Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples - Linux ; On Nov 3, 7:19*pm, Terry Porter wrote: > [crossposts snipped] > > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:37:57 -0600, Ignoramus22113 wrote: > > The claims that PowerShell is better than bash piqued my curiosity, so I > > decided to ...

  1. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 3, 7:19*pm, Terry Porter wrote:
    > [crossposts snipped]
    >
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:37:57 -0600, Ignoramus22113 wrote:
    > > The claims that PowerShell is better than bash piqued my curiosity, so I
    > > decided to check PowerShell out.

    > > I am bowed to the genius of PowerShell creators.

    > Thanks Ignoramus22113!
    >
    > Most informative post indeed, and now I know what *'powershell' really
    > is ...

    His post was pure crap. None of that was powershell. Those were old
    vbscripts.

    Eric already posted a real powershell example... Do you want more?

    --
    Tom Shelton

  2. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:31:08 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > His post was pure crap. None of that was powershell. Those were old
    > vbscripts.
    >
    > Eric already posted a real powershell example... Do you want more?

    I tried Powershell. Powershell is no BASH. KSH from the mid 90's is
    more powerful. BASH actually makes sense ... and is multi-platform.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  3. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 20:26:22 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:45:33 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:37:57 -0600, Ignoramus22113 wrote:
    >>
    >>> The claims that PowerShell is better than bash piqued my curiosity, so
    >>> I decided to check PowerShell out.
    >>>
    >>> I am bowed to the genius of PowerShell creators.
    >>>
    >>> Here's one example:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...es/scriptshop/

    > shop0305a.mspx#EHC
    >>
    >> Uhh.. dude. Are you an idiot?
    >>
    >> That's wscript, which has been in Windows since IE4. That's not
    >> PowerShell.
    >>
    >> All your examples are wscript examples, not Powershell. What kind of a
    >> moron are you? Oh right, you're an Ignoramus.

    > Please feel free to post a refutation by example to the OPs article ?
    >
    > Somehow your followup stinks of rotting Wintroll to me ...

    I notice you are silent on my followup post where i posted a one-line
    example similar to Ignoramus's.

    Why is that Terry?

  4. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:37:54 -0600, Ignoramus7766 wrote:

    > On 2008-11-04, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >> jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> You cheated. You are supposed to do it in bash, not use bash to call
    >>> awk.
    >>>
    >>> sf

    >> perl -e 'while(<>) { print "Use WMI to get OS and SP versions from $_"
    >> }' < hosts.txt
    >>

    > You can do better than that:
    >
    > perl -np -e 's/^/Use WMI to get OS and SP versions from /' < hosts.txt
    >
    > sed 's/^/Use WMI to get OS and SP versions from /' < hosts.txt

    So, Ignoramus. I notice you're quite silent on my rebuttal of your post.

    Why is that?

  5. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus7766 wrote:
    > The whole point of bash is to NOT be a bloated pig like powershell,

    Absolutely.
    Chris

  6. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 3, 11:01*pm, jebblue wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:31:08 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    > > His post was pure crap. *None of that was powershell. *Those were old
    > > vbscripts.

    > > Eric already posted a real powershell example... *Do you want more?

    > I tried Powershell. Powershell is no BASH. KSH from the mid 90's is
    > more powerful. BASH actually makes sense ... and is multi-platform.
    >
    > --
    > // This is my opinion.

    Liar.

    HTH

    --
    Tom Shelton

  7. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 01:46:26 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On Nov 3, 11:01*pm, jebblue wrote:
    >> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:31:08 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    >> > His post was pure crap. *None of that was powershell. *Those were old
    >> > vbscripts.

    >> > Eric already posted a real powershell example... *Do you want more?

    >> I tried Powershell. Powershell is no BASH. KSH from the mid 90's is
    >> more powerful. BASH actually makes sense ... and is multi-platform.
    >>
    >> --
    >> // This is my opinion.

    > Liar.
    >
    > HTH

    I don't think you are the real Tom Shelton.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  8. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:31:08 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On Nov 3, 7:19*pm, Terry Porter wrote:
    >> [crossposts snipped]
    >>
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:37:57 -0600, Ignoramus22113 wrote:
    >> > The claims that PowerShell is better than bash piqued my curiosity,
    >> > so I decided to check PowerShell out.

    >> > I am bowed to the genius of PowerShell creators.

    >> Thanks Ignoramus22113!
    >>
    >> Most informative post indeed, and now I know what *'powershell' really
    >> is ...
    >>

    > His post was pure crap. None of that was powershell. Those were old
    > vbscripts.
    >
    > Eric already posted a real powershell example... Do you want more?

    I admit, when it comes to Eriks posts, I do expect *less*.

    In the case of his 'powershell' example, it didn't look any easier than
    plain old bash, certainly not the "leap" in technology Erik was raving
    about.

    I'm not surprised that the reality is a lot less than the claims when it
    comes to Erik.

    Colour me underwhelmed.

  9. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 02:28:05 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 20:26:22 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    >> shop0305a.mspx#EHC
    >>>
    >>> Uhh.. dude. Are you an idiot?
    >>>
    >>> That's wscript, which has been in Windows since IE4. That's not
    >>> PowerShell.
    >>>
    >>> All your examples are wscript examples, not Powershell. What kind of
    >>> a moron are you? Oh right, you're an Ignoramus.

    >> Please feel free to post a refutation by example to the OPs article ?
    >>
    >> Somehow your followup stinks of rotting Wintroll to me ...

    > I notice you are silent on my followup post where i posted a one-line
    > example similar to Ignoramus's.
    >
    > Why is that Terry?

    Because I'm underwhelmed Erik. Powershell appears no better than the
    methods Linux users have had for the last 15 years or so.

  10. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 01:04:21 -0600, Terry Porter wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 02:28:05 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> shop0305a.mspx#EHC

    >>> Please feel free to post a refutation by example to the OPs article ?
    >>>
    >>> Somehow your followup stinks of rotting Wintroll to me ...

    >> I notice you are silent on my followup post where i posted a one-line
    >> example similar to Ignoramus's.
    >>
    >> Why is that Terry?

    > Because I'm underwhelmed Erik. Powershell appears no better than the
    > methods Linux users have had for the last 15 years or so.

    For a trivial, contrived example. A one line command is a one line
    command, regardless of environment. It can't really get any simpler, or
    more powerful.

    I was specifically responding to the comments you made by assuming
    Ignoramus knew what he was talking about, then you continued to talk out of
    your ass. When it turned out that virtually everything he said was wrong,
    you suddenly got quiet.

    We know you, Terry. If you were actually "underwhelmed", you would have
    said so. You're not afraid to say anything bad about Windows whenever you
    get the chance. Failing to do so can only be interpreted as "Oh ****, i
    put my foot in my mouth".

  11. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    [snips]

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 03:07:55 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >> Because I'm underwhelmed Erik. Powershell appears no better than the
    >> methods Linux users have had for the last 15 years or so.

    > For a trivial, contrived example. A one line command is a one line
    > command, regardless of environment. It can't really get any simpler, or
    > more powerful.

    Err... a one-liner can be a fairly powerful critter. Try this:

    tar cvzf - /wwwdata | ssh ssh user@host "dd of=/path/wwwdata.tar.gz"

  12. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 03:07:55 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >>> Because I'm underwhelmed Erik. Powershell appears no better than the
    >>> methods Linux users have had for the last 15 years or so.

    >> For a trivial, contrived example. A one line command is a one line
    >> command, regardless of environment. It can't really get any simpler, or
    >> more powerful.

    > Err... a one-liner can be a fairly powerful critter. Try this:
    >
    > tar cvzf - /wwwdata | ssh ssh user@host "dd of=/path/wwwdata.tar.gz"

    I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives using
    only Powershell and command-line commands.

    --
    [ ] DOGBERT
    [ 2 ] RICHARD STALLMAN

  13. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 5, 12:02*am, Terry Porter wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:31:08 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
    > > On Nov 3, 7:19*pm, Terry Porter wrote:
    > >> [crossposts snipped]

    > >> Thanks Ignoramus22113!

    > >> Most informative post indeed, and now I know what *'powershell' really
    > >> is ...

    > > His post was pure crap. *None of that was powershell. *Those were old
    > > vbscripts.

    > > Eric already posted a real powershell example... *Do you want more?

    > I admit, when it comes to Eriks posts, I do expect *less*.
    >
    > In the case of his 'powershell' example, it didn't look any easier than
    > plain old bash, certainly not the "leap" in technology Erik was raving
    > about.
    >
    > I'm not surprised that the reality is a lot less than the claims when it
    > comes to Erik.
    >
    > Colour me underwhelmed.

    The leap in technology is not the relative ease of use. Somethings in
    powershell are harder, some are easier.

    The things that makes powershell powerfull is it's object oriented
    nature. If you want a fair evaluation of powershell vs bash, take a
    look at this article from Linux magazine:

    http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/7...PowerShell.pdf

    And most things are easier in powershell vs the old windows scripting
    host stuff (which is what ignoramus was posting as examples of
    powershell). For example, disregarding the remote machine thing, the
    vbscript example that ignoramus posted:

    Set colOSes = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem")
    For Each objOS in colOSes
    Wscript.Echo
    Wscript.Echo strComputer
    Wscript.Echo "OS Version: " & objOS.Version
    Wscript.Echo "Service Pack: " & objOS.ServicePackMajorVersion & _
    "." & objOS.ServicePackMinorVersion
    Next

    translates into:

    $s = [wmisearcher] 'select * from win32_operatingsystem'
    $s.get() | select
    @{Name="Computer";Expression={$env:computername}},@{Name = "OS
    Version";Expression = {$_.Version}},@{Name = "Service
    Pack";Expression={[string]::Format("{0}.{1}",
    $_.ServicePackMajorVersion, $_.ServicePackMinorVersion)}} | fl

    The output is:

    Computer : ARAGORN
    OS Version : 5.1.2600
    Service Pack : 3.0

    Now is that easier then bash? Maybe, maybe not if you understand what
    that script is doing - the above expression could be a lot simpler,
    but I was producing format comparable to the vbscript example.
    Understand that what get's passed between the $s.get() and the select
    via the | is not just a string, it is a real object. And that is what
    differentiates powershell from bash (not the only thing, but one of
    the major ones).

    --
    Tom Shelton

  14. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 5, 5:57*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    > * this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > [snips]

    > >> For a trivial, contrived example. *A one line command is a one line
    > >> command, regardless of environment. *It can't really get any simpler, or
    > >> more powerful.

    > > Err... a one-liner can be a fairly powerful critter. *Try this:

    > > tar cvzf - /wwwdata | ssh ssh user@host "dd of=/path/wwwdata.tar.gz"

    > I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives using
    > only Powershell and command-line commands.

    Out of the box, probably not. But, it would be fairly trivial to
    write a function or commandlet that used sharpziplib to compress/
    decompress zip archives.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  15. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > And most things are easier in powershell vs the old windows scripting
    > host stuff (which is what ignoramus was posting as examples of
    > powershell). For example, disregarding the remote machine thing, the
    > vbscript example that ignoramus posted:
    >
    > Set colOSes = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    > ("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem")
    > For Each objOS in colOSes
    > Wscript.Echo
    > Wscript.Echo strComputer
    > Wscript.Echo "OS Version: " & objOS.Version
    > Wscript.Echo "Service Pack: " & objOS.ServicePackMajorVersion & _
    > "." & objOS.ServicePackMinorVersion
    > Next
    >
    > translates into:
    >
    > $s = [wmisearcher] 'select * from win32_operatingsystem'
    > $s.get() | select
    > @{Name="Computer";Expression={$env:computername}},@{Name = "OS
    > Version";Expression = {$_.Version}},@{Name = "Service
    > Pack";Expression={[string]::Format("{0}.{1}",
    > $_.ServicePackMajorVersion, $_.ServicePackMinorVersion)}} | fl
    >
    > The output is:
    >
    > Computer : ARAGORN
    > OS Version : 5.1.2600
    > Service Pack : 3.0
    >
    > Now is that easier then bash? Maybe, maybe not if you understand what
    > that script is doing - the above expression could be a lot simpler,
    > but I was producing format comparable to the vbscript example.
    > Understand that what get's passed between the $s.get() and the select
    > via the | is not just a string, it is a real object. And that is what
    > differentiates powershell from bash (not the only thing, but one of
    > the major ones).

