[News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2 - Linux

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft Corp., engrossed in multi-million dollar marketing blitz to counter
    >| anti-Vista propaganda from rival Apple, Inc., is now using a portion of its
    >| budget to fuel guerilla retail tactics near the Mac maker's stores.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ple_store.html

    AppleInsider reader Tom submits the following photo, which shows a large
    Microsoft-branded kiosk parked outside a shopping center-based Apple
    retail store.

    "It's a friggin booth where you can record your own I'm a PC video," he
    said. "This is outside the Apple Store, Bullring, Birmingham, England."
    He added that a trio of Microsoft staffers will be on hand to turn
    patrons off from the Mac for the next three days.

    > Recent:
    >
    > Microsoft is on the Attack ? Slams VMware for Being Too Expensive!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In honor on VMware?s once a year virtualization bash Microsoft brought up a
    >| new web site where they basically slam VMware for being, what they call, too
    >| expensive, http://www.vmwarecostswaytoomuch.com/
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=8621

    I would assume that applies only to commerical usage?

    > Related:
    >
    > Microsoft Unveils New Linux Hate Site
    >
    >| An alt tag for a header image still reads "alt="Get the Facts""
    >
    > http://www.ivirtuaforums.com/microso...te-t10783.html

    I'll bet the author is just trolling for hits for the Windows Server
    "Compare" site.

    Anyway, if you check out their comparison to "Linux", they're really
    comparing to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

    I'm sure it is a two-sided, unbiased story we get from Microsoft there.

    (Does anybody with real decision-making power bother with sites like this?)

    --
    Seattle is so wet that people protect their property with watch-ducks.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Saturday 01 November 2008 00:59 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft Corp., engrossed in multi-million dollar marketing blitz to
    >>| counter anti-Vista propaganda from rival Apple, Inc., is now using a
    >>| portion of its budget to fuel guerilla retail tactics near the Mac maker's
    >>| stores.
    >> `----

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ple_store.html

    > AppleInsider reader Tom submits the following photo, which shows a large
    > Microsoft-branded kiosk parked outside a shopping center-based Apple
    > retail store.
    >
    > "It's a friggin booth where you can record your own I'm a PC video," he
    > said. "This is outside the Apple Store, Bullring, Birmingham, England."
    > He added that a trio of Microsoft staffers will be on hand to turn
    > patrons off from the Mac for the next three days.
    >
    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Microsoft is on the Attack ? Slams VMware for Being Too Expensive!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| In honor on VMware?s once a year virtualization bash Microsoft brought up a
    >>| new web site where they basically slam VMware for being, what they call,
    >>| too expensive, http://www.vmwarecostswaytoomuch.com/
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=8621

    > I would assume that applies only to commerical usage?

    That's what they addressed there. They also invaded the VMware conference to
    hand out anti-VMware cards. It's like Microsoft's sabotage of PS3 launch
    parties.

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Unveils New Linux Hate Site
    >>
    >>| An alt tag for a header image still reads "alt="Get the Facts""

    http://www.ivirtuaforums.com/microso...te-t10783.html

    > I'll bet the author is just trolling for hits for the Windows Server
    > "Compare" site.
    >
    > Anyway, if you check out their comparison to "Linux", they're really
    > comparing to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
    >
    > I'm sure it is a two-sided, unbiased story we get from Microsoft there.
    >
    > (Does anybody with real decision-making power bother with sites like this?)

    It used to be a more direct anti-Linux page. They realised that it was bad for
    business. Later on they created the Linux Persona site (ad hominem) and tore
    it down quickly.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate
    01:05:01 up 16 days, 9:23, 1 user, load average: 2.19, 2.13, 2.75

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    In article <1374531.VNVUc8lZ0h@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._a_pc_recordin
    > g_booth_outside_apple_store.html
    > >
    > > AppleInsider reader Tom submits the following photo, which shows a large
    > > Microsoft-branded kiosk parked outside a shopping center-based Apple
    > > retail store.
    > >
    > > "It's a friggin booth where you can record your own I'm a PC video," he
    > > said. "This is outside the Apple Store, Bullring, Birmingham, England."
    > > He added that a trio of Microsoft staffers will be on hand to turn
    > > patrons off from the Mac for the next three days.

    So, they put a booth near an Apple store.

    > That's what they addressed there. They also invaded the VMware conference to
    > hand out anti-VMware cards. It's like Microsoft's sabotage of PS3 launch
    > parties.

    They did not "sabotage" PS3 launch parties. At one location, they gave
    out free chairs to the people waiting for the launch event. At another,
    which involved Sony selling PS3's out of a boat on a river, Microsoft
    had a boat nearby.

    Apparently, you consider holding events near a rival to be unfair.
    Would you be happier if they used free software tactics, and actually
    went *into* the Apple store and hogged the store's resources, so Apple
    customers were denied service, like the FSF did, when it wanted to
    protest Apple?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <1374531.VNVUc8lZ0h@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._a_pc_recordin
    >> g_booth_outside_apple_store.html
    >>>
    >>> AppleInsider reader Tom submits the following photo, which shows
    >>> a large Microsoft-branded kiosk parked outside a shopping
    >>> center-based Apple retail store.
    >>>
    >>> "It's a friggin booth where you can record your own I'm a PC
    >>> video," he said. "This is outside the Apple Store, Bullring,
    >>> Birmingham, England." He added that a trio of Microsoft staffers
    >>> will be on hand to turn patrons off from the Mac for the next
    >>> three days.

