    editing xorg.conf by hand then Intrepid would have been better named
    Insipid.

    Not at all pleased nor impressed at the moment."

    #32 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+freeze&page=4

    The crapware wastes another victims' entire day.

  2. Re: Intrepid: "NOT GOOD!, Insipid would be a better name"

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:01:23 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "Not going well for me. I've been running a laptop on Ubuntu since 6.04 but
    > 8.10 can't cope with it. Screen resolutions are all wrong and not easily
    > fixed because someone has decided that we don't need displayconfig-gtk. So
    > I'm stuck in 800x600 and cannot get any greater screen resolution. I'm
    > having to reinstall 8.04 to get to a working screen then maybe I can save
    > xorg.conf and some other data to bring across when I 'upgrade' to 8.10
    > again. I've lost most of today with this problem. If we have to go back to
    > editing xorg.conf by hand then Intrepid would have been better named
    > Insipid.
    >
    > Not at all pleased nor impressed at the moment."
    >
    > #32 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+freeze&page=4
    >

    > The crapware wastes another victims' entire day.

    Well I tried.
    I wrote the developers about the video problems and they basically replied
    with a fsck you....

    Basic question: Why is nvidia-settings allowed to run as user when you
    can't save the settings to the xorg.conf?

    This seems REALLY, REALLY simple to me, yet the high and mighty developers
    don't have time to fix it.

    And BTW the error message doesn't give any clue to the real problem.

    Another thing, which is a security breach, why when you open the package
    manager, do something, then close the window and open it say 2 minutes
    later (not an exact time), this time it doesn't ask for root password but
    just opens?
    There is a time out, but IMHO it should be 2 seconds after you close it,
    not a minute or two.

    Bottom Linux, Ubuntu, the Linux distro that was supposed to save the
    masses, is a bug riddled mess.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: