sending mail via esmtp + exim configuration problem - Linux

This is a discussion on sending mail via esmtp + exim configuration problem - Linux ; Hi, I am having diffuculty in sending mail via esmtp. I have esmtp and libesmtp in my device. When even i type sendmail in command prompt its says Exim configuration file /etc/exim/exim.conf has the wrong owner, group, or mode Then ...

  1. sending mail via esmtp + exim configuration problem

    Hi,
    I am having diffuculty in sending mail via esmtp.
    I have esmtp and libesmtp in my device.

    When even i type
    sendmail in command prompt its says

    Exim configuration file /etc/exim/exim.conf has the wrong owner,
    group, or mode

    Then i tried
    /etc/init.d/exim restart
    Restarting MTA...
    Stopping MTA: exim.
    Starting MTA: exim1970-01-01 00:00:55 Exim configuration file /etc/
    exim/exim.con
    f has the wrong owner, group, or mode
    failed (1: ).
    root@192.168.10.101:~#
    Suggest me how to proceed.
    I tried many methods to change the ownership of configuration file.
    But i fails.

    I am able to connect to smtp server.
    But i am unable to send mail.

    suggest me the solution

  2. Re: sending mail via esmtp + exim configuration problem

    On 2008-11-01, kracks wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am having diffuculty in sending mail via esmtp.
    > I have esmtp and libesmtp in my device.
    >
    > When even i type
    > sendmail in command prompt its says
    >
    > Exim configuration file /etc/exim/exim.conf has the wrong owner,
    > group, or mode

    exim can't read the config file.

    > suggest me the solution

    a: reinstall exim write down the permissions and owner that file should have

    b: examine the source, search for that error message, figure out why
    it's printing, find a way to stop that happening.

    c: try chmod 644 /etc/exim/exim.conf I can't see why exim would need
    write access to that file. And if the file contains no sensitive
    information (eg database passwords) making it world readable will do
    no harm. Also try chmod 755 /etc/exim/ exim could be producing a
    misleading error message.

    Bye.
    Jasen

+ Reply to Thread