    > So, they put a booth near an Apple store.

    >> That's what they addressed there. They also invaded the VMware
    >> conference to hand out anti-VMware cards. It's like Microsoft's
    >> sabotage of PS3 launch parties.

    > They did not "sabotage" PS3 launch parties. At one location, they
    > gave out free chairs to the people waiting for the launch event. At
    > another, which involved Sony selling PS3's out of a boat on a river,
    > Microsoft had a boat nearby.
    >
    > Apparently, you consider holding events near a rival to be unfair.
    > Would you be happier if they used free software tactics, and actually
    > went *into* the Apple store and hogged the store's resources, so Apple
    > customers were denied service, like the FSF did, when it wanted to
    > protest Apple?

    http://www.defectivebydesign.org/apple-challenge

    It's only unfair if MS does it. When it's FSF lusers doing the invasion,
    it's a "civil rights movement".

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft Corp., engrossed in multi-million dollar marketing blitz to
    > | counter anti-Vista propaganda from rival Apple, Inc., is now using a
    > | portion of its budget to fuel guerilla retail tactics near the Mac
    > | maker's stores.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/31

    microsoft_parks_im_a_pc_recording_booth_outside_ap ple_store.html

    Somebody should have painted a message on the back of this booth
    "Micoshaft Bum Boy Booth"

    Lets face it, its factual; and only dedicated moronic truly insane
    micoshaft bum boys would be found inside that booth.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Apparently, you consider holding events near a rival to be unfair.
    > Would you be happier if they used free software tactics, and actually
    > went *into* the Apple store and hogged the store's resources, so Apple
    > customers were denied service, like the FSF did, when it wanted to
    > protest Apple?

    To protest Apple's DRM.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10000290-16.html

    July 26, 2008 8:03 AM PDT
    FSF launches a denial-of-service attack on Apple's Genius Bars

    At OSCON this year, MySQL's Brian Aker made this bold statement:

    Microsoft is irrelevant....We're more worried about Apple.

    . . .

    Perhaps this is why the Free Software Foundation, which wants to protect
    everyone's freedom (except, oddly, on the web), has gone on another
    Quixotic campaign to save the world from Apple's DRM (Digital Rights
    Management) by clogging its Genius Bars with freedom-loving
    developers asking questions about freedom and then logging Apple's
    non-free responses.

    Not exactly what I would call an issue between "rivals".

    Who's side are you on?
    Who's side are you on?

    --
    Micro Credo:
    Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:10:49 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article <1374531.VNVUc8lZ0h@schestowitz.com>,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._a_pc_recordin
    >>> g_booth_outside_apple_store.html

    >> So, they put a booth near an Apple store.

    >>> That's what they addressed there. They also invaded the VMware
    >>> conference to hand out anti-VMware cards. It's like Microsoft's
    >>> sabotage of PS3 launch parties.

    >> They did not "sabotage" PS3 launch parties. At one location, they
    >> gave out free chairs to the people waiting for the launch event. At
    >> another, which involved Sony selling PS3's out of a boat on a river,
    >> Microsoft had a boat nearby.
    >>
    >> Apparently, you consider holding events near a rival to be unfair.
    >> Would you be happier if they used free software tactics, and actually
    >> went *into* the Apple store and hogged the store's resources, so Apple
    >> customers were denied service, like the FSF did, when it wanted to
    >> protest Apple?

    > http://www.defectivebydesign.org/apple-challenge
    >
    > It's only unfair if MS does it. When it's FSF lusers doing the invasion,
    > it's a "civil rights movement".

    They look like a bunch of idiots anyway.
    I actually ran into this protest first hand.
    I'm even in one of the pictures. I'm not the one with the sandwaich sign
    BTW.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/sets/1485493/

    I agree with their cause however, these people are on a totally different
    planet than the rest of us and in fact appear to the average citizen as a
    collection of nuts right out of Bellevue.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:10:49 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >> It's only unfair if MS does it. When it's FSF lusers doing the
    >> invasion, it's a "civil rights movement".

    > They look like a bunch of idiots anyway.
    > I actually ran into this protest first hand.
    > I'm even in one of the pictures. I'm not the one with the sandwaich
    > sign BTW.

    Which one is you, Moshe?!!

    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/sets/1485493/

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:55:52 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:10:49 -0500, DFS wrote:

    >>> It's only unfair if MS does it. When it's FSF lusers doing the
    >>> invasion, it's a "civil rights movement".

    >> They look like a bunch of idiots anyway.
    >> I actually ran into this protest first hand.
    >> I'm even in one of the pictures. I'm not the one with the sandwaich
    >> sign BTW.

    > Which one is you, Moshe?!!
    >

    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/sets/1485493/

    Hahaha!
    I'll never tell, but it was quite an interesting evening.
    Like I said, I just stumbled on it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Invades Apple Territories to Promote ME2

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:55:52 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> They look like a bunch of idiots anyway.
    >>> I actually ran into this protest first hand.
    >>> I'm even in one of the pictures. I'm not the one with the sandwaich
    >>> sign BTW.

    >> Which one is you, Moshe?!!
    >>

    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/sets/1485493/

    > Hahaha!
    > I'll never tell,

    Male or female? Be honest!

    > but it was quite an interesting evening.
    > Like I said, I just stumbled on it.

+ Reply to Thread