powerful.

    > > Err... a one-liner can be a fairly powerful critter. *Try this:

    > > " does. - /wwwdata | ssh ssh user@host "dd of=/path/wwwdata.tar.gz"

    > We are all waiting for your "PowerShill" equivalent to Kelseys example
    > Erik ...
    >
    > --
    > Linux full time, on the desktop, since August 1997

    I think there is some confusion between what is bash vs what is an
    external applicaiton. The only thing that is bash in the above is the
    |. Bash forms the glue between the tar application and the ssh
    application.

    So, assuming you have the tools installed on windows (on both ends of
    the pipe), then the command would look exactly the same. Those tools
    could be there via cygwin or maybe even SFU.

    These sort of examples do not compare shells really, the compare the
    toolset installed.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  20. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On 2008-11-06, Steve Townsend wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom writes:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Steve Townsend belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>

    > Why do you snip corrections? Why do you reply? Here are my comments
    > again:
    >
    > What do you use computers for that you can use Linux all the time?
    >
    > Can you answer that? Or were you lying there too?

    On the subject of what you can use Linux for and avoid using Windows in the process...

    Here's an adhoc list...

    1) Media server
    --- Record and watch TV shows
    --- Archive interesting TV shows
    --- Edit Video
    --- Listen to music
    --- Watch DVDs with virtual Jukebox
    --- Rip and compress DVDs

    2) Websurfing
    -- Managing finances online
    -- Managing finances nearline
    -- Managing other personal info nearline
    -- Shopping
    -- Watching streaming video

    3) Email, including attachements
    4) Reading Usenet
    5) Database programming
    6) Manipulate msoffice documents
    7) Create documents (msoffice, pdf, openoffice)
    8) play games
    9) Scan documents
    10) Print documents
    11) Manage personal media player
    12) Manage & manipulate digital photos
    13) Manage digital home videos
    14) Create video DVDs
    15) Create mp3 DVDs (for the car)

    --
    Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is! |||
    / | \