[News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Volante Systems POS & Restaurant Back Office Software: Serving Up Profits on
    Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [M]aybe it's during tough times such as these that it makes the most sense
    | to invest in a modern, efficient and flexible Linux POS and restaurant back
    | office software solution.
    `----

    http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10968.html

    McDonald's and Nando's are listed below as well.

    Recent:

    POS systems run uClinux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ExaDigm announced that it is ramping up production on a new line of
    | Linux-based point-of-sale (POS) terminals. The modular, PC-based terminals
    | are based on the NeoMagic MiMagic applications processor, and ship with a
    | Linux software development kit (SDK) says ExaDigm. ┬*
    `----

    Linux-based POS system ships

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux grew 32 percent year-over-year, according to figures released by IHL
    | Group. The research firm reckons Linux accounted for $475 million of the
    | $5.56 billion market, putting it third overall with an 8.5 percent market
    | share. More details can be found here. ┬*
    `----

    Related:

    Gemalto First Company to Receive EMV and American Express Certifications for
    its Linux-Based Payment Terminals in Italy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is platform, which incorporates the MagIC Open&Sec technology running on
    | Linux, is aimed at securing the open world with unrivalled power and
    | connectivityÔÇôMagIC┬│ is powered by two 32-bit microprocessors and features
    | Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices. In addition, its Ethernet connection
    | propels it into the Internet world. ┬* ┬*
    `----

    http://www.smartcardalliance.org/art...inals-in-italy
    http://tinyurl.com/39mczy

    Point-of-sale device runs Linux from flash

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the first POS (point-of-sale) equipment vendors to adopt Linux
    | will now become one of the first to offer solid-state storage. Wincor
    | Nixdorf's new X-Series, due in January, will be offered with an
    | Msystems mModule uDOC embedded flash disk.
    |
    | A 30 year veteran of the retail equipment market, Wincor Nixdorf
    | began offering POS devices based on Red Hat Linux in the year 2000.
    | The company's Linux-based "Beetle" POS device (early versions pictured
    | above and at left) soon attracted some high-volume customers, including
    | Home Depot and the Papa John's pizza chain.
    `----

    Wireless POS (Point of Sale) For Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Research has shown that the number of POS (point of sale) terminals
    | running Linux in North America has increased 80% since 2002. For
    | hospitality providers, there?s good reason to go with Linux.
    `----

    http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=204

    McDonald's pilots Linux-based electronic signage

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fast-food chain McDonald's is reportedly piloting Linux-based
    | electronic signage at a location in Chicago. The Golden Arches at Archer
    | Rutherford is using content-managed digital signage for menu-board
    | promotion, dining- and play-room adver-tainment, and customer
    | information collection, according to an article at SelfService.org.
    `----

    Nando's goes Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nandos has 230 restaurants nationwide and each restaurant is required
    | to forward detailed information from their Point of Sale (PoS) system
    | directly to head office on a daily basis...
    `----

    http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/16/11605.html

  2. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Volante Systems POS & Restaurant Back Office Software: Serving Up Profits on
    > Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| [M]aybe it's during tough times such as these that it makes the most sense
    >| to invest in a modern, efficient and flexible Linux POS and restaurant back
    >| office software solution.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10968.html
    >
    > McDonald's and Nando's are listed below as well.

    Wasn't McDonald's on SCO systems?

    --
    Old men are fond of giving good advice to console themselves for their
    inability to set a bad example.

  3. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

  4. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Wasn't McDonald's on SCO systems?

    > Yes, it was. I read that somewhere as well. It seems to have upgraded.
    >
    > McDonald's pilots Linux-based electronic signage

    http://www.sco.com/5reasons/

    Case Study: McDonald's

    "The everyday business of a McDonald's restaurant requires a stable
    operating system that can give round-the-clock performance," said John
    Doty, Director of US Information Technology for McDonald's Corporation's
    Store Systems. "We are very pleased with the performance of SCO UNIX.
    SCO's platform has provided us with a very stable and reliable system.
    SCO UNIX has been a dependable platform for thousands of McDonald's
    restaurants over the past 10 years and we're looking forward to migrating
    our restaurants to the current version."

    Then again:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....b64d91b3ead3fa

    Jun 11 2004, 7:26 am
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    From: FyRE
    Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:26:02 +0100
    Subject: Mc Donalds dumps SCO

    http://www.novell.com/news/leadstories/2004/jun7/

    Couldn't help grinning at this announcement. SCO's biggest (maybe
    only?) remaining customer dropping them like a bad habit in
    favour of a modern operating system.

    Of course, Novell's link is broken.

