Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista! - Linux

This is a discussion on Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista! - Linux ; This is a small home server, running Linux on a HP dual P3 700Mhz Netserver with 1Gb ram. Unique visitors = 5008 *********** Operating Systems ************* Versions Hits Percent Windows 95854 74.5 % Windows XP 72587 56.4 % Windows NT ...

  1. Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    This is a small home server, running Linux on a HP dual P3 700Mhz
    Netserver with 1Gb ram.

    Unique visitors = 5008

    *********** Operating Systems *************
    Versions Hits Percent
    Windows 95854 74.5 %
    Windows XP 72587 56.4 %
    Windows NT 30 0 %
    Windows Vista 19487 15.1 %
    Windows CE 4 0 %
    Windows 98 89 0 %
    Windows 2003 1993 1.5 %
    Windows 2000 1664 1.2 %
    BSD 94 0 %
    OpenBSD 30 0 %
    FreeBSD 64 0 %
    Linux 20993 16.3 %
    Ubuntu 11245 8.7 %
    Suse 538 0.4 %
    Red Hat 29 0 %
    Mandriva (or Mandrake) 148 0.1 %
    Fedora 1082 0.8 %
    Debian 1284 0.9 %
    Centos 55 0 %
    GNU Linux (Unknown or unspecified distribution) 6612 5.1 %
    Macintosh 9793 7.6 %
    Mac OS X 9793 7.6 %
    Others 1810 1.4 %
    Unknown 1473 1.1 %
    Unknown Unix system 258 0.2 %
    Symbian OS 41 0 %
    Sun Solaris 38 0 %

    *********** Browsers ************
    Versions Grabber Hits Percent
    MSIE 19057 14.8 %
    Msie 8.0 No 530 0.4 %
    Msie 7.0 No 12953 10 %
    Msie 6.0 No 5560 4.3 %
    Msie 5.5 No 11 0 %
    Msie 5.01 No 1 0 %
    Msie ? No 2 0 %
    FIREFOX 90093 70 %
    Firefox 3.1 No 475 0.3 %
    Firefox 3.0.4 No 24 0 %
    Firefox 3.0.3 No 69267 53.8 %
    Firefox 3.0.2 No 1433 1.1 %
    Firefox 3.0.1 No 4686 3.6 %
    Firefox 3.0 No 2369 1.8 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.9 No 145 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.7 No 193 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.6 No 337 0.2 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.5 No 99 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.4 No 293 0.2 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.3 No 285 0.2 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.2 No 30 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.17 No 5989 4.6 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.16 No 868 0.6 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.15 No 162 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.14 No 1080 0.8 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.13 No 141 0.1 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.12 No 338 0.2 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.11 No 666 0.5 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.10 No 83 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.1 No 32 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0.0 No 29 0 %
    Firefox 2.0.0 No 32 0 %
    Firefox 2.0 No 258 0.2 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.6 No 1 0 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.4 No 63 0 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.12 No 550 0.4 %
    Firefox 1.5.0.11 No 2 0 %
    Firefox 1.5 No 26 0 %
    Firefox 1.0.4 No 48 0 %
    Firefox 1.0 No 56 0 %
    Firefox ? No 33 0 %
    NETSCAPE 40 0 %
    Netscape 5.0 No 17 0 %
    Netscape 4.0 No 23 0 %
    Others 19354 15 %
    Safari No 7968 6.1 %
    Opera No 6065 4.7 %
    Mozilla No 2945 2.2 %
    Konqueror No 1460 1.1 %
    Unknown ? 385 0.2 %
    Epiphany No 120 0 %
    BonEcho (Firefox 2.0 development) No 116 0 %
    K-Meleon No 70 0 %
    Vienna (RSS Reader) No 56 0 %
    Links No 54 0 %
    NetNewsWire (RSS Reader) No 34 0 %
    OmniWeb No 33 0 %
    Galeon No 30 0 %
    w3m No 7 0 %
    LibWWW No 5 0 %
    Wget Yes 2 0 %
    BlogBridge (RSS Reader) No 1 0 %
    Acrobat Webcapture Yes 1 0 %
    Liferea (RSS Reader) No 1 0 %
    WebZIP Yes 1 0 %

  2. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    Terry Porter wrote:

    He is more sick than I had thought he was another statistics spammer in
    COLA.

    What else can be expected but statistics in Amityville.Linux.Advocacy.

    It's COLA GONE WILD!

  3. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:00:00 -0400, COLA Gone Wild wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >

    > He is more sick than I had thought he was another statistics spammer in
    > COLA.
    >
    > What else can be expected but statistics in Amityville.Linux.Advocacy.
    >
    > It's COLA GONE WILD!

    Porter is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    news:1umdnU5ULaNabJfUnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    > This is a small home server, running Linux on a HP dual P3 700Mhz

    The obvious problem here is the sample set you have. If I remember correctly
    you do network configuration/installation/etc and your website targets (in a
    non-OS specific way) people who are interested in your networking solutions.

    The problem here is that 'people who are interested in networking solutions'
    pretty much leans the target audience towards the /technical/ side of the
    spectrum. There are probably lots of "Joe Plumbers" out there who have and
    use computers but aren't surfing the web looking for networking solutions.

    So since your site is bound to attract a higher percentage of techies than
    something like Amazon.com or eBay. So it's no surprise that the
    techie-inclined visitors to your site would be using Linux more than the
    general public.

  5. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular thanVista!

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:01:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    > news:1umdnU5ULaNabJfUnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >> This is a small home server, running Linux on a HP dual P3 700Mhz

    > The obvious problem here is the sample set you have. If I remember
    > correctly you do network configuration/installation/etc and your website
    > targets (in a non-OS specific way) people who are interested in your
    > networking solutions.
    >
    > The problem here is that 'people who are interested in networking
    > solutions' pretty much leans the target audience towards the /technical/
    > side of the spectrum. There are probably lots of "Joe Plumbers" out
    > there who have and use computers but aren't surfing the web looking for
    > networking solutions.
    >
    > So since your site is bound to attract a higher percentage of techies
    > than something like Amazon.com or eBay. So it's no surprise that the
    > techie-inclined visitors to your site would be using Linux more than the
    > general public.

    A well put argument.

    I have noted that the stats don't change much, even when my hits go way
    up as a result of some of my tech articles.

    Normally the vast majority of hits are from customers buying WiFi gear,
    and 90% of them are definitely Windows users as I also get to speak to
    them on the phone.

    Most of them are pretty clueless re networking and wifi, especially the
    ones with "MSCE" at the end of their emails.

    Windows has long been used by techies, and still is. I'm always helping
    them over the phone when they have a complex network fault such as
    duplicate MACs etc.

    What's amazing to me is that this ratio of Linux to Windows was never so
    high before, and my server is about eight years old.

    You may be right, and techies may now be favoring Linux, but it's the
    TREND that interests me, as Linux usage is just steadily increasing.

  6. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular thanVista!

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:00:00 -0400, COLA Gone Wild wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >

    > He is more sick than I had thought he was another statistics spammer in
    > COLA.
    >
    > What else can be expected but statistics in Amityville.Linux.Advocacy.
    >
    > It's COLA GONE WILD!

    [WARNING TROLL ALERT]

    Readers are advised that the topmost poster is the "Level3.com troll",
    who forges the posts of many Advocates on COLA, using www.Level3.com to
    attempt to disrupt this newsgroup.

    Key article header indicators (for killfiling) are:-

    Readers are advised to either killfile him, or AVOID answering any of
    his posts, which will only encourage the troll.

    If you feel the need to reply to the troll, please just copy copy this
    warning.

  7. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Terry Porter" wrote in message
    > news:1umdnU5ULaNabJfUnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
    >> This is a small home server, running Linux on a HP dual P3 700Mhz

    > The obvious problem here is the sample set you have. If I remember correctly
    > you do network configuration/installation/etc and your website targets (in a
    > non-OS specific way) people who are interested in your networking solutions.
    >
    > The problem here is that 'people who are interested in networking solutions'
    > pretty much leans the target audience towards the /technical/ side of the
    > spectrum. There are probably lots of "Joe Plumbers" out there who have and
    > use computers but aren't surfing the web looking for networking solutions.
    >
    > So since your site is bound to attract a higher percentage of techies than
    > something like Amazon.com or eBay. So it's no surprise that the
    > techie-inclined visitors to your site would be using Linux more than the
    > general public.

    ... hard to put one past ol' Zeke ... :-)

  8. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular thanVista!

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:38:40 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:00:00 -0400, COLA Gone Wild wrote:
    >
    >> Terry Porter wrote:
    >>

    >> He is more sick than I had thought he was another statistics spammer in
    >> COLA.
    >>
    >> What else can be expected but statistics in Amityville.Linux.Advocacy.
    >>
    >> It's COLA GONE WILD!

    > Porter is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

    Neither is Flathead.

    --
    Humu

  9. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular thanVista!

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:34:50 -0600, GreyCloud wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:

    >> What's amazing to me is that this ratio of Linux to Windows was never
    >> so high before, and my server is about eight years old.
    >>
    >> You may be right, and techies may now be favoring Linux, but it's the
    >> TREND that interests me, as Linux usage is just steadily increasing.
    >>

    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10...html?tag=mncol
    >
    > Linux: Coming soon to a Windows laptop near you.
    >
    > Interesting that M$ needs Linux to get things going better. :-))
    >
    > How are things going for you these days?

    Hi Greycloud !!!!!!

    I'm excellent thanks, working for myself in the wifi area the last 5
    years, business is booming and I've never been busier!

    Everything around here runs Linux as always (even my LG hidef 32" LCD
    tv!) and my life as smooth as silk as a result.

    How about you, how have you been going while I've been away from COLA ?

    Always, the very best wishes
    Terry

  10. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10...html?tag=mncol
    >
    > Linux: Coming soon to a Windows laptop near you.
    >
    > Interesting that M$ needs Linux to get things going better. :-))
    >
    > How are things going for you these days?

    You hangin' in there, GreyCloud?

    --
    QOTD:
    "A child of 5 could understand this! Fetch me a child of 5."

  11. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Chris Ahlstrom belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10...html?tag=mncol
    >>
    >> Linux: Coming soon to a Windows laptop near you.
    >>
    >> Interesting that M$ needs Linux to get things going better. :-))
    >>
    >> How are things going for you these days?

    > You hangin' in there, GreyCloud?

    I wonder now why his ISP is headquartered in NY, not out west.

    --
    taniwha: Quote material
    Endy:

  12. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I've been keeping myself busy. I don't have much time for newsgroups these
    > days. It has been over a year since I've been in here. But after looking,
    > I noticed that someone has done a spotless job of hijacking my identity.
    > Oh well, that's usenet for you.

    You still in Montana?

    Looks like you might be using Linux, not Mac, at the moment.

    Chris (Linonut)

    --
    What a COINCIDENCE! I'm an authorized "SNOOTS OF THE STARS" dealer!!

  13. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like you might be using Linux, not Mac, at the moment.

    > I'm running Fedora under VMWare on an iMac.
    > That way I can utilize both at the same time. Kinda nice.
    > The volume controls and other buttons on the keyboard are tied to OS X yet
    > also controls the same for Linux. Also can drag and drop between an OS X
    > app and a Linux app at the same time.
    >
    > BTW, how does one manage to forge 100% a users ID?

    A willing proxy.

    In fact, I would assume you can set up your own NNTP server that does
    whatever you want.

    --
    How many hardware guys does it take to change a light bulb?
    "Well the diagnostics say it's fine buddy, so it's a software problem."

  14. Re: Terrys web server stats Oct 2008, Linux more popular than Vista!

    GreyCloud espoused:
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> I'm running Fedora under VMWare on an iMac.
    >>> That way I can utilize both at the same time. Kinda nice.
    >>> The volume controls and other buttons on the keyboard are tied to OS X
    >>> yet
    >>> also controls the same for Linux. Also can drag and drop between an OS X
    >>> app and a Linux app at the same time.
    >>>
    >>> BTW, how does one manage to forge 100% a users ID?

    >> A willing proxy.
    >>
    >> In fact, I would assume you can set up your own NNTP server that does
    >> whatever you want.
    >>

    > My ISP wouldn't allow that. I was just wondering how one can trace back to
    > the owner. Some ISPs put in the X-trace ID, but then how can one use that?
    >
    > It won't be too much longer before Internet 2 comes out and real censorship
    > of the net starts in. It will no longer be a free place.

    Thank our trolls for this. The reason censorship is taking place is
    because of the total abuse of the "anonymous" version.