[News] Microsoft Bribes Are Back: Laptops for Love - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft Bribes Are Back: Laptops for Love

    Microsoft bribes again?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But, if as appears may be the case Microsoft is letting people have Dell XPS
    | M1330 laptops with 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processors and 3GBs of RAM
    | on 'indefinite loans (wink, wink) then it's a bribe in my book. What do you
    | think? If you knew someone had been given a PC with a list price of $1,956
    | and then wrote nice things about the operating system that came with it would
    | you be inclined to think that they might be just a wee bit influenced by the
    | almost two grand worth of computer?
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

    Yesterday:

    Blacklisted by Microsoft!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Basically, they blacklisted me from certain super-secret (i.e.
    | pre-conference, NDA, off-the books) sessions at their Professional Developer
    | Conference (PDC) –- this after formally inviting me to attend those sessions
    | as an "esteemed reviewer" representing InfoWorld.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Oct. 9, 2008 -- A short while later, I get my first hit. It seems that the
    | whole mess started when the Windows Server team made the mistake of inviting
    | yours truly to an event hosted by the Windows Client team. Apparently, the
    | folks on the Server team were unaware of my decidedly negative views towards
    | Vista, and when the Client folks found out they had invited Randall C.
    | Kennedy -– a.k.a. Vista's most vocal and effective critic -– to their
    | special, "for fanbois only" (nice photos, Paul) shindig, they went ballistic.
    |
    | First, it appears that someone high up on the Client Team (Steve?) really
    | doesn't like me. I mean, really, truly loathes me. And it's not just your
    | run-of-the-mill frustration with a journalist who picks on them. This thing
    | is personal, and the executive in question is allowing his or her personal
    | feelings to spill over into the company's handling of formal press relations
    | with InfoWorld.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...listed_by.html

    Related:

    PC Mag May Boycott Edelman PR

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Transparency is a word that's been kicked around a lot lately. But
    | too much transparency is what got Edelman PR pro and blogebrity
    | Steve Rubel kicked around this week, instead. An early Friday
    | 13th comment about PC Magazine is fueling a potential boycott,
    | as well as fulfilling what the PR world had feared about blogging.
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ott-edelman-pr

    Getting a Vaio [with Vista, from Microsoft]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Belgium rang me yesterday (I don?t think they realised it
    | was a public holiday here!).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The phone call yesterday was to confirm my address - the laptop (a
    | Sony Vaio - dunno which model or spec yet) is en route with Vista
    | Ultimate and Office Ultimate pre-installed.
    `----

    http://www.tomrafteryit.net/getting-a-vaio/

    Bribing Bloggers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
    | things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
    | you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
    | better things about us.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

    Microsoft Sent A Free Laptop With Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'm not sure how I was selected to be one of the people receiving this
    | (I'm assuming there are others, but I haven't come across any yet).
    | It could be that they are reaching out to bloggers who are Mac users
    | (I switched to a Mac back when OS X came out) or it might just be that
    | people I know who work for Microsoft or other influential bloggers
    | recommended me
    `----

    http://laughingsquid.com/microsoft-s...windows-vista/

    Windows Live OneCare competition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How to enter:
    |
    | You have from now until 25th December to post on your own blog about
    | why you'd like Santa to visit you, and then tag it with "Windows Live
    | OneCare Competition". Only posts appearing on this technorati page or
    | that trackback to this post will be considered as entries. From
    | these we'll select 5 winners at random.
    `----

    http://liveside.net/blogs/main/archi...mpetition.aspx

    Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/m...-bloggers.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | * * "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
    | online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
    | of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
    | was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
    | and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
    | liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows wont
    | he operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
    |
    | * * Mr Dvorak wonders if Microsoft is today using reverse-dirty-tricks
    | to promote the Xbox 360: pay people to create Web sites that slam the
    | gaming computer in order to provoke a barrage of defenders.
    `----

    http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gi...sroots_an.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Bribes Are Back: Laptops for Love

    > Microsoft bribes again?

    [...]
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

    For those who think they can justify bribery with comments like this:

    There is nothing wrong with corporate gifts. I am a corporate sales
    professional and I always provide samples to my potential clients.
    I think this comment is the best response:

    Laptops are not samples ... and bloggers are not potential customers.

    A single-load pouch of laundry detergent is a sample and a stay-at-home
    mom is a potential customer for that product. You would not send a
    two-year supply of laundry detergent to an employee of Consumer Reports
    for their personal use in advance of a product test and expect it to be
    called anything but what it is... a bribe.

    Handing out DVD's with a live demo of Windows 7 would be a sample.
    Handing them to people on the street would be giving them to potential
    customers. Handing out $2,000 laptops preloaded with working copies of
    Windows 7 to software reviewers, bloggers, is a bribe
    Moreover, Microsoft is not your average company, they have a track
    record of behaving like gangsters, so what may seem harmless coming from
    some other source, needs to be scrutinised more carefully when it comes
    from Microsoft.

    It's odd how so many pro-Microsoft people seem to have such difficulty
    with, what should be, relatively simply questions of morality. Then
    again, given the moral depravity of the company they support, maybe not.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    05:08:16 up 22 days, 15:04, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

+ Reply to Thread