Manipulating audio data - Linux

This is a discussion on Manipulating audio data - Linux ; Hello, I hope this is the right group for my question. Actually, I'm not sure exactly how to phrase the question, so here's what I'm trying to do: It boils down to doing Active Noise Reduction "the hacker way" --- ...

  1. Manipulating audio data

    Hello,

    I hope this is the right group for my question.

    Actually, I'm not sure exactly how to phrase the question, so here's
    what
    I'm trying to do:

    It boils down to doing Active Noise Reduction "the hacker way" --- I
    want
    to get some off-the-shelf tiny microphones that I would glue to the
    external part of my headphones, feed it through the Microphone input
    of the sound device, and then manipulate that to add it to the ouput
    of
    the sound card.

    Now, two things:

    1) I want to do that *regardless* of what or who is controlling the
    output
    to the audio device (that is, regardless of whether I'm playing a
    CD, or
    playing Ogg or MP3s, or viewing some audio-enabled web page or
    Flash-
    enabled sites, Youtube, etc.)

    2) I need to manipulate the microphone signal --- add a small delay
    and
    possibly some digital filtering; that part I'm 100% comfortable
    with (I
    do have some background in DSP, and I can handle all the required
    programming in the C/C++ realm)... But I don't know how to
    actually
    get the data in real-time and mix it with the output at a low-
    enough
    level that it won't matter who's playing what sounds, the
    microphone
    signal would get added to the output.

    Any ideas or pointers?

    Thanks,

    Carlos
    --

  2. Re: Manipulating audio data

    Carlos Moreno schrieb:

    > Hello,

    Hi Carlos,

    [Linux and sound editing]

    > Any ideas or pointers?

    are you already aware of JACK based applications? I guess most of your
    ideas are covered by existing applications (e.g. "jamin"). You may
    start here for further reading (or studying existing code):

    http://linuxaudio.org/

    Guido

    --
    http://www.bayernline.de/~gscholz/