BTRFS (butterfs) - Linux

This is a discussion on BTRFS (butterfs) - Linux ; Mike Trausch mentioned "butterfs", and it took a minute to figure out what he was talking about : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs Btrfs (B-tree FS or usually pronounced "Better FS"[1][2]) is a copy-on-write file system for Linux announced by Oracle in 2007.[3] Its ...

  1. BTRFS (butterfs)

    Mike Trausch mentioned "butterfs", and it took a minute to figure out what
    he was talking about:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

    Btrfs (B-tree FS or usually pronounced "Better FS"[1][2]) is a
    copy-on-write file system for Linux announced by Oracle in 2007.[3] Its
    developers expect it to replace the ext3 file system while removing a
    number of its limitations, particularly with respect to file size, total
    file system size and filesystem check duration; it is also expected to
    implement modern filesystem features not supported by ext3, like writable
    snapshots, snapshots of snapshots, builtin RAID support, and subvolumes.
    In addition, Btrfs claims a "focus on fault tolerance, repair and easy
    administration."[4]

    As of August 2008[update], Btrfs is still under heavy development and is
    only intended for testing. Btrfs v0.16 was released August 5, 2008, as
    free software under the GNU General Public License (GPL).[5] Btrfs v1.0
    (with finalized on-disk format) is scheduled to be released in late 2008.

    It does look interesting. Thanks, Mike!

    --
    His ideas of first-aid stopped short of squirting soda water.
    -- P. G. Wodehouse

  2. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:06:02 -0400
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > It does look interesting. Thanks, Mike!

    I'll be interested in checking it out when it's included in the
    mainline kernel even in the staging area. I reserved some space to
    tinker with it to see what I think of it.

    Though, I think "butterfs" is probably not the best name in the world.
    Makes me think "butter fingers," which really isn't something I'd want
    to associate with a filesystem... but we'll see how it actually does.
    After all, judging a book on its cover isn't a good thing... :-)

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  3. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

  4. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Michael B. Trausch on Saturday 01 November 2008 16:17 : \____
    >
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:06:02 -0400
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> It does look interesting. Thanks, Mike!

    >> I'll be interested in checking it out when it's included in the
    >> mainline kernel even in the staging area. I reserved some space to
    >> tinker with it to see what I think of it.
    >>
    >> Though, I think "butterfs" is probably not the best name in the world.
    >> Makes me think "butter fingers," which really isn't something I'd want
    >> to associate with a filesystem... but we'll see how it actually does.
    >> After all, judging a book on its cover isn't a good thing... :-)
    >>
    >> --- Mike

    > Reiserfs is toast,

    Nope
    It is still the best choice if you have lots of relativly small files

    > pass over the butterfs.

    Why? Is there anything wrong with EXT3?
    And since EXT4 is easily outperforming EXT3,XFS and BTRFS, I would use that
    one instead
    --
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
    rearranging their prejudices. -- William James

  5. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Reiserfs is toast,

    > Nope
    > It is still the best choice if you have lots of relativly small files
    >
    >> pass over the butterfs.

    > Why? Is there anything wrong with EXT3?
    > And since EXT4 is easily outperforming EXT3,XFS and BTRFS, I would use that
    > one instead

    Still, I give Roy some credit for the pun.

    Anyway, nice to know that the *choices* available in OSS can also sometimes
    be saviors.

    Even if reiserfs dries up and blows away, Linux filesystems move onward.

    --
    God gives us relatives; thank goodness we can chose our friends.

  6. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:35:07 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Michael B. Trausch on Saturday 01 November 2008 16:17 : \____
    >
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:06:02 -0400
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> It does look interesting. Thanks, Mike!

    >> I'll be interested in checking it out when it's included in the
    >> mainline kernel even in the staging area. I reserved some space to
    >> tinker with it to see what I think of it.
    >>
    >> Though, I think "butterfs" is probably not the best name in the world.
    >> Makes me think "butter fingers," which really isn't something I'd want
    >> to associate with a filesystem... but we'll see how it actually does.
    >> After all, judging a book on its cover isn't a good thing... :-)
    >>
    >> --- Mike

    > Reiserfs is toast, pass over the butterfs.

    So much for the Linux community picking up the development of important
    projects, or any project for that matter, when the author loses interest.

    You guys in the Linux community are nothing but a collection of hypocrites.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:21:49 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Still, I give Roy some credit for the pun.

    Did Schestowitz give you a doggy drop for that one?

    Heel LiarMutt!
    Heel!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 01 November 2008 23:34 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  9. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> Even if reiserfs dries up and blows away, Linux filesystems move onward.

    > I've been meaning to ask if you are related to the Ahlstrom of the DEC days?
    > IIRC he wrote a few DEC manuals.

    My Gawd, dere's a lot o' Ahlströms out there. No relation, as far as I
    know, though my computer experience from high-school through graduate school
    was primarily with DEC systems.

    Found a cool Ahlstrom logo:

    http://www.nonwovens-industry.com/images/bg/5614

    I remember when my daughter went to Denmark and Sweden for a soccer tour.
    Our name is very common there. (She also came home with some "interesting"
    instructional comics on condom usage, which got a lot of giggles out of her
    fellow 11-year-olds).

    Funny:

    http://www.nonwovens-industry.com/bg/company/Ahlstrom

    Ahlstrom Sees Strong Organic Growth
    Ahlstrom To Downsize Plant
    Ahlstrom Names CEO
    Ahlstrom Revises Outlook
    Ahlstrom Increases Filter Prices
    Ahlstrom Splits Nonwovens Business
    NSC Supplies European Line For Ahlstrom
    Ahlstrom Adds To Wallcovering Range
    Ahlstrom Broadens Operations In Russia
    Ahlstrom Sees Solid Sales Growth
    Fiberweb Sells Brazilian Bidim
    Ahlstrom Buys New Line
    Ahlstrom Adds to Filtration Offerings
    Ahlstrom Reorganizes Corporate Team
    Ahlstrom CEO Steps Down
    Ahlstrom Shows Growth In 2007
    Ahlstrom Restructuring Continues
    Ahlstrom to Invest in India, Italy, U.S.
    Ahlstrom Develops Odor-Eliminating Technology
    Ahlstrom To Consolidate Plants
    Ahlstrom Raises Food Packaging Prices
    Ahlstrom Dedicates New Spunlace Line In Green Bay
    Price Increase For Ahlstrom
    Ahlstrom To Add Spunlace Line In Brazil
    Ahlstrom To Purchase Chinese Company
    Ahlstrom To Keep Thermalbond Business Active
    Ahlstrom Announces Q2 Financial Results
    Ahlstrom Completes French Expansion
    Ahlstrom To Close Old Lantor Site
    Ahlstrom Investment Targets Dust Filtration
    Ahlstrom To Buy Property In India
    Acquisitions To Spur Sales Growth For Ahlstrom
    Ahlstrom Buys Fiberweb's Consumer Wipes Business

    But enough about me .

    --
    Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor:
    People are always available for work in the past tense.

  10. Re: BTRFS (butterfs)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 01 November 2008 23:34 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> ____/ Michael B. Trausch on Saturday 01 November 2008 16:17 : \____

    >>> Reiserfs is toast,

    >> Nope
    >> It is still the best choice if you have lots of relativly small files
    >>
    >>> pass over the butterfs.

    >> Why? Is there anything wrong with EXT3?
    >> And since EXT4 is easily outperforming EXT3,XFS and BTRFS, I would use that
    >> one instead

    > I was only joking (toast and butter). Reiserfs is actually still maintained.

    I still use Reiser for my /var/spool partition, it's good for the news
    server...