[OT] XBox, Wii, PS3 - Linux

This is a discussion on [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3 - Linux ; I don't care much about the Microsoft/non-Microsoft angle for these game systems, but I noticed these prices in Sunday brochures: Xbox $199 Wii $249 PS3 $399 How can PS3 maintain such a high price? Just curious, really? -- Actually, the ...

  1. [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    --
    Actually, the probability is 100% that the elevator will be going in the
    right direction. Proof by induction:

    N=1. Trivially true, since both you and the elevator only have one
    floor to go to.

    Assume true for N, prove for N+1:
    If you are on any of the first N floors, then it is true by the
    induction hypothesis. If you are on the N+1st floor, then both you
    and the elevator have only one choice, namely down. Therefore,
    it is true for all N+1 floors.
    QED.

  2. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:01:00 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > I don't care much about the Microsoft/non-Microsoft angle for these game
    > systems, but I noticed these prices in Sunday brochures:
    >
    > Xbox $199
    > Wii $249
    > PS3 $399
    >
    > How can PS3 maintain such a high price?

    Checking locally... PS3... 80GB drive... $399 Cdn.
    Includes BluRay.

    Prices on the 360 vary with disk size, with the 60B model being some $299
    Cdn.

    Meaning for your extra $100 compared to the XBox 60GB model, you're
    getting both 20GB more disc space and BluRay instead of regular DVD.

    Which explains the pricing, no?

  3. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

  4. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:01:00 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> I don't care much about the Microsoft/non-Microsoft angle for these game
    >> systems, but I noticed these prices in Sunday brochures:
    >>
    >> Xbox $199
    >> Wii $249
    >> PS3 $399
    >>
    >> How can PS3 maintain such a high price?

    > Checking locally... PS3... 80GB drive... $399 Cdn.
    > Includes BluRay.
    >
    > Prices on the 360 vary with disk size, with the 60B model being some $299
    > Cdn.
    >
    > Meaning for your extra $100 compared to the XBox 60GB model, you're
    > getting both 20GB more disc space and BluRay instead of regular DVD.
    >
    > Which explains the pricing, no?

    So it sounds like the BluRay also brings the PS3 a lot of costumers, then.

    Thanks for the response!

    --
    There is no comfort without pain; thus we define salvation through suffering.
    -- Cato

  5. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:45:57 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:01:00 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't care much about the Microsoft/non-Microsoft angle for these
    >>> game systems, but I noticed these prices in Sunday brochures:
    >>>
    >>> Xbox $199
    >>> Wii $249
    >>> PS3 $399
    >>>
    >>> How can PS3 maintain such a high price?

    >> Checking locally... PS3... 80GB drive... $399 Cdn. Includes BluRay.
    >>
    >> Prices on the 360 vary with disk size, with the 60B model being some
    >> $299 Cdn.
    >>
    >> Meaning for your extra $100 compared to the XBox 60GB model, you're
    >> getting both 20GB more disc space and BluRay instead of regular DVD.
    >>
    >> Which explains the pricing, no?

    > So it sounds like the BluRay also brings the PS3 a lot of costumers,
    > then.
    >
    > Thanks for the response!

    It may well. That said, the second-generation XBox isn't quite as bad as
    the first, and they are coming out with a BluRay add-on, so for about the
    same price (that's a guess) you should be able to get about equivalent
    hardware.

  6. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    Kelsey Bjarnason espoused:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:45:57 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Checking locally... PS3... 80GB drive... $399 Cdn. Includes BluRay.
    >>>
    >>> Prices on the 360 vary with disk size, with the 60B model being some
    >>> $299 Cdn.
    >>>
    >>> Meaning for your extra $100 compared to the XBox 60GB model, you're
    >>> getting both 20GB more disc space and BluRay instead of regular DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Which explains the pricing, no?

    >> So it sounds like the BluRay also brings the PS3 a lot of costumers,
    >> then.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response!

    > It may well. That said, the second-generation XBox isn't quite as bad as
    > the first, and they are coming out with a BluRay add-on, so for about the
    > same price (that's a guess) you should be able to get about equivalent
    > hardware.

