Broken gkrellm? - Linux

This is a discussion on Broken gkrellm? - Linux ; I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's down to 2%. Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems ...

  1. Broken gkrellm?

    I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and
    it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's
    down to 2%.

    Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems a lot leaner.

    --
    Captain Penny's Law:
    You can fool all of the people some of the

  2. Re: Broken gkrellm?

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and
    > it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's
    > down to 2%.
    >
    > Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems a lot leaner.

    I haven't done anything new with mpd sice I used it on my iPod running
    linux. Xmms2 is the cats meow IMHO.. Cheers.

    --

    ************************************************** ***************************

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    11:19:25 up 6 days, 23:53, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    ************************************************** ***************************

  3. Re: Broken gkrellm?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Jerry McBride belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and
    >> it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's
    >> down to 2%.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems a lot leaner.
    >>

    > I haven't done anything new with mpd sice I used it on my iPod running
    > linux. Xmms2 is the cats meow IMHO.. Cheers.

    Liar.

    The problem I had with xmms2, apart from slightly greater CPU usage overall,
    was that it would jump up to like 30% CPU usage after issue a stop, then a
    restart, for the player, on a stream.

    I like that xmms2 has a gkrellm plugin, but I mostly use the mpc
    command-line client to control mpd now (the gmpc GUI is serviceable, but
    takes some learning.)

    Anyway, I think you are an xmms2 troll.

    --
    Can't open /usr/share/games/fortunes/fortunes. Lid stuck on cookie jar.

  4. Re: Broken gkrellm?

    On 2008-11-02, Chris Ahlstrom was urged to write the following:
    > I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and
    > it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's
    > down to 2%.
    >
    > Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems a lot leaner.

    Mpd kicks ass, simple as that. I just love that it keeps on going when
    you shoot off X, and even continues where it left off after a reboot.

    I usually control mpd with sonata, but I'm planning on learning to use
    mpc as well.

    --
    There's this feeling I get when I look to the West.
    ~ Robert Plant

  5. Re: Broken gkrellm?

    On 2008-11-02, TomB claimed:
    > On 2008-11-02, Chris Ahlstrom was urged to write the following:
    >> I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and
    >> it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's
    >> down to 2%.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems a lot leaner.
    >>

    > Mpd kicks ass, simple as that. I just love that it keeps on going when
    > you shoot off X, and even continues where it left off after a reboot.
    >
    > I usually control mpd with sonata, but I'm planning on learning to use
    > mpc as well.

    Gosh. I put a search in for 'mpd' in synaptic and what do I get?

    mpd
    sonata
    mpc
    gmpc
    mpdcon.app

    So many choices! That's /4/ clients in one fell swoop.

    Click each, hit apply, wait for the download and install (about 30
    seconds), start testing.

    How does a Windolt find related programs for Windoze programs?

    |google|
    |check|
    |find it's for something else|
    |google|
    |check|
    |download|
    |install|
    |hold in case there's nothing better|
    |google|
    |check|
    |download|
    |install|
    |hold in case there's nothing better|
    |uninstall the previous one|
    |google|
    |check|
    |download|
    |install|

    I like synaptic. You Windummies can keep your overrated crapware.

    --
    I started to make a list of all of the great Microsoft
    innovations. Then I remembered CTRL-ALT-DEL is handled by

  6. Re: Broken gkrellm?

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Jerry McBride belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think my gkrellm is broken. I'm streaming sky.fm World using mpd, and
    >>> it's eating up only 3% to 6% of the CPU. What is wrong? Oops, now it's
    >>> down to 2%.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I like mpd better than xmms2. Seems a lot leaner.
    >>>

    >> I haven't done anything new with mpd sice I used it on my iPod running
    >> linux. Xmms2 is the cats meow IMHO.. Cheers.

    > Liar.
    >

    > The problem I had with xmms2, apart from slightly greater CPU usage
    > overall, was that it would jump up to like 30% CPU usage after issue a
    > stop, then a restart, for the player, on a stream.
    >
    > I like that xmms2 has a gkrellm plugin, but I mostly use the mpc
    > command-line client to control mpd now (the gmpc GUI is serviceable, but
    > takes some learning.)
    >
    > Anyway, I think you are an xmms2 troll.

    Yeah, probably... even in my distribution of choice, Gentoo, xmms has been
    dropped as "unmaintainable"... But I still like it and I rolled my own
    ebuild to keep it running. Yeah, there's a useage spike as you mentioned,
    but I see a lot smaller one. My reason for keeping xmms was that it
    interfaces well with firefox/konqueror...

    Cheers and thanks for the friendly post.

    --

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    13:54:14 up 7 days, 2:28, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01