    "...if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move the
    mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power button to
    reboot. This sucks, big time..."

    #624 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63

    Linux: the one-app, one-window wonder

  2. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On 2008-11-01, DFS was urged to write the following:
    > "...if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move the
    > mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power button to
    > reboot. This sucks, big time..."
    >
    > #624 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63
    >

    > Linux: the one-app, one-window wonder

    That's funny, because right now I'm
    * Editing this post with vim.
    * Reading this group with slrn.
    * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists.
    * Listening to some sweet music with sonata.
    * Compiling a realtime kernel, finally updating from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26
    * Downloading some stuff with btclient
    * ...

    Must be a different Linux :-p

    --
    Meisjes, ze zijn toch zo bizaar, meneer.
    Ze komen zelden klaar, meneer. Meisjes.

  3. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    After takin' a swig o' grog, TomB belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-01, DFS was urged to write the following:
    >> "...if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move the
    >> mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power button to
    >> reboot. This sucks, big time..."
    >>
    >> #624 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63
    >>

    >> Linux: the one-app, one-window wonder

    > That's funny, because right now I'm
    > * Editing this post with vim.
    > * Reading this group with slrn.
    > * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists.
    > * Listening to some sweet music with sonata.
    > * Compiling a realtime kernel, finally updating from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26
    > * Downloading some stuff with btclient
    > * ...
    >
    > Must be a different Linux :-p

    Mine too. It's running about 170 processes right now, some sleeping, of
    course, with about 2% CPU usage.

    It's been up for only 200 days now, too.

    In any case, DFS is insane. Here's the follow-on to that fellow's plight:

    turning compiz OFF has solved my issues. I shoulda known, I enabled a
    black listed video card, DUH!!

    DFS is insane, or a pathological liar.

    --
    Valerie: Aww, Tom, you're going maudlin on me ...
    Tom: I reserve the right to wax maudlin as I wane eloquent ...

  4. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On 2008-11-02, Chris Ahlstrom was urged to write the following:

    > In any case, DFS is insane. Here's the follow-on to that fellow's plight:
    >
    > turning compiz OFF has solved my issues. I shoulda known, I enabled a
    > black listed video card, DUH!!

    *All* the stability issues in ubuntu 8.04 were because of compiz not
    playing very nice with various video hardware and drivers. I had them
    too, and they eventually led to my migration to Debian. I was really sad
    to see how Canonical could release such a quasimodo to the general public,

    I've installed 8.10 a couple of days ago and it seems that Ubuntu is
    back on track again. No issues whatsoever on my box.

    --
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
    ~ Groucho Marx

  5. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 12:05:01 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "...if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move the
    > mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power button to
    > reboot. This sucks, big time..."
    >
    > #624 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63
    >

    > Linux: the one-app, one-window wonder

    Go Linux!
    You go girl!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-11-02, Chris Ahlstrom was urged to write the following:
    >
    >> In any case, DFS is insane. Here's the follow-on to that fellow's
    >> plight:
    >>
    >> turning compiz OFF has solved my issues. I shoulda known, I
    >> enabled a black listed video card, DUH!!

    > *All* the stability issues in ubuntu 8.04 were because of compiz not
    > playing very nice with various video hardware and drivers.

    Nobody, least of all the Ubuntu crapware "developers", knows what causes the
    freezing issues which have been happening for nearly 2 years and continue on
    in Intrepid.

    > I had them
    > too, and they eventually led to my migration to Debian. I was really
    > sad to see how Canonical could release such a quasimodo to the
    > general public,
    >
    > I've installed 8.10 a couple of days ago and it seems that Ubuntu is
    > back on track again. No issues whatsoever on my box.

  7. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On 2008-11-02, TomB claimed:

    > That's funny, because right now I'm
    > * Editing this post with vim.
    > * Reading this group with slrn.
    > * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists.

    Mutt is widely-used. That's for sure.

    --
    Q: How many Windows jokes are there?
    A: Millions. They're called "users".

  8. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 00:49:10 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-11-01, DFS was urged to write the following:
    >> "...if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move the
    >> mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power button to
    >> reboot. This sucks, big time..."
    >>
    >> #624 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63
    >>

    >> Linux: the one-app, one-window wonder

    Vista random freezes:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2596&SiteID=17

    Windows vista freezes crashes becomes unresponsive:
    http://www.technologyquestions.com/t...esponsive.html

    Vista freezes:
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...a-freezes.html

    Vista freezes oftern:
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...zes-often.html

    Vista freezes for about 10 minutes
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...0-minutes.html

    Vista freezes after 40 minutes of use!
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tes-what-wrong

    Vista, the "Work in Progress" junkware:
    * Ballmer: 'Vista Is a Work in Progress'
    http://www.osnews.com/story/19650

    > That's funny, because right now I'm
    > * Editing this post with vim.
    > * Reading this group with slrn.
    > * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists.
    > * Listening to some sweet music with sonata.
    > * Compiling a realtime kernel, finally updating from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26
    > * Downloading some stuff with btclient
    > * ...
    >
    > Must be a different Linux :-p

    I must be running a different linux too!

    * Got Pan open
    * Running OpenOffice Write & Spreadsheet apps.
    * Firefox open, & doing research in Ancestry.
    * Claws-mail open, reading & replying to emails.
    * Pidgin running, & chatting to people.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  9. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On 2008-11-02, William Poaster was urged to write the following:

    >> That's funny, because right now I'm
    >> * Editing this post with vim.
    >> * Reading this group with slrn.
    >> * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists.
    >> * Listening to some sweet music with sonata.
    >> * Compiling a realtime kernel, finally updating from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26
    >> * Downloading some stuff with btclient
    >> * ...
    >>
    >> Must be a different Linux :-p

    > I must be running a different linux too!
    >
    > * Got Pan open
    > * Running OpenOffice Write & Spreadsheet apps.
    > * Firefox open, & doing research in Ancestry.
    > * Claws-mail open, reading & replying to emails.
    > * Pidgin running, & chatting to people.

    Oh, I totally forgot about Firefox (many tabs), Pidgin and XChat...
    Right now I'm also rendering some audio on a DV file with Kino too.

    --
    Garth, marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries!
    ~ Wayne Campbell

  10. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 00:57:59 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Mutt is widely-used. That's for sure.

    So it appears.

    You, Terry Porter and Roy Schestowitz pass poor, clue less, LiarMutt around
    like a cheap whore at a gang bang.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:00:38 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-11-02, William Poaster was urged to write the following:
    >
    >>> That's funny, because right now I'm
    >>> * Editing this post with vim.
    >>> * Reading this group with slrn.
    >>> * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists.
    >>> * Listening to some sweet music with sonata.
    >>> * Compiling a realtime kernel, finally updating from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26
    >>> * Downloading some stuff with btclient
    >>> * ...
    >>>
    >>> Must be a different Linux :-p

    >> I must be running a different linux too!
    >>
    >> * Got Pan open
    >> * Running OpenOffice Write & Spreadsheet apps.
    >> * Firefox open, & doing research in Ancestry.
    >> * Claws-mail open, reading & replying to emails.
    >> * Pidgin running, & chatting to people.
    >>

    > Oh, I totally forgot about Firefox (many tabs), Pidgin and XChat...
    > Right now I'm also rendering some audio on a DV file with Kino too.

    I forgot to add I'm also using Gimp.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective
    at fleecing the flockers.

  12. Re: Just look at how well Linux multi-tasks

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 00:49:10 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-11-01, DFS was urged to write the following:
    >> "...if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move
    >> the mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power
    >> button to reboot. This sucks, big time..."
    >>
    >> #624 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=63

    >> Linux: the one-app, one-window wonder

    > That's funny, because right now I'm
    > * Editing this post with vim.
    > * Reading this group with slrn.
    > * Have mutt running, catching up on some mailing lists. * Listening to
    > some sweet music with sonata. * Compiling a realtime kernel, finally
    > updating from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26 * Downloading some stuff with btclient *

    Hmm. Let's see.

    Newsgroups via pan.
    Downloading in the background with fetchnews/leafnode.
    Burning a DVD.
    Snarfing files via ktorrent.
    With a KDevelop build going in the background.
    While Skype and Kopete are keeping tabs of communications.
    And Firefox is displaying some web page, forget which.
    And Amarok is cranking the tunes.
    And KOrganizer is keeping track of appointments and reminders.
    And kmail is downloading mail, parsing it through, among others,
    SpamAssassin running as a daemon.
    And Synaptic is downloading several new packages to install.
    And postgres, MySQL and Apache run in the background.
    As does Samba, both client and server.
    As does ssh, currently only as server.
    While kpgp, kwallet and the like manage keys and passwords.
    And the "Picture Frame" widget flips images on the desktop.
    And...

    Total CPU load? Averaging about 10% on CPU1 and 15% on CPU2.
    Total RAM load? About 728MB left out of 2GB.

    Tardboy over there should learn to tell the difference between the
    specific and the general, as in learning why "I saw one brown dog,
    therefore all dogs are brown" doesn't quite work.

+ Reply to Thread