[News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly: > Will you guys stop with the food descriptions!!!!! > > Or at least send me a CARE package! Now you're really asking for it. Hmm, sweet or savoury? Let's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 53 of 53

  1. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

    > Will you guys stop with the food descriptions!!!!!
    >
    > Or at least send me a CARE package!

    Now you're really asking for it.

    Hmm, sweet or savoury?

    Let's go for sweet:

    Picture a sundae glass, chilled in the freezer for a few minutes, with a
    frosting of powdered Muscovado dark sugar around the rim. A small dollop
    of chocolate syrup sits at the bottom of the glass followed by one layer
    of freshly whipped cream; a crumbled chocolate-chip cookie; butterscotch
    mousse; a spoon of ground hazelnuts and brittle caramel bits; a layer of
    the smoothest vanilla ice cream you've ever tasted; a generous amount of
    any coffee liqueur (e.g. Kahl├║a); a layer of dark chocolate ice cream; a
    layer of caramel syrup; another layer of freshly whipped cream; and then
    a topping of chocolate chips and nuts, garnished with a chocolate flake;
    a cinnamon stick and a brandy-snap. As you look at the glass a tiny drop
    of condensation forms, and starts slowly moving down the glass past each
    layer.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:17:03 up 1 day, 7:59, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.26, 0.41

  2. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

  3. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    On 2008-11-06, chrisv wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> Gregory Shearman belched:

    >>> Hmmm... melt butter, add flour to form a roux, fry until fragrant, add
    >>> very hot milk and then stir under a low-medium heat until thickened.
    >>> Flavour with Romano cheese, grated lemon rind and a teaspoon of hot
    >>> english mustard.

    >>Will you guys stop with the food descriptions!!!!!
    >>
    >>Or at least send me a CARE package!

    > Yeah, I can't wait for the weekend when I'll have time to try making
    > some "white sauce".
    >
    > I suppose I'll need to come-up with a way to steam the fish something,
    > instead of frying... Yes, I'm a novice.

    Why not get yourself a nice piece of smoked cod? You can poach it in
    milk (after washing it and removing the salt) and then you can use the
    milk to make your white sauce.... mmmmm....

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    On 2008-11-06, chrisv wrote:
    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >>Squid

    > *gag*

    Philistine

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  5. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
    >
    >> Will you guys stop with the food descriptions!!!!!
    >>
    >> Or at least send me a CARE package!

    > Now you're really asking for it.
    >
    > Hmm, sweet or savoury?
    >
    > Let's go for sweet:
    >
    > Picture a sundae glass, chilled in the freezer for a few minutes, with a
    > frosting of powdered Muscovado dark sugar around the rim. A small dollop
    > of chocolate syrup sits at the bottom of the glass followed by one layer
    > of freshly whipped cream; a crumbled chocolate-chip cookie; butterscotch
    > mousse; a spoon of ground hazelnuts and brittle caramel bits; a layer of
    > the smoothest vanilla ice cream you've ever tasted; a generous amount of
    > any coffee liqueur (e.g. Kahl˙a); a layer of dark chocolate ice cream; a
    > layer of caramel syrup; another layer of freshly whipped cream; and then
    > a topping of chocolate chips and nuts, garnished with a chocolate flake;
    > a cinnamon stick and a brandy-snap. As you look at the glass a tiny drop
    > of condensation forms, and starts slowly moving down the glass past each
    > layer.

    Bastard.

    --
    There's a couple of million dollars worth of baseball talent on the loose,
    ready for the big leagues, yet unsigned by any major league. There are

  6. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-06, chrisv wrote:
    >> Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>
    >>>Squid

    >> *gag*

    > Philistine

    I like squid but found that eating more than a taste of it gives me a
    reaction that makes my face buzz. Sigh.

    --
    The annual meeting of the "You Have To Listen To Experience" Club is now in
    session.

  7. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Homer belched:
    >>
    >> Picture a sundae glass, chilled in the freezer for a few minutes, with a
    >> frosting of powdered Muscovado dark sugar around the rim. A small dollop
    >> of chocolate syrup sits at the bottom of the glass followed by one layer
    >> of freshly whipped cream; a crumbled chocolate-chip cookie; butterscotch
    >> mousse; a spoon of ground hazelnuts and brittle caramel bits; a layer of
    >> the smoothest vanilla ice cream you've ever tasted; a generous amount of
    >> any coffee liqueur (e.g. Kahl˙a); a layer of dark chocolate ice cream; a
    >> layer of caramel syrup; another layer of freshly whipped cream; and then
    >> a topping of chocolate chips and nuts, garnished with a chocolate flake;
    >> a cinnamon stick and a brandy-snap. As you look at the glass a tiny drop
    >> of condensation forms, and starts slowly moving down the glass past each
    >> layer.

    >Bastard.

    I gained weight just reading that!

  8. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    > YouTube is going high-res. Neuros < http://www.neurostechnology.com/
    > works with YouTube now, in case you want it projected.

    Cool (on both counts)!

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:41:32 up 2 days, 1:24, 3 users, load average: 0.49, 0.31, 0.17

  9. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    Homer wrote:

    >The longest part of preparing
    >a sauce is making the stock, which takes a few hours - long enough for
    >the meat to fall off the bones; the marrowbone to run out; and the veg
    >and herbs to properly infuse.

    I think I'll stick with the cubes, for that. 8)

  10. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

  11. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    On 2008-11-07, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> *gag*

    >> Philistine

    > I like squid but found that eating more than a taste of it gives me a
    > reaction that makes my face buzz. Sigh.

    Oh dear... sounds like a wicked reaction....

    If I eat mussels, I end up violently vomiting and ****ting... and my
    legs won't work.

    Oysters are fine... I love them.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  12. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-11-07, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> I like squid but found that eating more than a taste of it gives me a
    >> reaction that makes my face buzz. Sigh.

    > Oh dear... sounds like a wicked reaction....
    >
    > If I eat mussels, I end up violently vomiting and ****ting... and my
    > legs won't work.

    Yikes!

    > Oysters are fine... I love them.

    I can't eat squid and octopus, but mussels and oysters are fine.

    Ah yes, the cold season here in South Carolina is coming, and that means
    oyster "roasts" ("steaming", actually) are imminent.

    --
    UH-OH!! I put on "GREAT HEAD-ON TRAIN COLLISIONS of the 50's" by
    mistake!!!

  13. Re: [News] Another Win for Linux in the Restaurant

    On 2008-11-08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-07, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I like squid but found that eating more than a taste of it gives me a
    >>> reaction that makes my face buzz. Sigh.

    >> Oh dear... sounds like a wicked reaction....
    >>
    >> If I eat mussels, I end up violently vomiting and ****ting... and my
    >> legs won't work.

    > Yikes!

    Not wrong. Whenever I go to a restaurant I have to ask whether or not
    there's any mussels in a seafood dish. I've been caught once or twice by
    stupid waiters and cooks who don't care about the sensitivities of their
    customers. I never return to such places.

    >> Oysters are fine... I love them.

    > I can't eat squid and octopus, but mussels and oysters are fine.
    >
    > Ah yes, the cold season here in South Carolina is coming, and that means
    > oyster "roasts" ("steaming", actually) are imminent.

    We are heading into summer here, a time for the wonderful Sydney Rock
    Oyster... superb raw straight out of the shell or with a squeeze of
    lemon juice. These lovely oysters grow just a few kilometres up the
    road. When I was a young lad my dad used to take us up the tidal marshes
    and we'd take the oysters straight from the mangrove roots... mmmm...
    lovely!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.