    That poster had a funny sig, too:

    "War: The way Americans learn geography"

    --
    Ummm, well, OK. The network's the network, the computer's the computer.
    Sorry for the confusion.

  5. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-03, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't count on it. You can eat plenty healthy at McDonald's if you want,
    >> but they've done quite well for decades with their core junk: burgers and
    >> fries and soda.

    > Let's see...
    >
    > Fried food.
    > Deep fried food.
    > High fat meats.
    > Breaded meats.
    > Deep fried starchy vegetables.
    > White bread.
    > No green vegetables to speak of.
    > No fiber to speak of.
    > Cheese with unecessary transfat.
    >
    > Perhaps you were confused and thinking of Wendys.

    I remember getting a nice salad at Mickie D's, then looking at the salad
    dressing package. Oy! It was almost as fatty as a big Mac!

    --
    The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words
    return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.

  6. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Let's see...
    >>
    >> Fried food.
    >> Deep fried food.
    >> High fat meats.
    >> Breaded meats.
    >> Deep fried starchy vegetables.
    >> White bread.
    >> No green vegetables to speak of.
    >> No fiber to speak of.
    >> Cheese with unecessary transfat.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you were confused and thinking of Wendys.

    > More likely you are confused. Take a look at the McDonalds menu some day
    > beyond their traditional (and still extremely popular) burgers and fries.
    > They've had salads for several years and have various low fat grilled
    > chicken sandwiches as well.

    Damn, Granny! I'm hungry!

    --
    "And remember: Evil will always prevail, because Good is dumb."
    -- Spaceballs

  7. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    newsvLPk.56818$rD2.12220@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-03, DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Don't count on it. You can eat plenty healthy at McDonald's if you
    >>> want,
    >>> but they've done quite well for decades with their core junk: burgers
    >>> and
    >>> fries and soda.

    >> Let's see...
    >>
    >> Fried food.
    >> Deep fried food.
    >> High fat meats.
    >> Breaded meats.
    >> Deep fried starchy vegetables.
    >> White bread.
    >> No green vegetables to speak of.
    >> No fiber to speak of.
    >> Cheese with unecessary transfat.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you were confused and thinking of Wendys.

    > I remember getting a nice salad at Mickie D's, then looking at the salad
    > dressing package. Oy! It was almost as fatty as a big Mac!

    It's not just Mc D's salad dressing. Many salad dressings have way more
    calories than the salad. But then again... you need a good dressing
    otherwise plain salad just doesn't taste all that good.

    Another misconception is people who diet and eat a lot of fruit instead. The
    problem there is that fruit often contains a *lot* of sugar. So fruit is
    healthy and good for you but watch out for the sugar calories.

    > --
    > The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words
    > return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.

  8. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Chris Ahlstrom espoused:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Let's see...
    >>>
    >>> Fried food.
    >>> Deep fried food.
    >>> High fat meats.
    >>> Breaded meats.
    >>> Deep fried starchy vegetables.
    >>> White bread.
    >>> No green vegetables to speak of.
    >>> No fiber to speak of.
    >>> Cheese with unecessary transfat.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps you were confused and thinking of Wendys.

    >> More likely you are confused. Take a look at the McDonalds menu some day
    >> beyond their traditional (and still extremely popular) burgers and fries.
    >> They've had salads for several years and have various low fat grilled
    >> chicken sandwiches as well.

    > Damn, Granny! I'm hungry!

    McDonalds even add sugar to their salads. They do not sell healthy food in
    their caf├ęs.

  9. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    On 2008-11-04, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > newsvLPk.56818$rD2.12220@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Let's see...
    >>>
    >>> Fried food.
    >>> Deep fried food.
    >>> High fat meats.
    >>> Breaded meats.
    >>> Deep fried starchy vegetables.
    >>> White bread.
    >>> No green vegetables to speak of.
    >>> No fiber to speak of.
    >>> Cheese with unecessary transfat.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps you were confused and thinking of Wendys.

    >> I remember getting a nice salad at Mickie D's, then looking at the salad
    >> dressing package. Oy! It was almost as fatty as a big Mac!

    > It's not just Mc D's salad dressing. Many salad dressings have way more
    > calories than the salad. But then again... you need a good dressing
    > otherwise plain salad just doesn't taste all that good.
    >
    > Another misconception is people who diet and eat a lot of fruit instead. The
    > problem there is that fruit often contains a *lot* of sugar. So fruit is
    > healthy and good for you but watch out for the sugar calories.

    Fresh fruit has lots of vitamins and fiber. It's sugars are less
    refined and are offset by the rest of what's in the fruit. Also they
    aren't just empty calories (like the caramel sauce that comes with
    apple slices at McDs).

    The average American eats enough bread in a day that they can
    easily exceed the FDA for fiber without even trying so long as they
    avoid the white crap with no fiber and all of its vitamins bleached
    out of it.

    --
    Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is! |||
    / | \

  10. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > McDonalds even add sugar to their salads. They do not sell healthy
    > food in their caf├ęs.

    It boggles the mind that anyone could seriously argue that the fat-ass
    American staple diet of "burgers 'n fries" is actually "healthy" or in
    any way "good". It's junk, it's never been anything but junk, and it's
    only suitable as an occasional snack for children, which is just about
    the kind of mentality one would need to want to eat the same tasteless
    and unimaginative junk, meal after meal, day after day, for years at a
    time, like most adult Americans (and children elsewhere) seem to do.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:46:11 up 25 days, 13:41, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.02

  11. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Homer wrote:
    > Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> McDonalds even add sugar to their salads. They do not sell
    >> healthy food in their caf├ęs.

    > It boggles the mind that anyone could seriously argue that the
    > fat-ass American staple diet of "burgers 'n fries" is actually
    > "healthy" or in any way "good". It's junk, it's never been
    > anything but junk, and it's only suitable as an occasional
    > snack for children, which is just about the kind of mentality
    > one would need to want to eat the same tasteless and
    > unimaginative junk, meal after meal, day after day, for years
    > at a time, like most adult Americans (and children elsewhere)
    > seem to do.

    However, Fish 'n Chips, now there's a meal! :-)

    --
    HPT

  12. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    High Plains Thumper espoused:
    > Homer wrote:
    >> Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> McDonalds even add sugar to their salads. They do not sell
    >>> healthy food in their caf├ęs.

    >> It boggles the mind that anyone could seriously argue that the
    >> fat-ass American staple diet of "burgers 'n fries" is actually
    >> "healthy" or in any way "good". It's junk, it's never been
    >> anything but junk, and it's only suitable as an occasional
    >> snack for children, which is just about the kind of mentality
    >> one would need to want to eat the same tasteless and
    >> unimaginative junk, meal after meal, day after day, for years
    >> at a time, like most adult Americans (and children elsewhere)
    >> seem to do.

    > However, Fish 'n Chips, now there's a meal! :-)

    Fish and chips has a relatively low fat content, with a high fibre,
    protein and energy content, too, as well as being fairly inexpensive.
    Fish is, in general, far less fatty than meat, and much much less fatty
    than red meat (like beef). Here's a quote:

    Fish and chips have a third less calories than the other popular
    takeaways, and represents just 30% of a female's recommended
    calorie intake and 23% of a male's. It also has a massive 42%
    less fat than a doner kebab and a third less than a Whopper Meal
    from Burger King.

    http://www.seafish.org/plate/facts.asp?p=gi224

    The biggest problem with fish and chips is the overfishing of the North
    Sea and Atlantic cod and haddock stocks. It's also worth noting that
    most people in the UK would consume Fish and Chips once/week at most,
    traditionally on Friday.

  13. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 November 2008 08:22 : \____

    > High Plains Thumper espoused:
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>> Mark Kent spake thusly:

    >>> It boggles the mind that anyone could seriously argue that the
    >>> fat-ass American staple diet of "burgers 'n fries" is actually
    >>> "healthy" or in any way "good". It's junk, it's never been
    >>> anything but junk, and it's only suitable as an occasional
    >>> snack for children, which is just about the kind of mentality
    >>> one would need to want to eat the same tasteless and
    >>> unimaginative junk, meal after meal, day after day, for years
    >>> at a time, like most adult Americans (and children elsewhere)
    >>> seem to do.

    >> However, Fish 'n Chips, now there's a meal! :-)
    >>

    > Fish and chips has a relatively low fat content, with a high fibre,
    > protein and energy content, too, as well as being fairly inexpensive.
    > Fish is, in general, far less fatty than meat, and much much less fatty
    > than red meat (like beef). Here's a quote:
    >
    > Fish and chips have a third less calories than the other popular
    > takeaways, and represents just 30% of a female's recommended
    > calorie intake and 23% of a male's. It also has a massive 42%
    > less fat than a doner kebab and a third less than a Whopper Meal
    > from Burger King.
    >
    > http://www.seafish.org/plate/facts.asp?p=gi224
    >
    > The biggest problem with fish and chips is the overfishing of the North
    > Sea and Atlantic cod and haddock stocks. It's also worth noting that
    > most people in the UK would consume Fish and Chips once/week at most,
    > traditionally on Friday.

    Here's an explanation of how political corruption and the sugar industry are
    responsible for huge deception that harms the public... regarding diet.

    http://lessig.org/blog/2008/07/netro...n_keynote.html

    Eye opening, no doubt.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz The Holy Bible: http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html

  14. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Mark Kent on Wednesday :
    >> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    >>> However, Fish 'n Chips, now there's a meal! :-)

    >> Fish and chips has a relatively low fat content, with a high fibre,
    >> protein and energy content, too, as well as being fairly inexpensive.
    >> Fish is, in general, far less fatty than meat, and much much less fatty
    >> than red meat (like beef). Here's a quote:
    >>
    >> Fish and chips have a third less calories than the other popular
    >> takeaways, and represents just 30% of a female's recommended calorie
    >> intake and 23% of a male's. It also has a massive 42% less fat than a
    >> doner kebab and a third less than a Whopper Meal from Burger King.
    >>
    >> http://www.seafish.org/plate/facts.asp?p=gi224
    >>
    >> The biggest problem with fish and chips is the overfishing of the North
    >> Sea and Atlantic cod and haddock stocks. It's also worth noting that
    >> most people in the UK would consume Fish and Chips once/week at most,
    >> traditionally on Friday.

    > Here's an explanation of how political corruption and the sugar industry
    > are responsible for huge deception that harms the public... regarding
    > diet.
    >
    > http://lessig.org/blog/2008/07/netro...n_keynote.html
    >
    > Eye opening, no doubt.

    I tried to open that site but their server is not responding. Actually, I
    was being facetious. Unless one lives in the New England states, about
    the only Fish 'n Chips is available from either Captain D's or Long John
    Silver, both fast food restaurants. The fish is heavily battered and
    deep oil fried, very oily, greasy.

    Japanese food OTOH tends to use little oil and their aftermeal snacks at
    restaurants are cut in smaller portions. (Perhaps an influence from
    driving on the proper - left side of the road. :-)

    --
    HPT

  15. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 05 November 2008 10:02 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Mark Kent on Wednesday :
    >>> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    >>> Fish and chips has a relatively low fat content, with a high fibre,
    >>> protein and energy content, too, as well as being fairly inexpensive.
    >>> Fish is, in general, far less fatty than meat, and much much less fatty
    >>> than red meat (like beef). Here's a quote:
    >>>
    >>> Fish and chips have a third less calories than the other popular
    >>> takeaways, and represents just 30% of a female's recommended calorie
    >>> intake and 23% of a male's. It also has a massive 42% less fat than a
    >>> doner kebab and a third less than a Whopper Meal from Burger King.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.seafish.org/plate/facts.asp?p=gi224
    >>>
    >>> The biggest problem with fish and chips is the overfishing of the North
    >>> Sea and Atlantic cod and haddock stocks. It's also worth noting that
    >>> most people in the UK would consume Fish and Chips once/week at most,
    >>> traditionally on Friday.

    >> Here's an explanation of how political corruption and the sugar industry
    >> are responsible for huge deception that harms the public... regarding
    >> diet.
    >>
    >> http://lessig.org/blog/2008/07/netro...n_keynote.html
    >>
    >> Eye opening, no doubt.

    > I tried to open that site but their server is not responding. Actually, I
    > was being facetious. Unless one lives in the New England states, about
    > the only Fish 'n Chips is available from either Captain D's or Long John
    > Silver, both fast food restaurants. The fish is heavily battered and
    > deep oil fried, very oily, greasy.
    >
    > Japanese food OTOH tends to use little oil and their aftermeal snacks at
    > restaurants are cut in smaller portions. (Perhaps an influence from
    > driving on the proper - left side of the road. :-)

    The server was down when I pasted it here as well. It was fine yesterday.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
    run-level 5 Oct 15 15:52 last=S

  16. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    High Plains Thumper espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Mark Kent on Wednesday :
    >>> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    >>> Fish and chips has a relatively low fat content, with a high fibre,
    >>> protein and energy content, too, as well as being fairly inexpensive.
    >>> Fish is, in general, far less fatty than meat, and much much less fatty
    >>> than red meat (like beef). Here's a quote:
    >>>
    >>> Fish and chips have a third less calories than the other popular
    >>> takeaways, and represents just 30% of a female's recommended calorie
    >>> intake and 23% of a male's. It also has a massive 42% less fat than a
    >>> doner kebab and a third less than a Whopper Meal from Burger King.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.seafish.org/plate/facts.asp?p=gi224
    >>>
    >>> The biggest problem with fish and chips is the overfishing of the North
    >>> Sea and Atlantic cod and haddock stocks. It's also worth noting that
    >>> most people in the UK would consume Fish and Chips once/week at most,
    >>> traditionally on Friday.

    >> Here's an explanation of how political corruption and the sugar industry
    >> are responsible for huge deception that harms the public... regarding
    >> diet.
    >>
    >> http://lessig.org/blog/2008/07/netro...n_keynote.html
    >>
    >> Eye opening, no doubt.

    > I tried to open that site but their server is not responding. Actually, I
    > was being facetious. Unless one lives in the New England states, about
    > the only Fish 'n Chips is available from either Captain D's or Long John
    > Silver, both fast food restaurants. The fish is heavily battered and
    > deep oil fried, very oily, greasy.

    I've not tried to buy Fish and Chips in the US at all. I've had some in
    Canada, which was fine, but I suspect that the closer you get to the
    coast, the better it gets. Are the great lakes fished, would you know?
    Perhaps they're too polluted for the risk...

    > Japanese food OTOH tends to use little oil and their aftermeal snacks at
    > restaurants are cut in smaller portions. (Perhaps an influence from
    > driving on the proper - left side of the road. :-)

    Hehe :-) I had some excellent food whilst in Japan, although I would
    say I managed to find one or two places which weren't so good, too.

  17. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >Actually, I
    >was being facetious. Unless one lives in the New England states, about
    >the only Fish 'n Chips is available from either Captain D's or Long John
    >Silver, both fast food restaurants. The fish is heavily battered and
    >deep oil fried, very oily, greasy.

    Yeah, there's scores of highly-paid food scientists whose job it is to
    see how much breading and crap that they can make stick to a small
    chunk of meat. Gross.

    I fry my own fish at home. When I do it, it's a chunk of MEAT, with
    only a thin crispy coating, and not too much oil.

  18. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Homer wrote:

    >Despite the "choices" on that menu (i.e. sugar, fat or both) I bet 99%
    >of all "burger bar" patrons go for a) the biggest hamburger on the menu
    >and b) the "supersize" option on both the fries and the soda and c) the
    >Coke ... and then go back for seconds.

    IMO, sugar-pop is one of the most evil inventions ever. "Hey, they'll
    buy sugar-water!" Doesn't matter how purely unhealthy it is...

    >They'll eat that three times a
    >day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and probably another couple of times
    >in between meals too.

    No! The true path to health is to skip breakfast, have a mid-morning
    doughnut, and THEN the big fast-food lunch. 8)

  19. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > Fish and chips has a relatively low fat content, with a high fibre,
    > protein and energy content, too, as well as being fairly inexpensive.

    Well the fish itself is a healthy food, certainly, in that it has a high
    vitamin D and so-called Omega 3 content. Of course even the Omega 3 oils
    are "fattening" since they are relatively high in calories but generally
    the benefits outweigh the disadvantages (they lower cholesterol levels).

    Chips OTOH are mostly junk. There's some vitamin C in potatoes, and some
    trace elements but not much else except carbs, and once you start frying
    /anything/ you pretty much kill whatever goodness was there, and replace
    it with high calorie fats, which are invariably the saturated variety.

    As for price, my local fishman sells haddock at a quid for a medium size
    piece, which is good value, but if you buy it in a restaurant or chippie
    then it's surprisingly expensive; up to a fiver in a chippie, which IMHO
    is a rip off.

    I do always try to have fish on a Friday but it's only now and then that
    I'll eat battered Fish 'n Chips. I prefer stuff like Cod Mornay; halibut
    steaks; and pretty much any fish in a savoury white sauce. I'm also more
    of a mash potatoes or salad guy, than chips. I do a lovely Rainbow Trout
    with lime; lemongrass; tomatoes; rock salt; freshly ground black pepper;
    and a dash of white wine; wrapped in tin foil and baked in the oven, and
    served with an avocado and fresh mozzarella cheese salad, garnished with
    sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil (thank you Tesco).

    Hungry?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

  20. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

    > No! The true path to health is to skip breakfast, have a mid-morning
    > doughnut, and THEN the big fast-food lunch. 8)

    I found it fascinating that, according to a study some years ago, simply
    eating breakfast at /all/, regardless of how unhealthy the food is, is
    actually healthier than skipping breakfast entirely.

    So the key to indulging in comfort food, is to eat it all at breakfast,
    presumably.

    This may account for why the American breakfast seems to consist of a
    disproportionately high quantity of maple syrup

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----