[News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control - Linux

  1. [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's been almost two months since ALSA 1.0.18 RC3 was released and about four
    | months since ALSA 1.0.17 made it out the door, but today the final version of
    | ALSA 1.0.18 is now available. This update to the Advanced Linux Sound
    | Architecture (ALSA) contains a number of significant updates and even quite a
    | few changes since the third release candidate.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgyMQ

    Graphical Remote Control Desktops for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the annoying facts of life for a Linux user is that one's immediate
    | circle of family and friends know that you are the most knowledgeable
    | computer user they know and will frequently get volunteered to get them out
    | of the trouble they got themselves into with their Windows environment.
    | Having a way to remote-control their computers can save you a lot of drive
    | time.
    `----

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/6567/1/

    Recent:

    ALSA 1.0.17 Final Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Over the past month we've seen three release candidates for ALSA 1.0.17, but
    | arriving today is the final stable build. There are hundreds of changes
    | between ALSA 1.0.16 and 1.0.17.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjU5MA

    ATI R700 Series Gain ALSA HDMI Audio

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjMzNQ

    Related:

    Why Vista sounds worse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    | caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    | Tim Anderson *
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

    Audio in Linux is awesome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    `----

    http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    Renoise For Linux

    | On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
    | announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX
    | versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux. This
    | is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an active
    | community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds, and a native
    | Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is over, so let's see
    | (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio software party. * * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

  2. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 01:30:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

    Does this one actually work?
    Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:07:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 01:30:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

    > Does this one actually work?
    > Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

    Why even bother?
    Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.
    Those guys are too busy churning out editors and compilers to worry about
    decent audio.
    Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
    reversed.
    I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I thought
    anyone else would be able to notice.

    End of story for Linux and me........

  4. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    CROSSPOST TROLL !!! CROSPOSTING REMOVED

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:44:49 -0400, Glenn Carlson wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:07:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 01:30:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

    >> Does this one actually work?
    >> Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

    Sure, every Netbook running Linux has perfectly working audio, microphioe
    and camera.

    > Why even bother?

    Why not ?

    > Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.

    If that's true, neither has Windows. Apple is the pro audio pc leader I
    believe.

    > Those guys are too busy
    > churning out editors and compilers to worry about decent audio.

    It's compilers that make everything, including audio.

    But you're right, Linux makes sure its foundations are rock solid before
    building upwards.

    > Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
    > reversed.

    OH MY GOD!

    > I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I
    > thought anyone else would be able to notice.

    I doubt that. Linux developers really care about their babies.

    > End of story for Linux and me........

  5. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Glenn Carlson belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:07:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >>> ALSA 1.0.18 Final Now Available, Lots of Changes

    >> Does this one actually work?
    >> Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

    > Why even bother?
    > Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.
    > Those guys are too busy churning out editors and compilers to worry about
    > decent audio.
    > Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
    > reversed.
    > I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I thought
    > anyone else would be able to notice.
    >
    > End of story for Linux and me........

    Interesting. Both "Moshe" and "Glenn" use

    on motzarella.org.

    I smell flatfish sock puppets.

    I guess he never read this one:

    http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/9892

    Portable Hard Disk Recorder How-To

    After plugging this interface in to my laptop and configuring it
    properly, I have a multitrack hard disk recorder that can simultaneously
    record 24 tracks at a maximum sample rate of 96KHz, well above the
    maximum available sample rate on far more expensive commercial HDRs, with
    more available input tracks.

    --
    Someday, Weederman, we'll look back on all this and laugh... It will
    probably be one of those deep, eerie ones that slowly builds to a

  6. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Friday 31 October 2008 14:46 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Glenn Carlson belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Does this one actually work?
    >>> Can Linux play two sounds at once yet?

    >> Why even bother?
    >> Linux has absolutely no place in pro audio.
    >> Those guys are too busy churning out editors and compilers to worry about
    >> decent audio.
    >> Last time I tried Linux, the left and right channels of my RME card were
    >> reversed.
    >> I wrote the developers and they asked me how I could tell and if I thought
    >> anyone else would be able to notice.
    >>
    >> End of story for Linux and me........

    > Interesting. Both "Moshe" and "Glenn" use

    > on motzarella.org.
    >
    > I smell flatfish sock puppets.

    One sentence per paragraph, no indentation, no line spacing. If it looks like a
    (Flat)Fish...

    Gary M. Stewart.

    > I guess he never read this one:
    >
    > http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/9892

    Gary also dropped the references from the OP.

    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

    Audio in Linux is awesome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    `----

    http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

    > Portable Hard Disk Recorder How-To
    >
    > After plugging this interface in to my laptop and configuring it
    > properly, I have a multitrack hard disk recorder that can simultaneously
    > record 24 tracks at a maximum sample rate of 96KHz, well above the
    > maximum available sample rate on far more expensive commercial HDRs, with
    > more available input tracks.

    Renoise For Linux

    | On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
    | announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX
    | versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux. This
    | is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an active
    | community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds, and a native
    | Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is over, so let's see
    | (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio software party. * * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
    Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Renoise For Linux

    >| On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
    >| announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX
    >| versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux. This
    >| is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an active
    >| community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds, and a native
    >| Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is over, so let's see
    >| (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio software party. * * *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

    The screenshots look neat. Downloading the demo now.

    --
    For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!

  8. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:12:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Renoise For Linux

    >>| On January 17 of this year the first beta release of Renoise 1.9.1 was
    >>| announced. Along with new features and fixes for its Windows and OSX |
    >>versions, this release includes the first version of Renoise for Linux.
    >>This | is rather significant news: Renoise is a popular program, with an
    >>active | community of developers and users in the Win/Mac music worlds,
    >>and a native | Linux release has been a community priority. The wait is
    >>over, so let's see | (and hear) what Renoise brings to the Linux audio
    >>software party.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

    > The screenshots look neat. Downloading the demo now.

    Energy-xt has a native Linux version too. It's nearer a DAW than a
    tracker, but that is a good thing IMHO.

    They also mention in that article that Garritan are planning a port of
    their new ARIA sampler engine. It's interesting to see more commercial
    audio software appearing.

    So far it appears that commercial developers are using Jack/LV1+2, so
    they can interface with the open source software like Ardour etc. This is
    important as it means they are integrating their products into the
    existing Linux audio world, rather than just doing quick and lazy ports.

  9. Re: [News] New Sound Server for Linux, Linux Remote Control

    After takin' a swig o' grog, philicorda belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:12:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/renoise-linux

    >> The screenshots look neat. Downloading the demo now.

    > Energy-xt has a native Linux version too. It's nearer a DAW than a
    > tracker, but that is a good thing IMHO.

    http://www.energy-xt.com/

    Mentions their produc going into this Linux-based device:

    http://www.indamixx.com/

    Indamixx in 'New Gear' Keyboard MagazineIndamixx Poster

    "More powerful than a smartphone. More streamlined than any laptop. More
    music apps pre-installed than you can shake a USB cable at. Between the
    plug 'n' play and the awesome mobility, this could be the box
    that takes Linux into the mainstream of music creation."

    Stephen Fortner, Technology Editor, KEYBOARD Magazine

    That link described the devie, it looks quite interesting.
    Looks like it costs about $1200.

    http://www.indamixx.com/components/c...44d40ade86.jpg

    > They also mention in that article that Garritan are planning a port of
    > their new ARIA sampler engine. It's interesting to see more commercial
    > audio software appearing.
    >
    > So far it appears that commercial developers are using Jack/LV1+2, so
    > they can interface with the open source software like Ardour etc. This is
    > important as it means they are integrating their products into the
    > existing Linux audio world, rather than just doing quick and lazy ports.

    --
    "Let us condemn to hellfire all those who disagree with us."
    -- militant religionists everywhere

+ Reply to Thread