    Python:

    http://www.thescriptlibrary.com/defa...ory1=Operating System&Category2=Version Information&Title=List Operating System Properties

    import win32com.client
    strComputer = "."
    objWMIService = win32com.client.Dispatch("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
    objSWbemServices = objWMIService.ConnectServer(strComputer,"root\cimv2")
    colItems = objSWbemServices.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
    for objItem in colItems:
    print "Service Pack Major Version: ", objItem.ServicePackMajorVersion
    print "Service Pack Minor Version: ", objItem.ServicePackMinorVersion

    --
    "If I ever get around to writing that language depompisifier, it will change
    almost all occurrences of the word "paradigm" into "example" or "model."

  16. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Nov 5, 5:57*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives using
    >> only Powershell and command-line commands.

    > Out of the box, probably not. But, it would be fairly trivial to
    > write a function or commandlet that used sharpziplib to compress/
    > decompress zip archives.

    I don't mind if the script uses an external app like tar. I was wondering
    if you can create a package structured like this:

    #!/bin/sh
    export TMPDIR=`mktemp -d /tmp/LinuxBuildInstaller.XXXXXX`
    ARCHIVE=`awk '/^_____ARCHIVE__FOLLOWS_____/ { print NR + 1 ; exit 0 ; }' $0`
    tail -n+$ARCHIVE $0 | tar xzv -C $TMPDIR
    CURRENT_DIR=`pwd`
    cd $TMPDIR
    ../LinuxBuildRawInstaller
    _____ARCHIVE__FOLLOWS_____
    ^_<8b>^H^@ÝÄ*H^@^Cì\ t .... (binary data for the tar file)

    --
    A-Z affectionately,
    1 to 10 alphabetically,

  17. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 5, 9:55*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    > * this bit o' wisdom:
    >

    > > And most things are easier in powershell vs the old windows scripting
    > > host stuff (which is what ignoramus was posting as examples of
    > > powershell). *For example, disregarding the remote machine thing, the
    > > vbscript example that ignoramus posted:

    > > Set colOSes = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    > > *("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem")
    > > For Each objOS in colOSes
    > > * Wscript.Echo
    > > * Wscript.Echo strComputer
    > > * Wscript.Echo "OS Version: " & objOS.Version
    > > * Wscript.Echo "Service Pack: " & objOS.ServicePackMajorVersion & _
    > > * *"." & objOS.ServicePackMinorVersion
    > > Next

    > > translates into:

    > > $s = [wmisearcher] 'select * from win32_operatingsystem'
    > > $s.get() | select
    > > @{Name="Computer";Expression={$env:computername}},@{Name = "OS
    > > Version";Expression = {$_.Version}},@{Name = "Service
    > > Pack";Expression={[string]::Format("{0}.{1}",
    > > $_.ServicePackMajorVersion, $_.ServicePackMinorVersion)}} | fl

    > > The output is:

    > > Computer * * : ARAGORN
    > > OS Version * : 5.1.2600
    > > Service Pack : 3.0

    > > Now is that easier then bash? *Maybe, maybe not if you understand what
    > > that script is doing - the above expression could be a lot simpler,
    > > but I was producing format comparable to the vbscript example.
    > > Understand that what get's passed between the $s.get() and the select
    > > via the | is not just a string, it is a real object. *And that is what
    > > differentiates powershell from bash (not the only thing, but one of
    > > the major ones).

    > Python:
    >
    > * *http://www.thescriptlibrary.com/defa...egory2=Version Information&Title=List Operating System Properties
    >
    > * *import win32com.client
    > * *strComputer = "."
    > * *objWMIService = win32com.client.Dispatch("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
    > * *objSWbemServices = objWMIService.ConnectServer(strComputer,"root\cimv2")
    > * *colItems = objSWbemServices.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
    > * *for objItem in colItems:
    > * * * print "Service Pack Major Version: ", objItem.ServicePackMajorVersion
    > * * * print "Service Pack Minor Version: ", objItem.ServicePackMinorVersion
    >
    > --
    > "If I ever get around to writing that language depompisifier, it will change
    > almost all occurrences of the word "paradigm" into "example" or "model."
    > * * * * * * * * -- Herbie Blashtfalt

    While, thats a nice python example - that isn't the shell. Nor is it
    much different then the vbscript example. My shell script is two lines
    - and really could be one

    --
    Tom Shelton

  18. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On Nov 5, 10:01*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    > * this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > On Nov 5, 5:57*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > >> I'm wondering if you can build self-installing compressed archives using
    > >> only Powershell and command-line commands.

    > > Out of the box, probably not. *But, it would be fairly trivial to
    > > write a function or commandlet that used sharpziplib to compress/
    > > decompress zip archives.

    > I don't mind if the script uses an external app like tar. *I was wondering
    > if you can create a package structured like this:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > export TMPDIR=`mktemp -d /tmp/LinuxBuildInstaller.XXXXXX`
    > ARCHIVE=`awk '/^_____ARCHIVE__FOLLOWS_____/ { print NR + 1 ; exit 0 ; }' $0`
    > tail -n+$ARCHIVE $0 | tar xzv -C $TMPDIR
    > CURRENT_DIR=`pwd`
    > cd $TMPDIR
    > ./LinuxBuildRawInstaller
    > _____ARCHIVE__FOLLOWS_____
    > ^_<8b>^H^@ Ä*H^@^Cì\ t *.... (binary data for the tarfile)

    Assuming you have an archiving tool, I don't see why not.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  19. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    On 2008-11-05, Tom Shelton wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 12:02*am, Terry Porter wrote:

    [deletia]
    >> In the case of his 'powershell' example, it didn't look any easier than
    >> plain old bash, certainly not the "leap" in technology Erik was raving
    >> about.
    >>
    >> I'm not surprised that the reality is a lot less than the claims when it
    >> comes to Erik.
    >>
    >> Colour me underwhelmed.

    > The leap in technology is not the relative ease of use. Somethings in
    > powershell are harder, some are easier.
    >
    > The things that makes powershell powerfull is it's object oriented
    > nature. If you want a fair evaluation of powershell vs bash, take a
    > look at this article from Linux magazine:

    ....which seems to be a great thing for software engineering and a
    pisspoor thing for scripting.

    Take a simple problem and make it needlessly complex.

    Every powershell example I've ever seen has fit this description.

    [deletia]

    The whole "object oriented" bit just seems to be a buzzword bingo.

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

  20. Re: Windows PowerShell vs. bash examples

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Nov 5, 9:55*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    >>
    >> > $s = [wmisearcher] 'select * from win32_operatingsystem'
    >> > $s.get() | select
    >> > @{Name="Computer";Expression={$env:computername}},@{Name = "OS
    >> > Version";Expression = {$_.Version}},@{Name = "Service
    >> > Pack";Expression={[string]::Format("{0}.{1}",
    >> > $_.ServicePackMajorVersion, $_.ServicePackMinorVersion)}} | fl

    >> Python:
    >>
    >> http://www.thescriptlibrary.com/defa...egory2=Version Information&Title=List Operating System Properties
    >>
    >> import win32com.client
    >> strComputer = "."
    >> objWMIService = win32com.client.Dispatch("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
    >> objSWbemServices = objWMIService.ConnectServer(strComputer,"root\cimv2")
    >> colItems = objSWbemServices.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
    >> for objItem in colItems:
    >> print "Service Pack Major Version: ", objItem.ServicePackMajorVersion
    >> print "Service Pack Minor Version: ", objItem.ServicePackMinorVersion

    > While, thats a nice python example - that isn't the shell. Nor is it
    > much different then the vbscript example. My shell script is two lines
    > - and really could be one

    Whatever, dude. You can type that example into the Python *shell*, and run
    it from there.

    And I count six lines in your example, not two.

    Here's my bash one-liner:

    $ cat /etc/motd

    (Doesn't tell you the version of Debian, though. I'll let somebody else
    supply the second line.)

    --
    Friction is a drag.