    The PS3 has some other excellent features, including the capability to
    playback uPnP served content from Bubba & Mythtv. Perhaps Xbox & Wii
    can do this, although I don't know.

    Also, the PS3 is a reasonable enough Linux computer when you install a
    suitable distro on it.

    Neither of these might be so mainstream, though.

  7. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    In article ,
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Kelsey Bjarnason belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    > > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:01:00 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't care much about the Microsoft/non-Microsoft angle for these game
    > >> systems, but I noticed these prices in Sunday brochures:
    > >>
    > >> Xbox $199
    > >> Wii $249
    > >> PS3 $399
    > >>
    > >> How can PS3 maintain such a high price?

    The most common theory offered in the video game industry press is that
    they are stupid. The second most common theory seems to be that they
    don't want to piss off the manufacturers of stand-alone Blu-Ray players.

    > > Checking locally... PS3... 80GB drive... $399 Cdn.
    > > Includes BluRay.
    > >
    > > Prices on the 360 vary with disk size, with the 60B model being some $299
    > > Cdn.
    > >
    > > Meaning for your extra $100 compared to the XBox 60GB model, you're
    > > getting both 20GB more disc space and BluRay instead of regular DVD.
    > >
    > > Which explains the pricing, no?

    > So it sounds like the BluRay also brings the PS3 a lot of costumers, then.

    A better statement would be that a lot of the people that want Blu-Ray
    choose PS3. But not a lot of people want Blu-Ray, so it's probably not
    accurate to say it brings them a lot of customers.

    Blu-Ray has run into several problems:

    1. A big fraction of the disc buying public doesn't have TV's that show
    much, if any, difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.

    2. Upscaling DVD players have gotten very good and very cheap, so that
    many people who DO have TV's that can benefit from Blu-Ray find that a
    good DVD is nearly as good.

    3. There are plenty of other ways to get HD content:

    A. Cable and satellite both have plenty of HD, on scheduled
    channels, on pay-per-view, and on on-demand services.

    B. A rapidly growing segment of TV watching is done via the internet,
    either on a computer, or via a computer hooked up to a TV. There are
    several internet TV streaming sources with HD.

    C. Microsoft's XBox Live service sells and rents HD content. They've
    just announced a deal with Netflix to make Netflix's HD streaming
    service available on the 360.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > ____/ Kelsey Bjarnason on Sunday 02 November 2008 22:53 : \____
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:01:00 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't care much about the Microsoft/non-Microsoft angle for these game
    >>> systems, but I noticed these prices in Sunday brochures:
    >>>
    >>> Xbox $199
    >>> Wii $249
    >>> PS3 $399
    >>>
    >>> How can PS3 maintain such a high price?

    >> Checking locally... PS3... 80GB drive... $399 Cdn.
    >> Includes BluRay.
    >>
    >> Prices on the 360 vary with disk size, with the 60B model being some $299
    >> Cdn.
    >>
    >> Meaning for your extra $100 compared to the XBox 60GB model, you're
    >> getting both 20GB more disc space and BluRay instead of regular DVD.
    >>
    >> Which explains the pricing, no?

    > MS dumping. That's the reason.

    You're a moron. How's that for a reason.

    Don't let the *FACT* that MS actually makes a profit on the XBox360 hardware
    and that Sony actually loses about $200/unit get in the way of your nonsense
    about "dumping." The only "dump" here is the **** you have for brains in
    your head.

  9. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    [snips]

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:28:31 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > The PS3 has some other excellent features, including the capability to
    > playback uPnP served content from Bubba & Mythtv. Perhaps Xbox & Wii
    > can do this, although I don't know.

    Apparently it can, but it's limited in the formats it supports. As long
    as you're willing to convert your Myth recordings to, say, .wmv format,
    should work no problem.

    > Also, the PS3 is a reasonable enough Linux computer when you install a
    > suitable distro on it.

    I understand that XBox is, too, despite some apparent attempts by MS to
    throw sand in the gears of doing that sort of thing.

  10. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    On 2008-11-03, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:28:31 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> The PS3 has some other excellent features, including the capability to
    >> playback uPnP served content from Bubba & Mythtv. Perhaps Xbox & Wii
    >> can do this, although I don't know.

