Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group? - Linux

This is a discussion on Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group? - Linux ; DFS wrote: > Of course. *Linux hypocrite "advocates*" are all in favor of choice and > freedom... as long as it's the choices and freedoms they like The purpose of a Linux Advocacy newsgroup is advocate Linux, not to spend ...

  1. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    DFS wrote:

    > Of course. *Linux hypocrite "advocates*" are all in favor of choice and
    > freedom... as long as it's the choices and freedoms they like

    The purpose of a Linux Advocacy newsgroup is advocate Linux, not to spend
    hours a day wiping the WinTroll drool out of the newsgroup.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Homer on Wednesday :
    >>> Mark Kent spake thusly:

    >>> You're right, I forgot about that one.
    >>>
    >>> I've also just remembered the one where he suggested that
    >>> giving laptops to African children would be dangerous,
    >>> because it'd breed a whole new generation of 419'ers.

    >> He also attacked me and harassed an artist in attempt to
    >> have me sued.

    > Nice fantasy. The reality is you ripped off an artist,
    > refused to stop ripping the artist off when it was pointed out
    > to you (on the assumption it may have been an accident). He
    > then told the artist about it.

    Oh yeah, it is a nice fantasy for ad hominem attacker Tim Smith,
    who once again brings up a really old settled fallacy, captured
    in Google with all of its glory:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5aad026463ee2b

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: High Plains Thumper
    Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:58:47
    Subject: Re: [BREAKING NEWS] OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    flatfish wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> Correct, it is all in Google, another trumped up charge
    >>> that has little to do with advocacy.
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4fb6d75517c9f7

    >> [Usual gob of irrelevancy HPT always posts deleted]

    [Tim Smith's usual selective troll snippage reinstated]

    >>> Correct, it is all in Google, another trumped up charge
    >>> that has little to do with advocacy.
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4fb6d75517c9f7

    A casual browse of his website shows mostly text
    >>> with very little graphics. What limited graphics exist
    >>> appear generic and iconish.

    >>> IMHO, Fare Use clause in British copyright law allows the
    >>> use of an image downloaded from the internet for personal
    >>> use and research, provided credit is given to the
    >>> owner/author. Being a graduate student, Mr. Schestowitz
    >>> is a researcher.
    >>>
    >>> Did Mr. Schestowitz defame the author? I think not.
    >>>
    >>> Did he stretch the Fare Use clause in British copyright
    >>> law by posting this only image on the net? Perhaps.
    >>>
    >>> However, would the American author consider it worthwhile
    >>> to go after a college student, seeking compensation on
    >>> British soil for a personal non-profit blog site with
    >>> limited content and low volume hits? That would be
    >>> ridiculous.

    >> Of course, that has nothing to do with what Flatfish is
    >> talking about, and you know that. Flatfish is talking about
    >> the incident where Roy took the work of a commercial
    >> artist, who sells licenses for the use of that work on the
    >> net, and decided that if he (Roy) gave credit to the artist,
    >> he didn't need to get a license, even though Roy was using
    >> it in a way not covered by fair use, and in a way to
    >> diminish the market for the work. The incident where, when
    >> informed that what he was doing was wrong, Roy did not do
    >> the right thing (which 99% of us here would have done) and
    >> immediately take down the image until he could contact the
    >> artist and work something out--instead he kept the image up
    >> for weeks, before finally obeying the law and the artists
    >> requests, and took it down.

    Here we go again, the same old, tired rants, non-Linux advocacy
    stuff being hounded on non-COLA issues 17 months later. You have
    a way of making a mountain out of a mole hill, don't you, Timmy?

    >> Oh, but Roy uses Linux, so you HAVE to support him, even
    >> when he is ripping off an artist, don't you? That's what
    >> you think Linux advocacy means.

    > Exactly! Thank you Tim.
    >
    > I'm convinced that people like HPT will lie tooth and nail
    > just to back up Linux and the so called Linux supporters, like
    > Roy and Mark.

    Hmmm, interesting anti-Linux advocacy agenda. The same
    accusations. Calling those that post unfavourably liars. Very
    rude, very inappropriate. I found this quote of great interest
    made July 23, 2006, still appropriate:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c63927eb89dbed

    My approach to this has changed a lot over the years. I used to
    offer the benefit of the doubt to posters who looked new or I
    didn't know, but over time, I've seen so many troll posts, that I
    just tend to plonk on sight, sometimes with a short (1 liner)
    warning to the rest of the group. I think I just lack the
    patience...

    The whole experience of being in cola has been very interesting,
    as it has 100% confirmed that there is a class or group of
    people, like Erik F, Tim Smith, Flatty/Gary, Grug, k-man and so
    on who will take a great and deliberate delight from off-topic
    posting, and will follow any possible argument they can to
    support what they do. There is nothing anyone can say to them
    which is going to move them from their positions - they are only
    here to disrupt, and that is what they will do. I've
    speculated many times on the kind of personality it must take to
    do that; and the impact on the person over a long period. I
    suspect it's quite nasty. I wonder if they'll ever recover?

    > All of these people make all kinds of accusations yet they
    > never seem to provide any proof and when a person asks for
    > proof they even make fun of that request by brushing it off.
    >
    > I've asked a simple question. Prove I am Gary Stewart. I've
    > offered to contribute to a charity of the person's choice.
    > People keep making the accusation, stating it like it is fact
    > yet they can't seem to prove it. And if they can't even prove
    > I am one person, how on earth can they prove I am all the
    > people in that ridiculous list?
    >
    > I am a couple of them BTW, only because I've changed ISP's
    > several times over the years. And they can't even prove those
    > ones without help from me.
    >
    > Frankly this group has become a total fraud. A maniac spammer
    > who is a liar and thief as well who has a couple of wannabes
    > hanging around him. That's about the size of it.

    Your rant has nothing to do with Linux advocacy. Reference:

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
    operating systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
    newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for
    the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to
    discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the
    promotion and development of Linux. It supports this as a place
    for those who would like to learn more about Linux to come to
    learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
    place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to
    discredit Linux.
    Please take your off-charter rants to another forum, to which
    they belong.
    --
    HPT

  3. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    In article <49136639$0$17069$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org>,
    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    > > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >>
    > >> He also attacked me and harassed an artist in attempt to
    > >> have me sued.

    > > Nice fantasy. The reality is you ripped off an artist,
    > > refused to stop ripping the artist off when it was pointed out
    > > to you (on the assumption it may have been an accident). He
    > > then told the artist about it.

    > Oh yeah, it is a nice fantasy for ad hominem attacker Tim Smith,
    > who once again brings up a really old settled fallacy, captured
    > in Google with all of its glory:

    Read more carefully. Roy brought it up, not me.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    RonB wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Of course. Linux hypocrite "advocates*" are all in favor of choice
    >> and freedom... as long as it's the choices and freedoms they like

    > The purpose of a Linux Advocacy newsgroup is advocate Linux,

    There's not much Linux "advocacy*" going on here, and there never has been.
    It's incredibly easy to killfile everyone except the handful of true
    advocates... but few of you do that 'cause cola becomes real boring real
    quick without contrary opinions.

    > not to spend hours a day wiping the WinTroll drool out of the newsgroup.

    Absent 'wintrolls', who would correct all the ridiculous lying about MS and
    Windows that constitutes cola Linux "advocacy*"?

  5. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    DFS wrote:

    > There's not much Linux "advocacy*" going on here, and there never has
    > been. It's incredibly easy to killfile everyone except the handful of true
    > advocates... but few of you do that 'cause cola becomes real boring real
    > quick without contrary opinions.

    Contrary opinions are fine. It's the constant parroting of the same,
    worn-out, retreaded lies, over and over, that get monotonous.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    In article <4913c4c8$0$17066$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org>,
    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > > Read more carefully. Roy brought it up, not me.

    > This is an example of:

    ....you being pwned. If you want to pretend Roy didn't bring it up,
    maybe you shouldn't have *quoted* *Roy* *bringing* *it* *up*.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    flatfish wrote:

    >>> Here we go again, the same old, tired rants, non-Linux
    >>> advocacy stuff being hounded on non-COLA issues 17 months
    >>> later. You have a way of making a mountain out of a mole
    >>> hill, don't you, Timmy?

    >>> Your rant has nothing to do with Linux advocacy.
    >>> Reference:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    >>> The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
    >>>
    >>> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
    >>> operating systems.
    >>>
    >>> That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
    >>> newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter
    >>> is for the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to
    >>> gather to discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux
    >>> community and the promotion and development of Linux. It
    >>> supports this as a place for those who would like to learn
    >>> more about Linux to come to learn from those who know
    >>> Linux. It does not call for it to be a place where the
    >>> anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to discredit
    >>> Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Please take your off-charter rants to another forum, to
    >>> which they belong.

    >> Read more carefully. Roy brought it up, not me.

    > This is an example of:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    > 12. Blame your stupidity and lies on your opponent. Blame
    > your own stupidity on the Linux advocate you are dealing with.
    > Such as when you have made an unsupportable claim that suggest
    > a list of details and your are asked to present your
    > non-existent list reply with, "I don't have to list them for
    > you; you aren't bright enough to know what you're missing by
    > using X instead of a real Y, I'm not going to explain it to
    > you." Then hope that nobody reading the thread realizes that
    > your statement translates as, "I lack the knowledge or facts
    > needed to counter your position or your position is too
    > complete and accurate to be refuted. So, I will say things to
    > sound superior to avoid admitting you are right."
    >
    > ...you being pwned. If you want to pretend Roy didn't bring
    > it up, maybe you shouldn't have *quoted* *Roy* *bringing* *it*
    > *up*.

    This is an example of an ad hominem attack.

    http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

    Ad hominem troll

    Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people personally,
    rather than the merits of their statements or methodologies.

    The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational argument
    about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the argument from
    being about a topic, to being about the people opposed to the
    troll (which could mean any/all rational person(s) in the
    discussion), in the hopes of both discrediting people's ideas
    indirectly by discrediting the people, and engendering an
    emotional reaction from the people by attacking their egos /
    self-image. The "getting a reaction out of" goal is common to
    most troll types.

    The simple ad hominem troll is easily detected and dealt with by
    calling them on their ad hominem attacks.

    However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse with
    seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy etc. Using
    rational tone, they may lull you into thinking that they are
    rational in general and thus their entire message should be
    considered rational. Once they have established such an
    impression, then they will then descend into personal attacks
    which may even sound reasonably worded, until you recognize them
    for what they are, nothing more than personal attacks.

    Example: thacker. thacker starts by ignoring the previous comment
    (which itself was a rational challenge to thacker's earlier
    statements), repeating himself (see the section below on
    Repeating themselves), then moves onto an analogy. Afterwards he
    continues with personal attacks, starting subtly worded, then
    increasingly harsh:

    * "some here, yourself included, will not see nor understand
    the parallels"
    * "Your noses are simply buried too deeply into the
    proverbial bark."
    * "Or you lack the courage, will, ability to step away and
    ask the truly difficult questions. That is a shame."
    Give it up, Tim. The more you post, the more stupid you look.

    --
    HPT

  8. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 22:31:35 -0600, RonB wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> There's not much Linux "advocacy*" going on here, and there never has
    >> been. It's incredibly easy to killfile everyone except the handful of true
    >> advocates... but few of you do that 'cause cola becomes real boring real
    >> quick without contrary opinions.

    > Contrary opinions are fine. It's the constant parroting of the same,
    > worn-out, retreaded lies, over and over, that get monotonous.

    It *is* incredibly easy to killfile everyone except the handful of true
    advocates. As for boring, DFS is one of the *most* boring anti-linux
    trolls. All he does is post stuff which he's trawled google for, *nothing*
    that he's actually experienced & wishes to discuss. As you say, he
    monotonously repeats the same old worn out lies on which he's been
    corrected *many* times but chooses to ignore.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  9. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

  10. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Friday:
    >
    >> This is an example of an ad hominem attack.
    >>
    >> http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

    > Nothing was said about the fact that the artist was attributed
    > by name *AND* a URL to his Web site, which is a form of free
    > publicity. Many people like that, a few even like this without
    > attribution by name *OR* URL (I gave both).
    >
    > The artist did not mind the traffic he was getting from the
    > link, AFAIK. It's only after Erik had /repeatedly/ bothered
    > him that he sent me a polite E-mail (it took a while).
    >
    > Life of a Microsoft Munchkin...
    >
    > They tried to do that to Groklaw as well, even for 'daring' to
    > *link* to a page where copyright infringement existed.

    I found it out of place to bring up a 30 month old off-charter ad
    hominem topic, that had nothing to do with discussions on the
    comparisons of the benefits of Linux to other operating systems.

    Since they could not argue charter topics, decided instead to
    attack individual posters, propagate lies, innuendos,
    half-truths, and ad nauseum.

    It is just as Dilbert said, "First they drag you down to their
    level and then beat you with their experience."

    The only thing both Erik and Funkenbusch wannabee Tim Smith have
    in common is experience in sliming this newsgroup. They do their
    selective snippages to remove the offensive part (to them that
    is) and them home in a small bit of text. (Actually, this
    practise is common to all trolls here.)

    Their defence of the convicted monopoly is appalling. It smacks
    of Microsoft Evangelism:

    'Use [...] the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the
    enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, [...] associated with
    mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
    Bunny". Just keep rubbing it in, via the [...] newsgroups, [...]
    make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
    the mythology of the computer industry.'

    (reference PDF pages 45 & 55 on
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf - Comes vs Microsoft
    lawsuit)

    --
    HPT

  11. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    William Poaster wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Kill filing is only a partial solution. In a moderated
    >> group, only place the trolls would be screaming is outside
    >> the forum. They could wallow in their mire there.

    > I'm all for that.
    >
    > A moderated yahoo group could be set up, & by invitation only.
    > I'm already a member of a couple (which have nothing to do
    > with computers BTW, although there *are* some linux groups), &
    > it works very well.

    It is interesting to note that even DFS has squeeled, telling
    advocates they would be bored, as if he adds anything of value to
    his ad hominem attack and blind Google Linux soil dredging postings.

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Homer on Wednesday 05 November 2008 10:08 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >>> Homer espoused:

    >>> Like his attack on Rex, say? Erik is a digusting character, who has
    >>> no place in this group at all. He has indulged in one of the
    >>> nastiest ever attacks on our on-topic crowd, and continues to push
    >>> his off-topic, anti-charter material any opportunity he can.

    >> You're right, I forgot about that one.
    >>
    >> I've also just remembered the one where he suggested that giving laptops
    >> to African children would be dangerous, because it'd breed a whole new
    >> generation of 419'ers.

    > He also attacked me and harassed an artist in attempt to have me sued.

    Good point - I forgot about that one... but it was an atrocious attempt
    to cause trouble.

  13. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    High Plains Thumper espoused:
    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> Sinister Midget wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why not simply filter? Is there anybody here who can't? Are
    >>> there people here who are married to a newsreader that can't
    >>> handle deleting users who annoy them?

    >> Even when you filter the fools, their crap still spills over
    >> into the thread when someone quotes them in their followup. I
    >> shouldn't have to kill an entire thread because of trolls.

    > It is more than that. It spills over into Internet searches and
    > clutters up the entire Internet. It is just as spoken of in:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >

    > Subject: 5.1 Ignore them and they will go away.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > uk.local.yorkshire contained this telling sentence.
    >> Most people like the countryside, but not everyone is willing
    >> to tread shin deep through pig sh*t to get to a meadow.

    Eee by gum, lad, tha's got a point!

  14. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    High Plains Thumper wrote in

    > I found it out of place to bring up a 30 month old off-charter ad
    > hominem topic, that had nothing to do with discussions on the
    > comparisons of the benefits of Linux to other operating systems.

    *snip*

    I thought it was oddly out of place as well.

    I wonder why Roy did that...

  15. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <4913c20d$0$17070$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org>,
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >> This is an example of an ad hominem attack:

    > OK, so you've demonstrated that you have no idea what "ad hominem"
    > means.

    He did that yesterday. After that sad little loser Chris Ahlstrom
    started snipping my corrections to his nonsense about X versus DirectX
    and OpenGL he then insulted me and called me a wintroll even though
    nothing I posted was pro MS. This Thumper loser then accused me of ad
    hominem attacks even though it was quite clear who started getting
    snotty. This group really is the loony bin that was descibed to me a long
    time ago. I particularly like this Terry Potter guy who seems to think
    he's the boss of the group, I was laughing so much at his pretentious
    strutting. What a bunch of fools!

  16. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:09:34 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ High Plains Thumper on Friday 07 November 2008 10:06 : \____
    >
    >> This is an example of an ad hominem attack.
    >>
    >> http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

    > Nothing was said about the fact that the artist was attributed by name *AND* a
    > URL to his Web site, which is a form of free publicity. Many people like that,
    > a few even like this without attribution by name *OR* URL (I gave both).

    Irrelevant. It was still a violation of copyright law, and you damn well
    know it. It's not YOUR place to decide if the author got a fair deal or
    not, it's the authors place.

    > The artist did not mind the traffic he was getting from the link, AFAIK. It's
    > only after Erik had /repeatedly/ bothered him that he sent me a polite E-mail
    > (it took a while).

    Repeatedly bothered? He asked me for information, and he told me he
    emailed you multiple times with no response.

  17. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:14:47 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> ____/ Homer on Wednesday 05 November 2008 10:08 : \____
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    >>> You're right, I forgot about that one.
    >>>
    >>> I've also just remembered the one where he suggested that giving laptops
    >>> to African children would be dangerous, because it'd breed a whole new
    >>> generation of 419'ers.

    >> He also attacked me and harassed an artist in attempt to have me sued.
    >>

    > Good point - I forgot about that one... but it was an atrocious attempt
    > to cause trouble.

    Then perhaps Roy shouldn't commit criminal acts then.

    Nice to know you side with criminals, though. So much for your holier than
    thou attitude.

  18. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:14:47 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> Good point - I forgot about that one... but it was an atrocious attempt
    >> to cause trouble.

    > Then perhaps Roy shouldn't commit criminal acts then.
    >
    > Nice to know you side with criminals, though. So much for your holier than
    > thou attitude.

    You little squealer!

    --
    clone, n:
    1. An exact duplicate, as in "our product is a clone of their

  19. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:38:41 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:43:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> He also attacked me and harassed an artist in attempt to have me sued.

    > You violated copyright law. I asked the author if you had permission to
    > copy his work, the author said no and asked ME for more information. I
    > did not harass him, that's your fantasy because you got caught stealing
    > someone elses work.
    >
    > Why else were you ultimately forced to remove it?

    Ahh Erik the Wintroll, is the Windows Police and Copyright Police on COLA
    as well!

    Well done Erik, what a guy.

    It's a shame your Police work is so selective and that you work for a
    convicted thief yourself.

  20. Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

    On 2008-11-08, Terry Porter claimed:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:38:41 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >> You violated copyright law. I asked the author if you had permission to
    >> copy his work, the author said no and asked ME for more information. I
    >> did not harass him, that's your fantasy because you got caught stealing
    >> someone elses work.
    >>
    >> Why else were you ultimately forced to remove it?

    > Ahh Erik the Wintroll, is the Windows Police and Copyright Police on COLA
    > as well!
    >
    > Well done Erik, what a guy.
    >
    > It's a shame your Police work is so selective and that you work for a
    > convicted thief yourself.

    I don't recall Ewik ever uttering or typing a syllable comdemning
    Flatso's admitted thefts. But he went after Roy with a vengence without
    knowing if it was an innocent mistake, he had permission to use it,
    etc.

    Yeah, I know he claimed to have contacted the owner/copyright holder.
    But he made the assumption _before_ contacting the person. He had the
    admission of Flatfart s/h/itself and didn't make a sound, without need
    for an assumption.

    Some would call that hypocrisy. If that is the applicable term, it's
    spelled F-U-N-K-E-N-B-U-S-C-H.

    --
    Frontpage: Allowing more people who can't design to be on the web.