Google, Yahoo Ad Deal Unlikely

,----[ Quote ]
| Google and Yahoo may abandon their planned search advertising deal as early
| as next week.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...-deal-unlikely

Google! Yahoo! looking! doubtful!

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is considering walking away from its advertising deal with Yahoo!
| because the Department of Justice is demanding too much in return.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...stions_remain/

Recent:

Yahoo joins Google in defending ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here's the bottom line," Decker wrote late last week. "Yahoo will use this
| agreement to help us become a stronger competitor in all aspects of online
| advertising; and Yahoo is not exiting the sponsored search business. We plan
| to remain a strong player in sponsored search."
|
| [...]
|
| Early on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that
| the deal gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic
| that derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just
| plain wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is
| non-exclusive and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and
| when we see fit. The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a
| more typical exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic
| commitments to Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are
| raising."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20

Google and Yahoo Agree to Delay Ad Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Google and Yahoo have agreed to a “brief” delay in the planned start of their
| search advertising partnership to give the Justice Department additional time
| to investigate the antitrust implications of the deal, the companies said
| Friday.
|
| “The companies have agreed to a brief delay in implementing this agreement to
| continue our ongoing discussions with the Department of Justice,” Yahoo said
| in a statement. “We have had discussions with regulators and look forward to
| responding to their questions about this agreement.”
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/1...delay-ad-deal/

Google-Yahoo Deal Needs Oversight, Senator Says

,----[ Quote ]
| "Recognizing the nascent and fast-changing nature of this marketplace, we
| encourage the department to continue to monitor the state of competition in
| this industry, whatever the outcome of its current investigation," Kohl wrote
| in his letter. "If, over time, you determine that Google is gaining a
| dominant market position as a result of the Google-Yahoo agreement, then we
| would encourage the Justice Department to intervene to protect competition.
| Even should you conclude at present that this deal is not contrary to
| antitrust law, the department must be sure that this deal never in the future
| crosses the line into an unacceptable, anti-competitive collaboration among
| competitors which will harm consumers and advertisers."
`----

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...its.4306016.jp

,----[ Quote ]
| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

Live Searches Drop Below 1 Billion

,----[ Quote ]
| August U.S. search share data shows ugly declines for Microsoft in 2008.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...1_billion.html

Icahn takes his seat at Yahoo table

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo's reconstituted board is expected to meet for the first time tomorrow,
| with activist member Carl Icahn committed to renewing the pressure for a deal
| with Microsoft.
|
| Mr Icahn, the billionaire investor, and two allies were elected after Yahoo's
| annual meeting on August 1 in a deal that ended a proxy fight he had led to
| unseat the board.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2d6e4456-8...nclick_check=1

The Secret Microsoft Invasion of Yahoo Continues: MSN GM Headed There Soon?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Dossett, a longtime Microsoft exec whose most current job has been as
| executive producer and general manager of MSN, is leaving the company,
| sources said, and is likely to land at Yahoo soon.
|
| A longtime and experienced mountain climber, Dossett (pictured here) has been
| one of the more senior digital execs at Microsoft.
|
| The reason given for Dossett’s departure from Microsoft (MSFT), announced
| internally this afternoon, was to “pursue other opportunities.”
|
| While the hire is not yet complete, that apparently means that he is likely
| going to rival and onetime Microsoft quarry Yahoo as a senior exec.
`----

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080919/...aded-to-yahoo/

Google Blames Microsoft for Yahoo! Deal Controversy

,----[ Quote ]
| Schmidt thinks that rival Microsoft is largely to blame for the amount of
| controversy the deal has attracted. "I am quite sure that Microsoft is
| helping everyone get upset about things," he said.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...al-controversy

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]
| Only if they're planting in AstroTurf
|
| [...]
|
| How do you know the organization, and the op-ed, weren't created by LawMedia
| Group at the behest of some well-funded clients? If they did their jobs
| right, you don't know.
|
| Some of them have left digital fingerprints here and there, though, says
| Declan McCullagh, in a blockbuster of a report exposing the intellectual
| whoredom offered for various important issues. Shortly after Microsoft hired
| LawMedia, for example, legislators, national agencies, and news outlets
| received pointed complaints from coalitions of farmers, rural voters, and
| geeky Latinos about how Google's advertising deal with Yahoo would wreck
| everything.
|
| [...]
|
| Don't call them a PR firm or a lobbying firm though, Law Media – which has a
| ton of lawyers working for them too—is a "public affairs firm" specializing
| in producing "remarkable coalitions" for anything one might need a coalition
| for.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...against-google

Google/Yahoo web ad deal on track despite anti-trust scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Google says its web advertising deal with Yahoo is on schedule and will not
| be derailed by US anti-trust scrutiny.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...anti-trust.htm

Icahn and Microsoft to oust Yahoo board

,----[ Quote ]
| CORPORATE RAIDER Carl Icahn and convicted monopolist Microsoft have asked
| Yahoo shareholders to vote out Yahoo's board and install Icahn's proposed
| slate of replacements.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...eam-oust-yahoo

Microsoft cops to talking with Icahn on Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Dispensing with its previous above-the-fray posture, Microsoft has
| admitted -conspiring with- talking to activist Yahoo shareholder Carl Icahn,
| who is trying to oust the Internet company's board and Chief Executive Jerry
| Yang for failing to sell out to the software giant.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...oft-talki.html

Yahoo: Icahn “Manipulates The Facts”

,----[ Quote ]
| The company also says it is “patently untrue” that the company turned down an
| offer of $40 a share from Microsoft and sabotaged the later offer of $33. The
| letter contends that Yahoo’s board “has at all times been focused on
| maximizing shareholder value.”
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...lenews_barrons
http://tinyurl.com/64nvv5

Microsoft-Yahoo Deal Still Makes Sense, Ballmer Says (Update2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer said a deal with Yahoo!
| Inc. may still make economic sense for shareholders of both companies,
| pushing Yahoo stock up as much as 17 percent.
|
| [...]
|
| Yahoo spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler didn't immediately return calls seeking
| about Ballmer's remarks today. Microsoft spokesman Frank Shaw had no
| immediate comment.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...LvI&refer=home

Microsoft: 'No Interest' in Pursuing Yahoo Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said Thursday it is not pursuing an acquisition of Yahoo, despite
| public comments by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday suggesting a deal
| between the two companies might still be on the table.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152355/.html?tk=rss_news

Microsoft loves Yahoo, Microsoft hates Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...t-hates-yahoo/