Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008. - Linux

This is a discussion on Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008. - Linux ; ngstats.pl version 1.30 Written by Roy Culley. Contributions from Mark Kent. Modifications by Homer, 2007 - 2008. This report covers 892 articles received by this system to newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy [1] ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Toplist of Posters Pos Poster Msgs Bytes Quoted 1. ...

  1. Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    ngstats.pl version 1.30

    Written by Roy Culley.
    Contributions from Mark Kent.
    Modifications by Homer, 2007 - 2008.

    This report covers 892 articles received by this system to
    newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy [1]
    Toplist of Posters

    Pos Poster Msgs Bytes Quoted
    1. Roy Schestowitz 327 1222617 3%
    2. Terry Porter 92 127025 48%
    3. Chris Ahlstrom 87 78728 62%
    4. Peter Köhlmann 42 68466 70%
    5. chrisv 31 15545 61%
    6. Phil Da Lick! 7. 7 27 19948 38%
    8. Richard Rasker 24 57451 34%
    9. High Plains Thumper 10. Gregory Shearman 21 30200 57%
    11. nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu 12. Homer 14 28888 11%
    Sinister Midget 14 15921 58%
    14. LusoTec 12 23290 56%
    15. TomB 11 9535 68%
    ray 11 7053 72%
    JEDIDIAH 11 12924 66%
    18. Matt 10 11333 70%
    AZ Nomad 10 9991 71%
    20. Kelsey Bjarnason 9 10739 27%
    21. invalid@example.com 8 5792 59%
    Robin T Cox 8 17507 72%
    23. Ian Hilliard 5 7782 48%
    24. William Poaster 4 10829 87%
    ml2mst 4 3618 42%
    26. Mart van de Wege 3 2502 37%
    Stephan Rose 3 16101 81%
    me@privacy.net 3 2293 73%
    29. Mark Kent 2 2353 66%
    Jesse Dorland 2 2443 81%
    Toplist of Subjects

    Pos Subject Msgs Bytes
    1. Linux can use 8GB RAM, what's the problem with Vis 65 91733
    2. Microsoft's drug dealer tactics 40 56425
    3. Asus Eee PC in my little town 31 30797
    4. Why Software Patents Are Bad and How TiVo Exploits 23 22157
    5. [News] New worm feeds on latest Microsoft bug 22 42764
    6. Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're 18 47201
    10 reasons why should one use linux 18 22791
    [News]Linux to Ship on More Desktops than Windows 18 29383
    9. A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux 17 25862
    10. Just upgraded to Gimp 2.6.1 and Open Office 3.0.0 16 9357
    Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier? 16 16752
    12. File Management 14 14418
    13. OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs 13 28278
    In this week's episode of "Put Up or Shut Up" ... 13 19429
    15. Easily change Linux flavor on your EeePC Netbook 10 12894
    Linux and Fwbuilder, essential tools for smart net 10 11052
    [News] Hard to Find Anything That Does Not Run Lin 10 13589
    18. German Foreign Ministry migrating all 11.000 deskt 9 9993
    [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Co 9 16672
    Windows 7 is no real improvement over Vista 9 6171
    21. [News] New Guide to GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks 8 17469
    22. Linux makes remote administration easy! 7 6280
    Now all this is not helpful to Linux advocacy (lon 7 20607
    24. Wintrolls are a laugh a minute! 6 4856
    [News] Germany: 'Cost of Open Source desktop maint 6 5736
    [News] Microsoft closes the quarter with less cash 6 8770
    [News] Microsoft Office Embraces The Browser (Than 6 5859
    [News] Microsoft faces second 'black screen' lawsu 6 6478
    Microsoft patents censorship bot 6 6595
    30. LAYOFFS at Microsoft 5 7274
    Toplist of Most Replied To Posters

    Pos Poster Msgs
    1. Terry Porter 51
    2. Roy Schestowitz 42
    3. Chris Ahlstrom 40
    4. Peter Köhlmann 20
    5. nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu 19
    6. Phil Da Lick! 17
    7. LusoTec 11
    Gregory Shearman 11
    9. TomB 10
    Matt 10
    chrisv 10
    Richard Rasker 10
    13. Homer 6
    7 6
    High Plains Thumper 6
    16. AZ Nomad 5
    ml2mst 5
    Tony(UK) 5
    19. Ian Hilliard 4
    ray 4
    invalid@example.com 4
    Kelsey Bjarnason 4
    Sinister Midget 4
    24. Robin T Cox 3
    25. Darth Chaos 2
    Mart van de Wege 2
    Stephan Rose 2
    philicorda 2
    Christopher Hunter 2
    Ron House 2
    Toplist of 'Quality' Posters [2]

