Greetz High Plains Thumper - Linux

This is a discussion on Greetz High Plains Thumper - Linux ; From: High Plains Thumper Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy Subject: Finally busted .... Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:35:18 +0900 Organization: Single Cylinder Bikes Lines: 45 Message-ID: User-Agent: KNode/0.8.2 Well, it looks like I'm busted. I found out that AIOE uses an encrypted ...

  1. Greetz High Plains Thumper

    From: High Plains Thumper
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: Finally busted ....
    Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:35:18 +0900

    Well, it looks like I'm busted.

    I found out that AIOE uses an encrypted ID for posting host, but it is not
    randomised by contact. It is related to the IP address that posting host
    uses and is consistent.

    I figured that since the trolls use AIOE to anonymise themselves, why not?

    I have found out that it can be tied to a particular user. My ISP does not
    change my IP address.

    Live and learn ....

    Anyway, I got a kick out of some of the responses as "Wendy Toiletwater",
    LOL.

    Well, I figure that trying to be like the trolls and do some limited
    trolling is probably, well, best left up to trolls.

    It was fun trying, but it is too much trouble to look for anonymising
    servers.

    BTW, Tim Smith is still on his high horse, believing the COLA charter is in
    error. His position is what it states is not what it means. Now he has
    backed down his claim that 400 advocacy messages are now 200, between the 10
    days that David Sill first posted a straw poll to see if there was an
    interest in creating new newsgroups to replace comp.os.linux.help, then
    modified it to include COLA back in Fall 1994.

    In a casual look on Google, I found that so called advocacy posts on COLH
    took on different flavours. Not all were advocacy related.

    Tim Smith keeps shifting the goal post. Basically he wants a newsgroup that
    matches the comp.unix.advocacy charter created back in 1993.

    It states,

    | CHARTER: For discussions of the form 'Unix sucks!', 'Unix rules!', 'Unix
    | is obsolete!', 'Unix is better/worse than system X', and similar.

    Oddly they got what they wanted back in 1993, but that group now has very
    few posts.

  2. Re: Greetz High Plains Thumper

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:40:05 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > From: High Plains Thumper
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > Subject: Finally busted ....
    > Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:35:18 +0900
    >

    > Well, it looks like I'm busted.
    >
    > I found out that AIOE uses an encrypted ID for posting host, but it is not
    > randomised by contact. It is related to the IP address that posting host
    > uses and is consistent.
    >
    > I figured that since the trolls use AIOE to anonymise themselves, why not?
    >
    > I have found out that it can be tied to a particular user. My ISP does not
    > change my IP address.
    >
    > Live and learn ....
    >
    > Anyway, I got a kick out of some of the responses as "Wendy Toiletwater",
    > LOL.
    >
    > Well, I figure that trying to be like the trolls and do some limited
    > trolling is probably, well, best left up to trolls.
    >
    > It was fun trying, but it is too much trouble to look for anonymising
    > servers.
    >
    > BTW, Tim Smith is still on his high horse, believing the COLA charter is in
    > error. His position is what it states is not what it means. Now he has
    > backed down his claim that 400 advocacy messages are now 200, between the 10
    > days that David Sill first posted a straw poll to see if there was an
    > interest in creating new newsgroups to replace comp.os.linux.help, then
    > modified it to include COLA back in Fall 1994.
    >
    > In a casual look on Google, I found that so called advocacy posts on COLH
    > took on different flavours. Not all were advocacy related.
    >
    > Tim Smith keeps shifting the goal post. Basically he wants a newsgroup that
    > matches the comp.unix.advocacy charter created back in 1993.
    >
    > It states,
    >
    >| CHARTER: For discussions of the form 'Unix sucks!', 'Unix rules!', 'Unix
    >| is obsolete!', 'Unix is better/worse than system X', and similar.
    >
    > Oddly they got what they wanted back in 1993, but that group now has very
    > few posts.

    HPT was talking to himself the other day.
    He was posting as HPT and then replying using Rafael under aioe.org.

    He gets caught all the time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: