Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group? - Linux

This is a discussion on Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group? - Linux ; I found this bit of text in: http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm Subject: 5.3 A moderated newsgroup A Moderated newsgroup is almost impossible to troll. misc.kids a newsgroup for parents and carers for kids, rather than the kids themselves, had trolling problems as recorded ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

  1. Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    I found this bit of text in:

    Subject: 5.3 A moderated newsgroup

    recorded in http://www.misckids.org/history.txt

    >>> The misc.kids.moderated effort began sometime in the

    summer of 1996, when a regular poster to misc.kids, Roger
    Hunt, suggested to the newsgroup, as well as others who were
    former regular posters, that we establish a moderated
    alternative to misc.kids. This time, unlike previous
    occasions when this type of suggestion was made, many people
    seized upon the idea. Misc.kids had suffered several troll
    invasions; many regular and trusted posters had left; and
    the level of discourse had declined. Colleen Porter did a
    straw poll on some issues related to creating a new
    newsgroup and got 199 responses. Those responses have been
    thoughtfully considered throughout this creation process and
    form the basis for much of what appears in the RFD. <<<

    Towards the end of 1997 misc.kids.moderated was created
    see: http://www.misckids.org/

    After the creation of misc.kids.moderated the level of
    _destructive_ trolling of misc.kids fell drastically. At
    the time of writing, misc.kids.moderated is a small but
    thriving newsgroup, also misc.kids is a large newsgroup, but
    riven by On Topic disputes. On a superficial examination it
    could be concluded that the creation of mkm was a waste of
    time and effort, because mk now has only minor problems. On
    a deeper examination, it could be concluded that the
    existence of mkm protects mk from the worst of the outright
    trolling, presumably because in the case of drastic
    problems, subscribers could move to mkm.

    Pro:

    It works and is a traditional usenet method of solving the
    problems of troublesome newsgroups.

    Con:

    It requires a permanently on line machine. It requires a
    moderbot to handle much of the work. It requires a team of
    moderators ideally about six to handle posts which the
    moderbot does not approve. It requires a very well written
    charter, with specific moderation guidelines, otherwise
    the moderators will end up accepting or rejecting posts on
    personal preference. The Trolls will try to become
    moderators, and cause mayhem. Changing from a non moderated
    to a moderated newsgroup is *extremely* difficult. A new
    newsgroup with the same name but .moderated would normally
    have to be created. This would need an RFD and vote in the
    uk.* hierarchy, if that is where the newsgroup is to be
    situated.
    There is some overhead involved. It would require organising,
    advertising, straw poll, voting, establishment and resources
    (dedicated server and management staff).

    Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    group? Your thoughts?

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  2. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 07:58:21 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    > group? Your thoughts?

    I think you're right. Assholes like Queeg and Splat make it miserable for
    the real users here.

  3. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:15:18 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > A moderated cola would be perfect for you "advocate*" bozos. You'll finally
    > be able to lie and whine about MS and Windows in relative peace, without the
    > harsh truth to ruin your la-la worldview where MS is doomed/dying/dead and
    > Linux won/is winning/will win.

    And scumbag ****heads like you would be pretty much neutered. Sounds like a
    plan to me.

    You pitiful, trolling weenie.

  4. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:15:18 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >> group? Your thoughts?

    > A moderated cola would be perfect for you "advocate*" bozos. You'll finally
    > be able to lie and whine about MS and Windows in relative peace, without the
    > harsh truth to ruin your la-la worldview where MS is doomed/dying/dead and
    > Linux won/is winning/will win.

    Yea, all 5 of them!!
    Bwwwwwwaaaaaa!

    I can hear it now:

    Schestowitz: Isn't Linux great!

    Terry: That's the best advocacy I heard in years. Keep up the good work
    Roy!

    [Homer] : Microsoft sucks

    Terry: That's the best Linux advocacy I have heard in years! Keep up the
    good work [Homer].

    LiarMutt: I saw a Linux Netbook at CircuitCity!

    Terry: That's the best Linux advocacy........

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    > group? Your thoughts?

    A moderated cola would be perfect for you "advocate*" bozos. You'll finally
    be able to lie and whine about MS and Windows in relative peace, without the
    harsh truth to ruin your la-la worldview where MS is doomed/dying/dead and
    Linux won/is winning/will win.

  6. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:00:47 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > What's wrong, luser - your supposed Linux "office migration" was a big
    > failure? Or did the company go bankrupt?

    What are you hallucinating about?

  7. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    It's not going to help you moron. MS Vista NG(s) are moderated. And
    there are long standing battles between the Linux and MS camps and
    anyone else that wants to join in. MS is KF-ing those posts left and
    right some right out of the gate by some, and it's not stopping anything
    -- nothing.

  8. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Terry's Web Server wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> I found this bit of text in:
    >>
    >> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    >> A Moderated newsgroup is almost impossible to troll.
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> [...] Perhaps it is time to start
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group? Your thoughts?

    > [ignored]
    >
    > It's not going to help you moron.

    Interesting that this nymshifting troll can't express itself
    without insulting the poster.

    > MS Vista NG(s) are moderated. And there are long standing
    > battles between the Linux and MS camps and anyone else that
    > wants to join in.

    That is because the moderators set up the ground rules throug
    their charter and permit such.

    > MS is KF-ing those posts left and right some right out of the
    > gate by some, and it's not stopping anything -- nothing.

    Of course they are unable to drown out Linux advocacy. Linux is
    gaining, in spite of the attempts to astroturf and seed this
    newsgroup. Best I can say is, "Get Over It".

    *Coming to a neighourhood near you.*

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  9. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:15:18 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> A moderated cola would be perfect for you "advocate*" bozos. You'll
    >> finally be able to lie and whine about MS and Windows in relative
    >> peace, without the harsh truth to ruin your la-la worldview where MS
    >> is doomed/dying/dead and Linux won/is winning/will win.

    > And scumbag ****heads like you would be pretty much neutered. Sounds
    > like a plan to me.
    >
    > You pitiful, trolling weenie.

    What's wrong, luser - your supposed Linux "office migration" was a big
    failure? Or did the company go bankrupt?

  10. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:15:18 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >>> group? Your thoughts?

    >> A moderated cola would be perfect for you "advocate*" bozos. You'll
    >> finally be able to lie and whine about MS and Windows in relative
    >> peace, without the harsh truth to ruin your la-la worldview where MS
    >> is doomed/dying/dead and Linux won/is winning/will win.

    > Yea, all 5 of them!!
    > Bwwwwwwaaaaaa!
    >
    > I can hear it now:
    >
    > Schestowitz: Isn't Linux great!
    >
    > Terry: That's the best advocacy I heard in years. Keep up the good
    > work Roy!
    >
    > [Homer] : Microsoft sucks
    >
    > Terry: That's the best Linux advocacy I have heard in years! Keep up
    > the good work [Homer].
    >
    > LiarMutt: I saw a Linux Netbook at CircuitCity!
    >
    > Terry: That's the best Linux advocacy........

    hahha!!!

    Poor HPT would get real lonely with nobody to quote the FAQ to...

  11. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >> It's not going to help you moron.

    > Interesting that this nymshifting troll can't express itself
    > without insulting the poster.

    You insignificant piss-ant, you don't deserve any respect.

  12. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    DFS wrote:
    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:15:18 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> A moderated cola would be perfect for you "advocate*" bozos. You'll
    >>> finally be able to lie and whine about MS and Windows in relative
    >>> peace, without the harsh truth to ruin your la-la worldview where MS
    >>> is doomed/dying/dead and Linux won/is winning/will win.

    >> And scumbag ****heads like you would be pretty much neutered. Sounds
    >> like a plan to me.
    >>
    >> You pitiful, trolling weenie.

