Desktop Linux tidal wave alert - Linux

This is a discussion on Desktop Linux tidal wave alert - Linux ; In 2009, more Linux-powered desktops will sell then will Windows- powered ones. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Think again. [People want fast boots.] Of course, while most of the vendors would like to give their customers Windows, they can't. Windows is ...

  1. Desktop Linux tidal wave alert

    In 2009, more Linux-powered desktops will sell then will Windows-
    powered ones. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Think again. [People want fast
    boots.]

    Of course, while most of the vendors would like to give their
    customers Windows, they can't. Windows is no more capable than booting
    fast than John McCain is of winning the Olympic gold in the 100-meter
    dash. That's where Linux comes in....

    Quietly, without many people noticing, the Linux desktop has become
    the mainstream. Now, with the arrival of new, exciting Linux
    distributions like Ubuntu 8.10, users' demand for a quick boot-up
    operating system, and Microsoft's Vista failure, Linux may actually be
    on more new systems next year than Windows will be. If Microsoft takes
    too long in delivering Windows 7, its emergency Vista fix-up, who
    knows? By 2010, maybe most new PC users will be using Linux instead of
    Windows. The desktop Linux tidal wave may indeed be on its way.

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/deskt...dal_wave_alert

  2. Re: Desktop Linux tidal wave alert

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:20:02 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    wrote:

    > In 2009, more Linux-powered desktops will sell then will Windows-
    > powered ones. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Think again. [People want fast
    > boots.]

    Oh brother.

    What have *you* been smoking LittleJohn?

    I know Berkeley is known for freaks and geeks but I didn't realize they
    housed the insane there as well.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Desktop Linux tidal wave alert

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:

    > In 2009, more Linux-powered desktops will sell then will Windows-
    > powered ones. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Think again. [People want fast
    > boots.]
    >
    > Of course, while most of the vendors would like to give their
    > customers Windows, they can't. Windows is no more capable than booting
    > fast than John McCain is of winning the Olympic gold in the 100-meter
    > dash. That's where Linux comes in....
    >
    > Quietly, without many people noticing, the Linux desktop has become
    > the mainstream. Now, with the arrival of new, exciting Linux
    > distributions like Ubuntu 8.10, users' demand for a quick boot-up
    > operating system, and Microsoft's Vista failure, Linux may actually be
    > on more new systems next year than Windows will be. If Microsoft takes
    > too long in delivering Windows 7, its emergency Vista fix-up, who
    > knows? By 2010, maybe most new PC users will be using Linux instead of
    > Windows. The desktop Linux tidal wave may indeed be on its way.
    >

    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/deskt...dal_wave_alert

    I don't think that Windows is fixable. I didn't think it was fixable
    in the run-up to the release of Windows 6 (Vista), the addition of 30
    million new lines of code was surely a guarantee of nothing but nothing
    but nothing but problems, bloat, slowness, unresponsiveness, and the
    biggest increase in vulnerabilities which Windows has seen, ever.

    The funny thing here is that the game was already up at about NT5. The
    point at which Windows seemed to be at its best, was, in fact, the
    pinnacle of Microsoft's world, for sure, but it was *already* massively
    losing.

    Even way back in 2000, Linux was hugely important on the thing which
    matters most, the internet. Since then, of course, there has been total
    divergence, with Linux supporting an ever increasing number of
    platforms, perhaps, most importantly, the largest selling of all the
    computing platforms. Arm.

    Arm dominates the mobility space, and Linux on Arm is fantastic.

    In order to become relevant again, what would Windows need to become?

    Try these:

    1. Support for x86, x86-64, PPC, Cell, Arm, HP Risc, Sun Risc

    2. Lightweight - fast boot, no bloat

    3. Modular - simple code re-use, well defined APIs

    4. Secure - real security model, encryption under user control

    5. Multi-user - like unix, not bolted on as an afterthought

    6. Multiple file-systems support

    7. Native networking stacks

    8. GUI-free operation (again, modular please!)

    9. Networkable GUI

    10. Terminal interface, networkable

    11. Package management like Linux (apt, aptitude, synaptic)

    12. Rapid, free patches

    13. Foss code so that vendor lock-in is eliminated

    14. Reliable (Railway timetable machines which BSOD? awful!)

    15. No more daft vertical integration to get around court rulings

    16. Release cycles << 5 years

    What does linux need? Well, I'd suggest an invariant API for hardware
    drivers would be a massive boost. Other than that, Linux merely needs
    Microsoft to keep doing the same thing.