    Pos Poster Index
    1. Roy Schestowitz 145
    2. Homer 74
    3. Terry Porter 73
    4. nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu 71
    5. 7 70
    Chris Ahlstrom 70
    Richard Rasker 70
    8. Kelsey Bjarnason 69
    9. High Plains Thumper 68
    10. chrisv 65
    11. Peter Köhlmann 63
    Sinister Midget 63
    Gregory Shearman 63
    14. Phil Da Lick! 62
    15. LusoTec 61
    JEDIDIAH 61
    invalid@example.com 61
    18. TomB 58
    AZ Nomad 58
    Robin T Cox 58
    ray 58
    22. Matt 55
    Toplist of Newsreaders

    Pos Newsreader Msgs
    1. KNode 452
    2. slrn 157
    3. Pan 127
    4. Thunderbird 85
    5. Forte Agent 27
    6. G2/1.0 24
    7. Gnus 3
    8. Mozilla 1
    tin 1
    COLA Stats Engine 1
    [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft
    threads will be dropped, depending on their severity, and
    hence not included in the stats, which are provided by me
    as a measure of advocacy, not as a means of spreading the
    Trolls' lies and malice even further.
    [2]: The poster 'quality' stats is based on:
    a) quoting: 100 - %'age quoted
    b) cross-posting: 100 - %'age cross-posted
    c) number of direct followups posters articles get
    d) troll feeding: 100 - 2.0 * %'age troll followups
    e) 75 deducted for known trolls
    f) for the humour impaired the quotes around 'quality'
    are intended to convey they are not to be taken too
    seriously :-)

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    07:40:29 up 21 days, 17:36, 3 users, load average: 0.61, 0.18, 0.08

  2. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    Homer wrote:

    > [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft
    > threads will be dropped, depending on their severity, and
    > hence not included in the stats, which are provided by me as a
    > measure of advocacy, not as a means of spreading the Trolls'
    > lies and malice even further.

    Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    group, you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls
    would be moderated out. :-)

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  3. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft
    >> threads will be dropped, depending on their severity, and hence not
    >> included in the stats, which are provided by me as a
    >> measure of advocacy, not as a means of spreading the Trolls'
    >> lies and malice even further.

    > Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group,
    > you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls would be
    > moderated out. :-)

    You like pissing in the wind, huh?

  4. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft
    >> threads will be dropped, depending on their severity, and
    >> hence not included in the stats, which are provided by me as a
    >> measure of advocacy, not as a means of spreading the Trolls'
    >> lies and malice even further.

    > Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    > group, you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls
    > would be moderated out. :-)

    So would all the reality and truth.

  5. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
    > Homer wrote:

    >> [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft
    >> threads will be dropped, depending on their severity, and hence not
    >> included in the stats, which are provided by me as a measure of
    >> advocacy, not as a means of spreading the Trolls' lies and malice
    >> even further.

    > Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group,
    > you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls would be
    > moderated out. :-)

    I'm not naive enough to think that a group like COLA won't attract
    Trolls, especially given Microsoft's documented intentions in that
    regard ("Evangelism is War!"). And as others have pointed out COLA
    is more like a bar than some private club ("Is this the right room
    for an argument?"), which serves as a honey pot to attract all the
    kooks and shills that would otherwise infest other Linux groups.

    That doesn't mean I have to read any of their putrid garbage tho',
    and it certainly doesn't mean I have to propagate it in the stats.

    As I've said before, I would no more consider including the Trolls
    crap in the stats than any other spam. It's not advocacy. Period.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    21:23:22 up 22 days, 7:19, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.08

  6. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    Clogwog (Rick Mathers) wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or
    >>> pro-Microsoft threads will be dropped, depending on their
    >>> severity, and hence not included in the stats, which are
    >>> provided by me as a measure of advocacy, not as a means of
    >>> spreading the Trolls' lies and malice even further.

    >> Just think Homer, if we had a
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group, you would not have
    >> to produce t[r]oll free stats. The trolls would be
    >> moderated out. :-)

    > It will [knip lamverontschuldiging voor een sleeplijn]

    Ah, I can already feel the peace and rest a moderated group would
    provide. Marty and Richard, do you not agree? :-)

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  7. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
    >
    >> Homer wrote:

    >>> [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or
    >>> pro-Microsoft threads will be dropped, depending on their
    >>> severity, and hence not included in the stats, which are
    >>> provided by me as a measure of advocacy, not as a means of
    >>> spreading the Trolls' lies and malice even further.

    >> Just think Homer, if we had a
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group, you would not have
    >> to produce t[r]oll free stats. The trolls would be
    >> moderated out. :-)

    > I'm not naive enough to think that a group like COLA[M] won't
    > attract Trolls, especially given Microsoft's documented
    > intentions in that regard ("Evangelism is War!"). And as
    > others have pointed out COLA is more like a bar than some
    > private club ("Is this the right room for an argument?"),
    > which serves as a honey pot to attract all the kooks and
    > shills that would otherwise infest other Linux groups.
    >
    > That doesn't mean I have to read any of their putrid garbage
    > tho', and it certainly doesn't mean I have to propagate it in
    > the stats.
    >
    > As I've said before, I would no more consider including the
    > Trolls crap in the stats than any other spam. It's not
    > advocacy. Period.

    Homer, of course it isn't. However, I have seen enough of:

    7.1 Disinformation

    If COLA were a physical location like a building where those
    who would advocate the growth of the Linux operating systems and
    the Linux community gather, the anti-Linux propagandists would be
    raiding that building. They would be vandalizing the building,
    painting graffiti on the walls, defecating and urinating on the
    floors and furniture, breaking down the doors, setting fire to
    the building and physically assaulting the resident Linux
    advocates and the visitors who happen to be in the building at
    the time of the raid.

    COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt
    their methods so that they can do an on-line version of what was
    described in the prior paragraph. A key method used by anti-Linux
    propagandist to attack Linux, its users, sysadmins, developers,
    advocates and those who have come to COLA to lean about Linux. is
    a form of propaganda known as disinformation. One of their
    favorite version of disinformation is known as FUD.
    I have seen it all in this group. The writer of this section in
    the FAQ hit the nail on the head of all the anti-Linux advocacy I
    have seen here.

    As far as bars go, this is more of a Blue Spruce Lizard Lounge in
    the dingiest part of the city than it is a Cheers [tm] TV show bar.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  8. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    DFS wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> [1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft
    >>> threads will be dropped, depending on their severity, and
    >>> hence not included in the stats, which are provided by me as a
    >>> measure of advocacy, not as a means of spreading the Trolls'
    >>> lies and malice even further.

    >> Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >> group, you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls
    >> would be moderated out. :-)

    > So would all the reality and truth.

    If you are moderated out (mo matter which group) reality, honesty and truth
    would rise several notches

  9. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    "Peter Khlmann" stated in post
    490ce832$0$31330$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 11/1/08 4:37 PM:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >>> group, you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls
    >>> would be moderated out. :-)

    >> So would all the reality and truth.

    > If you are moderated out (mo matter which group) reality, honesty and truth
    > would rise several notches

    You are applying rules that are true for you to others. Interesting.

    --
    One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

  10. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> Just think Homer, if we had a comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated
    >>> group, you would not have to produce toll free stats. The trolls
    >>> would be moderated out. :-)

    >> So would all the reality and truth.

    > If you are moderated out (mo matter which group) reality, honesty and truth
    > would rise several notches

    And the effect would be even greater because we'd not be wasting our time
    and energy getting pissed off at these raving idiots, and thus giving them
    the angry rash responses they so egg us on to give.

    --
    I owe the government $3400 in taxes. So I sent them two hammers and a
    toilet seat.

  11. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    Chris Ahlstrom espoused:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> So would all the reality and truth.

    >> If you are moderated out (mo matter which group) reality, honesty and truth
    >> would rise several notches

    > And the effect would be even greater because we'd not be wasting our time
    > and energy getting pissed off at these raving idiots, and thus giving them
    > the angry rash responses they so egg us on to give.

    It's a very high-traffic group - who would moderate it?

  12. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    High Plains Thumper espoused:
    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    >>> Just think Homer, if we had a
    >>> comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group, you would not have
    >>> to produce t[r]oll free stats. The trolls would be
    >>> moderated out. :-)

    >> I'm not naive enough to think that a group like COLA[M] won't
    >> attract Trolls, especially given Microsoft's documented
    >> intentions in that regard ("Evangelism is War!"). And as
    >> others have pointed out COLA is more like a bar than some
    >> private club ("Is this the right room for an argument?"),
    >> which serves as a honey pot to attract all the kooks and
    >> shills that would otherwise infest other Linux groups.
    >>
    >> That doesn't mean I have to read any of their putrid garbage
    >> tho', and it certainly doesn't mean I have to propagate it in
    >> the stats.
    >>
    >> As I've said before, I would no more consider including the
    >> Trolls crap in the stats than any other spam. It's not
    >> advocacy. Period.

    > Homer, of course it isn't. However, I have seen enough of:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > [quote]
    > 7.1 Disinformation

    The argument that cola protects the rest of the internet is fine in
    principle, but quite clearly, it doesn't work. Take a look at digg,
    slashdot, linux today, etc. etc. They're all infested with the same
    trolls which operate here, or variations thereof.

    We're dealing here with people with no morals, sociopathic people.
    Erik, Timmy, Bill Weisg, Gary Stewart etc. etc. have never had any
    intention of abiding by this group's charter and/or FAQ. This is what
    sociopaths do... they will do this whether cola exists or not, because
    it's in their nature to be so.

  13. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:47 : \____

    > High Plains Thumper espoused:
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    >>> I'm not naive enough to think that a group like COLA[M] won't
    >>> attract Trolls, especially given Microsoft's documented
    >>> intentions in that regard ("Evangelism is War!"). And as
    >>> others have pointed out COLA is more like a bar than some
    >>> private club ("Is this the right room for an argument?"),
    >>> which serves as a honey pot to attract all the kooks and
    >>> shills that would otherwise infest other Linux groups.
    >>>
    >>> That doesn't mean I have to read any of their putrid garbage
    >>> tho', and it certainly doesn't mean I have to propagate it in
    >>> the stats.
    >>>
    >>> As I've said before, I would no more consider including the
    >>> Trolls crap in the stats than any other spam. It's not
    >>> advocacy. Period.

    >> Homer, of course it isn't. However, I have seen enough of:
    >>
    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> 7.1 Disinformation
    >>

    > The argument that cola protects the rest of the internet is fine in
    > principle, but quite clearly, it doesn't work. Take a look at digg,
    > slashdot, linux today, etc. etc. They're all infested with the same
    > trolls which operate here, or variations thereof.
    >
    > We're dealing here with people with no morals, sociopathic people.
    > Erik, Timmy, Bill Weisg, Gary Stewart etc. etc. have never had any
    > intention of abiding by this group's charter and/or FAQ. This is what
    > sociopaths do... they will do this whether cola exists or not, because
    > it's in their nature to be so.

    If they get ejected from COLA, they'll harass other sites/forums (they already
    do this). Wasn't COLA created to keep those creatures away from technical NGs?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
    run-level 5 Oct 15 15:52 last=S

  14. Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:50:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:47 : \____
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    >>> Homer, of course it isn't. However, I have seen enough of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >>>
    >>> [quote]
    >>> 7.1 Disinformation
    >>>

    >> The argument that cola protects the rest of the internet is fine in
    >> principle, but quite clearly, it doesn't work. Take a look at digg,
    >> slashdot, linux today, etc. etc. They're all infested with the same
    >> trolls which operate here, or variations thereof.
    >>
    >> We're dealing here with people with no morals, sociopathic people.
    >> Erik, Timmy, Bill Weisg, Gary Stewart etc. etc. have never had any
    >> intention of abiding by this group's charter and/or FAQ. This is what
    >> sociopaths do... they will do this whether cola exists or not, because
    >> it's in their nature to be so.

    > If they get ejected from COLA, they'll harass other sites/forums (they already
    > do this). Wasn't COLA created to keep those creatures away from technical NGs?

    As Mark pointed out, they're *already* doing this.
    Smith, Quack, Flatfish & others are, or have been, *already* posting (or
    crossposting into) in tech groups (Ubuntu for one). So in some respects,
    COLA ain't working...
    Flatfish used his usual MO, too. All nice & friendly, then the usual crap
    began to creep in. Many quickly binned him.

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

+ Reply to Thread