    > What's wrong, luser - your supposed Linux "office migration" was a big
    > failure? Or did the company go bankrupt?

    Two faced Tattoo is over in the Vista NG graveling for help, defanged. :-P

  13. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Terry's Web Server wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Terry's Web Server wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It's not going to help you moron.

    >> Interesting that this nymshifting troll can't express itself
    >> without insulting the poster.

    > You insignificant piss-ant, you don't deserve any respect.

    This troll must be bored. Well, let me give something to cheer
    it up:

    http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/10...windows-vista/

    or http://tinyurl.com/59mqt2

    BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY
    The WSJ examines the world of technology in business.

    October 29, 2008, 5:00 pm
    Netbooks and the End of Windows Vista

    H-P on Wednesday unveiled a “netbook,” a miniature laptop that
    costs $399. The announcement makes it the latest company to
    widely sell smaller, cheaper – and less powerful – PCs.

    For years, success in the PC world was measured in improvements
    in storage and processing power. But several computer makers late
    last year introduced netbooks, which were initially aimed at
    people who couldn’t afford conventional computers. These
    computers have taken off like wildfire.

    They emerged too late to make a dent in last year’s sales
    figures, but netbook sales should reach 10.8 million in 2008, or
    about 7.3% of all laptop sales, according to IDC, which is set to
    release its netbook forecast late Wednesday. Netbook sales are
    expected to reach 20.8 million in 2009, or about 11.1% of all
    laptop sales.
    buhbye Vista .... it was nice knowing you.

    Hello Linux ....

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  14. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

  15. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

> [...]

    > moderators ideally about six to handle posts which the
    > moderbot does not approve. It requires a very well written
    > charter, with specific moderation guidelines, otherwise
    > the moderators will end up accepting or rejecting posts on
    > personal preference. The Trolls will try to become
    > moderators, and cause mayhem. Changing from a non moderated
    > to a moderated newsgroup is *extremely* difficult. A new
    > newsgroup with the same name but .moderated would normally
    > have to be created. This would need an RFD and vote in the
    > uk.* hierarchy, if that is where the newsgroup is to be
    > situated.
    >

    > There is some overhead involved. It would require organising,
    > advertising, straw poll, voting, establishment and resources
    > (dedicated server and management staff).
    >
    > Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated

    I agree, & it's one of the reasons I like mailing lists.

    Seems like the trolls are squealing already. ;-)

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  16. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Terry's Web Server wrote:
    >>
    >>> You insignificant piss-ant, you don't deserve any respect.

    >> This troll must be bored. Well, let me give something to
    >> cheer it up:
    >>
    >> http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/10...windows-vista/
    >>
    >> or http://tinyurl.com/59mqt2

    BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY
    >> The WSJ examines the world of technology in business.
    >>
    >> October 29, 2008, 5:00 pm
    >> Netbooks and the End of Windows Vista
    >>
    >> H-P on Wednesday unveiled a “netbook,” a miniature laptop
    >> that costs $399. The announcement makes it the latest
    >> company to widely sell smaller, cheaper – and less powerful
    >> – PCs.
    >>
    >> For years, success in the PC world was measured in
    >> improvements in storage and processing power. But several
    >> computer makers late last year introduced netbooks, which
    >> were initially aimed at people who couldn’t afford
    >> conventional computers. These computers have taken off like
    >> wildfire.
    >>
    >> They emerged too late to make a dent in last year’s sales
    >> figures, but netbook sales should reach 10.8 million in
    >> 2008, or about 7.3% of all laptop sales, according to IDC,
    >> which is set to release its netbook forecast late Wednesday.
    >> Netbook sales are expected to reach 20.8 million in 2009, or
    >> about 11.1% of all laptop sales.
    >>
    >> buhbye Vista .... it was nice knowing you.
    >>
    >> Hello Linux ....

    > Last time I wanted to bet you that your office would adopt
    > Vista before it would adopt Linux crudware you ran away.

    Well, well, well, another bored troll. Anything other than Alma
    Mater M$ is crudware, how cute.

    > Using Vista at work already, eh?

    This is a another industrial strength information compromising
    technique called "phishing".

    But hey, besides the sales of Linux netbooks in the private
    sector are the embracing of FOSS in the public sector. Here is
    something of interest to cheer up this troll:

    http://www.bryantsblog.com/?p=84

    (September 18th, 2008)
    Public Health IT and Open Source Software | Focus at GOSCON 2008
    Posted by Deborah Bryant in Events, GOSCON, National Government,
    Projects, State Government.

    I’m happy to report GOSCON this year is featuring more government
    open source projects and implementations that ever. I’m
    especially excited about our Open Public Health IT track which
    covers the spectrum between local and international governments
    and vendors. GOSCON is all about building the IT ecosystem and
    I’m pleased to say this will be an outstanding showcase
    innovative work done by agencies as thoughtful stewards of our
    tax dollars. Enough said. Here’s the press release in full for
    your perusal:

    (okay - must add…. you can read the case study for the Health
    Atlas Ireland project on the epractice.eu web site).

    Portland, Ore. – September 18, 2008 – Deb Bryant, Government Open
    Source Conference (GOSCON) director, announced today that the
    fourth annual 2008 conference will feature an Open Public Health
    IT track to explore both a strategic direction for open source in
    the public health sector as well as real-world applications that
    are in use today by agencies around the world.

    For the first time, GOSCON is bringing together thought leaders
    in government, open source, and public health who will share
    their deep, practical experience in public health, enterprise
    architectures, standards, as well as open source tools and
    methodologies as they are applied to this domain. According to
    Bryant, “Exciting developments are taking place in public health
    IT world-wide. The growing use of open source in public health IT
    projects and application development is one of the most important
    trends we’ve seen in the last five years. With increased
    economic pressures and an aging population, governments and
    vendors are collaborating in new ways. This is transformational
    technology and a fresh approach to public-private partnerships
    that serve the pubic well.”
    Bomp, bomp, bomp, another one bytes the dust ....

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  17. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    William Poaster wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> I found this bit of text in:
    >>
    >> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm

    >> A Moderated newsgroup is almost impossible to troll. [...]
    >>

    >> There is some overhead involved. It would require
    >> organising, advertising, straw poll, voting, establishment
    >> and resources (dedicated server and management staff).
    >>
    >> Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >> group? Your thoughts?

    > I agree, & it's one of the reasons I like mailing lists.
    >
    > Seems like the trolls are squealing already. ;-)

    We haven't heard the last of it! :-)

    Per the Hyphenologist link:

    Subject: 5.1 Ignore them and they will go away.

    [...]

    uk.local.yorkshire contained this telling sentence.
    > Most people like the countryside, but not everyone is willing
    > to tread shin deep through pig **** to get to a meadow.
    Kill filing is only a partial solution. In a moderated group,
    only place the trolls would be screaming is outside the forum.
    They could wallow in their mire there.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  18. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Tattoo Vampire on Saturday 01 November 2008 14:33 : \____
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 07:58:21 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps it is time to start comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >>> group? Your thoughts?

    >> I think you're right. Assholes like Queeg and Splat make it miserable for
    >> the real users here.

    > I'm in favour. Let's do this. :-)

    A moderated advocacy group? Really?

    --
    We are Linux. Resistance is measured in Ohms.

  19. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

  20. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    DFS wrote:
    > Terry's Web Server wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> What's wrong, luser - your supposed Linux "office migration" was a
    >>> big failure? Or did the company go bankrupt?
    >>>

    >> Two faced Tattoo is over in the Vista NG graveling for help,
    >> defanged. :-P

    > Which Vista group?

    MS.public.windows.Vista.General

+ Reply to Thread