Booz Allen Leverages Red Hat Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, a provider of open source solutions, has announced that Booz Allen
| Hamilton, a strategy and technology consulting firm, has deployed Red Hat
| solutions to deliver increased scalability and flexibility for its clients'
| mission-critical systems.
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Ne...94613-755.html

Recent:

,----[ Quote ]
| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

The Power of Perception

,----[ Quote ]
| A campaign featuring Jerry Seinfeld may well succeed in changing this and
| convincing consumers to run Vista. But will it change the perceptions of IT
| professionals in large organizations? I wouldn't bet against it. We all like
| to think we are rational agents, but in reality we are all still susceptible
| to advertising — even Microsoft's.
|
| Let's take a look at the Linux market. Linux has many things going for it,
| yet it makes up just 13.4 percent of total server revenue. (Don't forget,
| many servers run Linux but don't generate revenue for vendors.)
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3769301

Linux ready for real-time computing in financial services

,----[ Quote ]
| Vinod Kutty, the distributed computing R&D head at the Chicago Mercantile
| Exchange (CME), now the CME Group, and a conference speaker, believes that
| Linux has become more mature as a platform and is ready for mission-critical,
| financial services workloads. *
|
| "I'm starting to see Linux companies focusing on enterprise customer needs"
| and beefing up their staff of talented Unix developers, Kutty said after the
| conference. "These are signs that they are ready to play in the enterprise
| market." *
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...309650,00.html

Is Linux Ready To Hit Wall Street?

,----[ Quote ]
| While a mass exodus to Linux based systems will not happen overnight, and may
| be delayed somewhat in light of the recent economic climate, we can safely
| assume that Linux will have a growing presence in the financial sector.
| Increasing up take in this sector will see the name of Linux hit the
| headlines worldwide and could possibly offer a useful way into other, more
| traditional markets. * *
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/is-linu...t-wall-street/

Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Stock Exchange is moving to a Linux platform for its
| settlement and clearing system, replacing its existing HP NonStop platform
| and applications in order to reduce cost and increase flexibility. *
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2573F00001488E

HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

,----[ Quote ]
| "We favor Linux for what we do. We don't want to be beholden to any one
| [hardware or software] supplier, even if it is very good. We want the freedom
| to be vendor-independent, so Linux was a good choice," said Rubinow. *
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...285921,00.html

Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
| significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
| these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
| "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
| impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
| about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.
`----

http://ideasint.blogs.com/ideasinsig...crossing_.html

Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
| open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
| the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
| gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
| that are commercially viable.
|
| [...]
|
| "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
| financial services companies and that's why many companies are
| expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
| open source software."
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.p...10216&from=rss

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R...ux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]
| The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
| will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
|
| "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
| - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
| Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=7681

NEWS: Linux Developers Make A Living

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, I said paid professionals.
|
| [...]
|
| McPherson also notes that “it’s difficult for most people to get their minds
| around competitive mass collaboration.” Indeed, this is what the freedom
| afforded by Linux is all about. People (and companies) contribute not for
| humanitarian reasons, but because they expect a benefit. Work together to
| create the best platform, openly usable by everyone, and if it still doesn’t
| meet your needs perfectly, you are free to change it accordingly. Everyone
| wins. No compromises. * * *
`----

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2008/0...make-a-living/

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
`----