    > Apparently it can, but it's limited in the formats it supports. As long
    > as you're willing to convert your Myth recordings to, say, .wmv format,
    > should work no problem.

    More notably, the PS3 can't handle digital TV content captured
    straight from the airwaves. This something that I find to be rather
    disapointing. If you want to watch TV captured from the big networks
    then you will have to transcode it before you can watch it on a PS3.

    >> Also, the PS3 is a reasonable enough Linux computer when you install a
    >> suitable distro on it.

    > I understand that XBox is, too, despite some apparent attempts by MS to
    > throw sand in the gears of doing that sort of thing.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

  11. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> MS dumping. That's the reason.

    > You're a moron. How's that for a reason.
    >
    > Don't let the *FACT* that MS actually makes a profit on the XBox360 hardware
    > and that Sony actually loses about $200/unit get in the way of your nonsense
    > about "dumping." The only "dump" here is the **** you have for brains in
    > your head.

    So Sony would actually have to charge $599 to break even?

    You really think Sony is that dumb?

    P.S. No need call Roy names, dude.

  12. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

  13. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> So Sony would actually have to charge $599 to break even?
    >>
    >> You really think Sony is that dumb?

    > Sony's costs should have come down some since launch, but the numbers
    > originally were:
    >
    > $600 60 GB PS3: $840 to build (loss of $240/console)
    > $500 20 GB PS3: $806 to build (loss of $306/console)
    >
    > At the time, an XBox360 with hard disk cost $323 to build, and was
    > selling for $399, for a profit of $76/console.

    That must explain why they tended to catch fire .

    > <http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/
    > showArticle.jhtml?articleID=194400596>
    >
    > More recent data can be gleaned from Sony's financial reports. The
    > games division lost $1.2 billion on the last full reporting year (which
    > was an improvement over the $2 billion loss the year before).
    >
    > Any, this gives us at a minimum a $130 loss per console. How much
    > bigger the loss is depends on how well the PS2 and PSP are doing. I've
    > seen estimates that those two would be up to a billion profit on their
    > own, which if true would indicate a PS3 loss of around $250/console.
    > The truth will be somewhere between $130 and $250.

    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/96355

    Sony's losses on PS3: $3 billion and counting

    Fri Jun 27, 2008

    Yikes!

    I was talking about the "****" word, mostly.

    --
    The Beatles:
    Paul McCartney's old back-up band.

  14. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    JEDIDIAH espoused:
    > On 2008-11-03, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:28:31 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> The PS3 has some other excellent features, including the capability to
    >>> playback uPnP served content from Bubba & Mythtv. Perhaps Xbox & Wii
    >>> can do this, although I don't know.

    >> Apparently it can, but it's limited in the formats it supports. As long
    >> as you're willing to convert your Myth recordings to, say, .wmv format,
    >> should work no problem.

    > More notably, the PS3 can't handle digital TV content captured
    > straight from the airwaves. This something that I find to be rather
    > disapointing. If you want to watch TV captured from the big networks
    > then you will have to transcode it before you can watch it on a PS3.

    Mine plays the digitally captured content directly and without problem,
    and has done through all the firmware versions.

    What it didn't used to be able to play was AVI files, but seems
    competent with those, now, as well.

    Mythtv records the programme, offers it as UPnP, and PS3 plays it, no
    problem.

    I wonder why yours doesn't work?

  15. Re: [OT] XBox, Wii, PS3

    [snips]

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:32:02 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Mythtv records the programme, offers it as UPnP, and PS3 plays it, no
    > problem.
    >
    > I wonder why yours doesn't work?

    My Myth setup uses paired hardware MP2 encoders to produce the videos,
    does quasi-lossless modifying of them to rip commercials and streams the
    results, quite happily, to my DSM-320 media player.

    Which means I can play the videos locally on the Myth box, remotely via
    file shares on any of the desktop PCs, even on discs burned for playing
    in my DVD player... but XBox *will not* play them. Wrong format.

    Meaning every freakin' device in the house will play a common format,
    except, of course, MS's offering.

    Big freakin' surprise.

+ Reply to Thread