[News] [Rival] Microsoft Bans Journalists Who Don't Love Microsoft - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bans Journalists Who Don't Love Microsoft

    Blacklisted by Microsoft!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Basically, they blacklisted me from certain super-secret (i.e.
    | pre-conference, NDA, off-the books) sessions at their Professional Developer
    | Conference (PDC) –- this after formally inviting me to attend those sessions
    | as an "esteemed reviewer" representing InfoWorld.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Oct. 9, 2008 -- A short while later, I get my first hit. It seems that the
    | whole mess started when the Windows Server team made the mistake of inviting
    | yours truly to an event hosted by the Windows Client team. Apparently, the
    | folks on the Server team were unaware of my decidedly negative views towards
    | Vista, and when the Client folks found out they had invited Randall C.
    | Kennedy -– a.k.a. Vista's most vocal and effective critic -– to their
    | special, "for fanbois only" (nice photos, Paul) shindig, they went ballistic.
    |
    | First, it appears that someone high up on the Client Team (Steve?) really
    | doesn't like me. I mean, really, truly loathes me. And it's not just your
    | run-of-the-mill frustration with a journalist who picks on them. This thing
    | is personal, and the executive in question is allowing his or her personal
    | feelings to spill over into the company's handling of formal press relations
    | with InfoWorld.
    |
    | But it doesn't stop there. The "official" explanation for my blacklisting and
    | subsequent "dis-invitation" is that I somehow "violated the non-disclosure
    | agreement" for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta by publishing benchmark
    | results before the update was released.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...listed_by.html

    Related:

    INQhack survives Vistability test in Volesville

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Vole (Microsoft) supposedly invited The INQ over for tea because
    | we are notorious "Microsoft doubters" - and we were accompanied by
    | other supposed Vole doubters such as the folk from lifehacker and
    | a very nice man from Slashdot, as well as some Microsoft MvPs.
    `----

    Microsoft desperately wants my love -- and yours

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I spent December seventh, eighth, and ninth in Seattle as Microsoft's
    | guest. Microsoft flew me there from Florida at its expense, put me up
    | in a nice hotel, provided decent food, and comped me and four other
    | invitees to this "special conference" with presentations about the
    | marvels of Vista and other recent or upcoming Microsoft products. They
    | didn't quite play the old Beatles song "Love Me Do" in the background,
    | but it was the event's unstated theme.
    `----

    Bribing Bloggers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
    | bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
    | of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
    | behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
    | Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
    | Premium Ultra-Capable.
    `----

    Microsoft's Laptop Giveaway Becoming PR Disaster?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This thing is starting to feel like a PR disaster. Bloggers are
    | starting to smell blood and this thing very well may begin to
    | turn into yet another episode of bloggers gone wild.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...4_id.html?.v=1

    Bribing Bloggers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
    | things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
    | you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
    | better things about us.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

    Getting a Vaio [with Vista, from Microsoft, even in March 2007]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Belgium rang me yesterday (I don?t think they realised it
    | was a public holiday here!).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The phone call yesterday was to confirm my address - the laptop (a
    | Sony Vaio - dunno which model or spec yet) is en route with Vista
    | Ultimate and Office Ultimate pre-installed.
    `----

    http://www.tomrafteryit.net/getting-a-vaio/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bans Journalists Who Don't Love Microsoft

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Blacklisted by Microsoft!
    >
    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...listed_by.html

    Duh-amn, Roy, ya posted that one just minutes ago!

    --
    Bachelor:
    A guy who is footloose and fiancee-free.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bans Journalists Who Don't Love Microsoft

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bans Journalists Who Don't Love Microsoft

    In article <4923887.vgxxzF5krq@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Saturday 01 November 2008 00:50 : \____
    >
    > > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > > this bit o' wisdom:
    > >
    > >> Blacklisted by Microsoft!
    > >>

    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...blacklisted_by.
    > html
    > >
    > > Duh-amn, Roy, ya posted that one just minutes ago!

    > Yes, deep inside a thread. It's too good to be missed.

    How does this fit in with the numerous times you've said that open
    source events should not be inviting pro-Microsoft people?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bans Journalists Who Don't Love Microsoft

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:45:52 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <4923887.vgxxzF5krq@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Saturday 01 November 2008 00:50 : \____
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...blacklisted_by.
    >> html
    >>>
    >>> Duh-amn, Roy, ya posted that one just minutes ago!

    >> Yes, deep inside a thread. It's too good to be missed.

    > How does this fit in with the numerous times you've said that open
    > source events should not be inviting pro-Microsoft people?

    About the same way Roy claims to use Windows, used Windows recently or
    hasn't used Windows in many years, depending upon where you look.

    IOW he alters his story line to fit the situation.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread