My employer completed migration of apps to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on My employer completed migration of apps to Linux - Linux ; After takin' a swig o' grog, Michael B. Trausch belched out this bit o' wisdom: > On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:26:58 -0500 > Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > >> Whatever, Erik. The chart certainly "blows the doors off" of your ...

  1. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Michael B. Trausch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:26:58 -0500
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> Whatever, Erik. The chart certainly "blows the doors off" of your
    >> claim that Powershell "blows the doors off" of the open-source
    >> alternatives.

    > Feel free to use Google before considering Wikipedia to be
    > authoritative.

    Who said /that/?

    > Open source PowerShell:
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pash

    That's not Powershell, dude. It's not even clear how much it implements.

    Same as Wine or ReactOS are not Windows.

    --
    Odd that we think definitions are definitive. :-)
    -- Larry Wall in <199702221943.LAA20388@wall.org>

  2. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:JgnPk.60339$De7.52072@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter K÷hlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, dennis@home belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Because it works better on Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Trust me.

    >> Apart from the fact that not "most OSS" runs fine on windows (I seriously
    >> doubt that *anything* runs fine on Vista). OSS running fine on windows is
    >> for the most part *not* of the GUI type. Only the very best GUI apps are
    >> ported to windows, since until relativly few years ago it was quite some
    >> work to have a GUI app running on windows and X.

    > Well, cygwin helps a lot with that.
    >
    >> So, most "fine on windows working OSS" is not GUI. And far from being
    >> "most
    >> OSS". I guess it is not even half of it

    > It would be interested to see some numbers.

    You won't get them from kolman.
    He has already altered the quotes to suit his trolling in case you failed to
    notice.
    It started as most of the *good* OOS runs on windows but that doesn't suit
    his trolling.

  3. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:59:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:8SiPk.56808$bx1.52267@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
    >

    >> Yeah, but why bother running OSS on Windows?

    > Why not?
    > There is a lot of OSS out there and most of it runs fine on vista.

    So do viruses, trojans, DRM, WGA, and probably more than a few Microsoft
    and US government back doors.

    --
    Slackware: An ancient geek word meaning, "Ubuntu is too easy"

  4. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Jim Moss wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:59:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >> news:8SiPk.56808$bx1.52267@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>

    >>> Yeah, but why bother running OSS on Windows?

    >> Why not?
    >> There is a lot of OSS out there and most of it runs fine on vista.

    > So do viruses, trojans, DRM, WGA, and probably more than a few Microsoft
    > and US government back doors.

    The truth is that Linux is a great server, but struggles as a dektop due
    to lack of apps.

    Windows is the other way round, mediocre desktop, but preferred cos all
    the apps do run on it. Lousy as a server. Which it was never designed to
    be. really, despite all the NT bollocks

  5. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    "Jim Moss" wrote in message
    news:rPKdnWg72tGJkpPUnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:59:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >> news:8SiPk.56808$bx1.52267@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>

    >>> Yeah, but why bother running OSS on Windows?

    >> Why not?
    >> There is a lot of OSS out there and most of it runs fine on vista.

    > So do viruses, trojans,

    They also run on linux despite what you may think.

    DRM,

    Ah yes the lack of the stuff stops linux from playing things like hi def
    downloads on the bbc.

    > WGA,

    A waste of time.

    > and probably more than a few Microsoft
    > and US government back doors.

    Care to name any?
    I bet there are lots of people looking for them but no one has found them
    yet.

  6. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On 2008-11-02, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Jim Moss" wrote in message
    > news:rPKdnWg72tGJkpPUnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:59:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >>> news:8SiPk.56808$bx1.52267@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Why not?
    >>> There is a lot of OSS out there and most of it runs fine on vista.

    >> So do viruses, trojans,

    > They also run on linux despite what you may think.

    Under Wine? Name one single in-the-wild virus that runs on Linux.

    > DRM,
    >
    > Ah yes the lack of the stuff stops linux from playing things like hi def
    > downloads on the bbc.
    >
    >> WGA,

    > A waste of time.

    Time you don't have to waste on Linux.

    >> and probably more than a few Microsoft
    >> and US government back doors.

    > Care to name any?
    > I bet there are lots of people looking for them but no one has found them
    > yet.

    Just look in C:\Windows\sources ... wait ... how should someone find a
    hidden backdoor without the source code?

    --
    v4sw5RUYhw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7Lw3+2Xm0l6/7Gi2e2t3b6AKMen5+7a16s0Sr1p-5.62/-6.56g6OR

  7. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    In article <87iqr6cmit.fsf@com.invalid>,
    Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > Wanting to learn more about powershell, I went to the FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv....aspx?pf=true#
    >
    > I clicked on "How much will Windows PowerShell cost?"
    >
    > and it refused to answer. (It just pointed me to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...faq.aspx?pf=tr
    > ue#
    > again. Clicking on "View all answers" doesn't help. )
    >
    > I'm using Firefox on Linux.

    Works fine in Firefox on Mac.

    It doesn't work in Safari on Mac, though, with the URL you gave. Take
    off the ?pf=true#, and then it works fine in Safari on Mac.

    On my Ubunutu 6.06LTS system, with whatever Firefox comes with that
    (with all updates installed), the behavior is the same as Safari on Mac:
    fails with the URL you gave, works if the ?pf=true# is removed.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    "Erik Hahn" wrote in message

    > Just look in C:\Windows\sources ... wait ... how should someone find a
    > hidden backdoor without the source code?

    The same way as you do if you think you have the source.
    It has already been shown that it is possible to hide stuff in OSS by
    modifying the compiler so I hope you disassemble your compiler and check it
    isn't hiding backdoors in everything you compile.

  9. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Jim Moss" wrote in message
    > news:rPKdnWg72tGJkpPUnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:59:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >>> news:8SiPk.56808$bx1.52267@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Why not?
    >>> There is a lot of OSS out there and most of it runs fine on vista.

    >> So do viruses, trojans,

    > They also run on linux despite what you may think.

    Feel free to name any virus in the wild

    > DRM,
    >
    > Ah yes the lack of the stuff stops linux from playing things like hi def
    > downloads on the bbc.

    If absolutely needed, linux will have DRM
    I think that instead DRM will vanish

    >> WGA,

    > A waste of time.

    Yes. A typical MS "innovation"

    >> and probably more than a few Microsoft
    >> and US government back doors.

    > Care to name any?
    > I bet there are lots of people looking for them but no one has found them
    > yet.

    Thats the point, isn't it?
    --
    I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
    If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.

  10. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:JgnPk.60339$De7.52072@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter K├Âhlmann belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Apart from the fact that not "most OSS" runs fine on windows (I
    >>> seriously doubt that *anything* runs fine on Vista). OSS running fine on
    >>> windows is for the most part *not* of the GUI type. Only the very best
    >>> GUI apps are ported to windows, since until relativly few years ago it
    >>> was quite some work to have a GUI app running on windows and X.

    >> Well, cygwin helps a lot with that.
    >>
    >>> So, most "fine on windows working OSS" is not GUI. And far from being
    >>> "most
    >>> OSS". I guess it is not even half of it

    >> It would be interested to see some numbers.

    > You won't get them from kolman.

    What part of "I guess it is..." needs more explanation, MD5-dennis?

    > He has already altered the quotes to suit his trolling in case you failed
    > to notice.

    Feel free to prove that lie, imbecile

    > It started as most of the *good* OOS runs on windows but that doesn't suit
    > his trolling.

    With you defining the "good OSS", naturally.

    --
    Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

  11. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Erik Hahn" wrote in message
    >
    >> Just look in C:\Windows\sources ... wait ... how should someone find a
    >> hidden backdoor without the source code?

    > The same way as you do if you think you have the source.
    > It has already been shown that it is possible to hide stuff in OSS by
    > modifying the compiler so I hope you disassemble your compiler and check
    > it isn't hiding backdoors in everything you compile.

    No, it hasn't been "shown".
    It was a theoretical thinking, which has never been attempted in reality

    And even *if* it were possible, it is several magnitudes more difficult than
    hiding backdoors in windows
    --
    What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
    simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog,

  12. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > The truth is that Linux is a great server, but struggles as a dektop due
    > to lack of apps.

    Wrong! There are just as many apps for Linux as there are for Windows.

    > Windows is the other way round, mediocre desktop, but preferred cos all
    > the apps do run on it. Lousy as a server. Which it was never designed to
    > be. really, despite all the NT bollocks.

    Lousy, unstable, insecure, expensive... All the bad "features" of Windows.
    IIS - "which security flaw would like to exploit today?"

    There is no longer any reason to "run" Windoze on /anything/ at all. MS
    haven't released anything truly new since Windoze 2000, despite wasting the
    GDP of a large country on "development".

    C.

  13. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Erik Hahn wrote:

    > Just look in C:\Windows\sources ... wait ... how should someone find a
    > hidden backdoor without the source code?

    8-) MD5 Dennis will claim that the "black helicopters" are on their way for
    you!

    You *can* be certain that all MS "operating systems" include "facilities" for
    the NSA (or whatever they're called this week).

    C.

  14. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On Nov 2, 1:55 pm, Erik Hahn wrote:
    > [...]
    > Name one single in-the-wild virus that runs on Linux.

    Linux.RST.B

    Google "Linux.RST.B". It's still active.

    There are quite a few more Linux viruses "out there" as
    revealed in a recent thread in comp.os.linux.security

    Rootkits, too. US-CERT reports
    phalanx2 attacking Linux right now re: ssh flaws.

    Some more references:

    Linux boxes make ideal botnet controllers:

    Do I Need an AntiVirus Program on Linux?

    Two open source email virus scanners for Linux:

    [Linux] Do You Really Need Anti-Virus Software?
    <http://maketecheasier.com/linux-do-y...ed-anti-virus-
    software/2008/04/\
    28>

    Linux Virus? [This is actually funny, but Linux viruses *DO EXIST*]

    And then there's the Open Source Virus complying with GPL
    by including source and documentation when it spreads:

  15. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 19:34:30 -0500, Thad Floryan wrote:

    > Google "Linux.RST.B". It's still active.

    Agreed, although it's threat level is considered low.

    > Do I Need an AntiVirus Program on Linux?

    Interesting choice of sites to link to. From that page ...

    "An anti-virus program running on Linux is designed to detect
    Windows viruses, so that they aren't spread, unknowingly, by
    the Linux user."

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  16. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On 2008-11-02, John Kloosterman wrote:
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:30:49 -0500, Ignoramus27079 wrote:
    >>
    >> Interesting. You seem to live up to your name. See below:
    >>

    > [snipped a lot of crap]
    >
    > Dot't you get it in your thick scull?
    >
    > He Likes Linux and don't want to use Windows. Thats it!
    > Nothing more, nothing less.

    Yes, there is something more, which is that Linux works much better.

    > Why does he have to defend his choice as Linux is obviously
    > working for him? Is it a crime not to use windows?
    >
    > It looks to me like you are trying to say that...
    >
    > Seems to me like you are a arrogant (and maybe paid?)
    > windows user trying to bash a Linux user for his (also in my
    > opinion) good choice. Now - go home to your beloved Richmond
    > an go play with the other brainless guys over there...

    I think that, as things stand, we do not have a viable option to go
    back to Windows.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  17. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

    >> Blows the doors off of any other scripting environment out there?
    >> Sounds like you're drooling again. It's a Windows-only tool.

    Well Fuddie is the same guy who drooled all over Windows Home Server
    (File Corruption Edition) when it first came out, like Microsoft had
    just Innovated® the concept of backup, so what did you expect?

    It must be da CommandLets® wot give it so much Powa!

    LOL!

    PowerShell CommandLets and Home Server ... how sad. The Vole should
    leave real computing to the adults, and stop embarrassing themselves.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:38:08 up 23 days, 12:33, 4 users, load average: 8.57, 8.68, 7.58

  18. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Thad Floryan spake thusly:
    > On Nov 2, 1:55 pm, Erik Hahn wrote:

    >> [...] Name one single in-the-wild virus that runs on Linux.

    > Linux.RST.B
    >
    > Google "Linux.RST.B". It's still active.

    Active where?

    Like any other Linux executable, this requires root privileges to do
    actual damage beyond $HOME. If you're running as root, then all bets
    are off anyway - heck, I could write a bash script that will wreak a
    lot of damage on a Linux system if you're running as root, you don't
    need a virus for that.

    OTOH, Windows users run with root privileges all the time, except in
    the very rare cases where some admin has bothered to lock down their
    access (some corporate networks, public access systems, etc.). There
    are still a lot of workplaces I've seen with almost no user policies
    and users have admin privileges by default, however.

    And that, if you'll pardon the pun, is the root of the problem. It's
    what makes Windows inherently insecure and prone to attack by one of
    the *Millions* of Windows viruses out there.

    How many actual infections do we see on Linux machines?

    In ten years I've never seen, or even heard of, even /one/ infection.

    > There are quite a few more Linux viruses "out there" as revealed in a
    > recent thread in comp.os.linux.security

    Show me a citation from someone who was actually infected.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:48:41 up 23 days, 13:44, 4 users, load average: 4.18, 4.22, 4.27

  19. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On 2008-11-02, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > Erik Funkenbusch writes:
    >
    >> Also utter BS. The single most advanced scripting environment available
    >> for general purpose computers is PowerShell. It blows the doors of any
    >> other scripting environment out there.

    > Wanting to learn more about powershell, I went to the FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv....aspx?pf=true#
    >
    > I clicked on "How much will Windows PowerShell cost?"
    >
    > and it refused to answer. (It just pointed me to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv....aspx?pf=true#
    > again. Clicking on "View all answers" doesn't help. )
    >
    > I'm using Firefox on Linux.

    Does not seem to work, indeed.

    >> Sounds more like you're either ignorant (thus your name) or lying or maybe
    >> both.

    > Perhaps it's a conspiracy by Microsoft to keep us Linux people
    > ignorant . :-)

    Maybe they conspired to look like incompetent web designers.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Another thing about this PowerShell is that it is some sort of a
    newfangled, experimental thing from Microsoft. It is not even a part
    of Windows yet. So they can discontinue it at any time like they did
    with other products. They can also choose to charge a license fee for
    it.

    There is no source code for it and, therefore, it is risky to
    use. Conversely, bash and perl are free and are maintained in a
    reliable fashion (meaning that they will not be "discontinued").