Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems... - Linux

This is a discussion on Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems... - Linux ; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning Ubuntu freezing. Enjoy! -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Please Visit www.linsux.org...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  2. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 16:06:
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >
    > I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning
    > Ubuntu freezing.
    >
    > Enjoy!

    You could also try microsoft.public.windows.vista.general on
    msnews.microsoft.com and select posts with "freez" or "crash" in the title.

    Enjoy!

    DFS's hobby is to find posts of such problems in Ubuntu and to report
    them here. The implication is that Linux is crappy, only for people
    whose time is abundant and free to spend. But the fact that ONE version
    of ONE distribution has got problems, tells nothing, NOTHING at all,
    about the Linux kernel, or the distributions generally. Most, if not all
    minus one, are rock stable. The implication shows a totally unwarranted
    generalization that even a elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The
    constant repetition suggests not the failing of Linux but an amazing
    measure of stupidity.

    Greetings,

    Erik Jan

  3. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    > Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 16:06:
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>
    >> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning
    >> Ubuntu freezing.
    >>
    >> Enjoy!
    >>

    > You could also try microsoft.public.windows.vista.general on
    > msnews.microsoft.com and select posts with "freez" or "crash" in the
    > title.

    Except the number of Windows users far out numbers how many people use Linux
    so the number of complaints is not a apples-to-apples measure.

    > DFS's hobby is to find posts of such problems in Ubuntu and to report them
    > here. The implication is that Linux is crappy, only for people whose time
    > is abundant and free to spend. But the fact that ONE version of ONE
    > distribution has got problems, tells nothing, NOTHING at all, about the
    > Linux kernel, or the distributions generally. Most, if not all minus one,
    > are rock stable.

    Like it or not Ubuntu is for many people/consumers "Linux" and it is
    certainly one of the most, if not the most popular distro out there. If
    Ubuntu has problems then this is a Linux problem. Most people are not going
    to find and run some wacky "Purple Star" distro - they will most likely try
    Ubuntu.

    > The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    > elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition suggests
    > not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity. I
    agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be false.
    Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Erik Jan

  4. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    >
    >> The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    >> elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition suggests
    >> not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    > So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity. I
    > agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    > 2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be false.
    > Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    --
    Did you know the University of Iowa closed down after someone stole the book?

  5. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:QWlOk.59022$De7.19207@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    >>> elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition
    >>> suggests
    >>> not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    >> So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity.
    >> agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    >> 2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be
    >> false.
    >> Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    > Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    It was Erik who brought up the point that "constant repetition" is an
    amazing measure of stupidity. Whether or not Schestowitz uses constant
    repetition isn't a question - it's a fact. Take a look at his pointless
    "related" or "recent" or whatever the hell he calls that **** part of his
    posts. It is most certainly "constant repetition" and according to Erik - an
    amazing measure of stupidity.

    Oh wait... I forgot. Posting problems/hangs/freezes with Ubuntu is "constant
    repetition" but posting a bogus article from 1997 about a NSA backdoor in
    Windows that has been thoroughly debunked by Bruce Schneier isn't "constant
    repetition", it's just news.

    > --
    > Did you know the University of Iowa closed down after someone stole the
    > book?

  6. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:QWlOk.59022$De7.19207@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    >>> elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition
    >>> suggests
    >>> not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    >> So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity.
    >> agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    >> 2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be
    >> false.
    >> Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    > Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    It was Erik who brought up the point that "constant repetition" is an
    amazing measure of stupidity. Whether or not Schestowitz uses constant
    repetition isn't a question - it's a fact. Take a look at his pointless
    "related" or "recent" or whatever the hell he calls that **** part of his
    posts. It is most certainly "constant repetition" and according to Erik - an
    amazing measure of stupidity.

    Oh wait... I forgot. Posting problems/hangs/freezes with Ubuntu is "constant
    repetition" but a few dozen posts about MS stock price isn't. Or repeating a
    bogus
    article from 1997 about a NSA backdoor in Windows that has been thoroughly
    debunked by Bruce Schneier isn't "constant repetition", it's just news.

    > --
    > Did you know the University of Iowa closed down after someone stole the
    > book?

  7. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > fsckwit Ezekiel trolled:
    >>
    >> (snip)

    >Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    Apparently so. When common sense and decency are not on your side,
    there's not much choice but fsckwittery.

    --
    "No one here actually uses OOffice." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron
    Quark

  8. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> fsckwit Ezekiel trolled:
    >>>
    >>> (snip)

    >>Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    > Apparently so. When common sense and decency are not on your side,
    > there's not much choice but fsckwittery.

    This certainly explains your idiotic posts. I have yet to see you even
    attempt to post anything worthwhile. Calling people assholes, scum and rats
    is all you're capable of.

  9. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Erik Jan" schreef in bericht
    > Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 16:06:
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>
    >> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning
    >> Ubuntu freezing.
    >>
    >> Enjoy!
    >>

    > You could also try microsoft.public.windows.vista.general on
    > msnews.microsoft.com and select posts with "freez" or "crash" in the
    > title.
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >

    > The implication is that Linux is crappy, only for people whose time is
    > abundant and free to spend.

    I agree with this poast!
    --
    Jou fokken sabsy kaffer!

  10. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:13:38 -0400
    "Ezekiel" wrote:

    > Except the number of Windows users far out numbers how many people
    > use Linux so the number of complaints is not a apples-to-apples
    > measure.

    It really isn't, anyway, all the way around.

    It'd be like comparing Windows to OS X. OS X is stable because Apple
    controls the hardware environment within which OS X runs.

    Windows and Linux support different sets of hardware with different
    drivers that are written using totally different processes. Drivers
    live far longer in Linux than they do in Windows. You cannot use the
    PC Speaker under Windows for sound output (though you could, albeit
    only at the cost of hanging everything in the system, with Windows
    3.1). You can't still use a Sound Blaster 16 in a Windows system,
    whilst you still can under Linux even today. On the other hand, you
    don't often find drivers for hardware under Linux that are written such
    that only a few pairs of eyes have seen the source code, and so the
    drivers are able to be worked on by everyone to ensure that they are
    more stable than their proprietary counterparts.

    Are there issues? Yes. But you know what? There are issues on *any*
    operating system you will find or use on *any* platform at *any* point
    in time. Why is this? Because no one person, nor any one collection
    of people, are going to be so perfect as to anticipate every single
    need, every last requirement, every particular situation, every unique
    combination of hardware.

    This is among one of the major reasons why the open source model works
    the way that it does. Fixes are made based on what people find is
    broken in various situations. On the whole, a barebones Linux system
    with a GNU userspace is _far_ more powerful than a barebones Windows
    system. Then again, this is an apples-and-oranges comparison, since
    Windows omits a great deal from the operating system that has come with
    UNIX-like systems for *decades*. It's also apples and oranges because
    the difference between the system architectures and design is vast.

    The differences between a system like Linux and a system like MacOS X
    are fewer, but still significant. While OS X is a true branded UNIX
    system these days, the architecture of the way things like its drivers
    and shared libraries work is vastly different from either Windows or
    Linux. While it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, it's not
    exactly an apples-to-oranges comparison, either. Apple does have a set
    of libraries and APIs that go far beyond that which exists on a
    traditional UNIX system (but, then again, does does an average Linux
    system that uses GNOME). They're just extended in different directions
    and based differently, one using X11 and the other not, and so forth.
    OS X also has the distinct advantage, as I mentioned earlier, of having
    its hardware environment controlled in a very detailed fashion from the
    manufacturer of the operating system. This of course contributes to
    its ability to be stable, because there are far fewer unknowns than are
    going to be encountered on a system that is going to be running Windows
    or Linux.

    Of course, at the end of the day, any hardware that is defective or
    damaged is going to have an adverse effect on the operating system. An
    operating system that is relying upon a broken graphics chipset is
    going to be more likely to experience a lock-up in the graphics
    subsystem than an operating system that is relying upon a well-tested,
    fully functional graphics chipset. Likewise, an operating system that
    is relying on memory to keep its contents properly is probably going to
    puke all over you when bits start to degrade in memory because the
    memory is going bad for one reason or another. The same goes for the
    hard disk drive and loading files from it that are critical the
    operating system or key application software. That is changing these
    days in Linux, as there is now in-kernel support for end-to-end
    cryptographic hashing of data as it traverses from userspace to the
    hard disk and back, which, when in widespread use, will reduce the
    probability that the operating system is going to load something that
    is corrupt and choke on it. Instead, it will simply fail to load at
    all. NTFS nor HFS+ or the NTOSKRNL or Darwin kernels provide this
    feature insofar as I am aware. The only system that I am aware of that
    does actively at this time is ZFS, and that is soon to change.

    Furthermore, and finally, posting utter crap without being able to cite
    any particular component or system for the failure is nothing but
    pointless spewage of hot air. Windows locks up and freezes all the
    time. Linux, less so (on most hardware). OS X, even less from what I
    have seen (when not installed on non-Apple hardware, anyway). So,
    what? Unless the cause of the lockup can be pointpointed, it's unknown
    whether it has to do with Linux itself having encountered a bug at
    runtime, or a piece of hardware that is supposed to be
    standards-compliant but is not and thus uses a special-purpose
    dedicated device driver on Windows to work around it, requiring a patch
    to the standard driver so that it can work around the quirk, or it has
    to do with flawed hardware that doesn't affect operating systems that
    don't leverage it as powerfully, or some other unknown reason. Running
    around finding people who are experiencing problems and coming back
    here to yell "I FOUND ONE, I FOUND ONE" does nothing but to show how
    baseless in reality one is, how petty they are, and how much they're
    willing to waste the time their time and the time of the people that
    read in this group and any other group that may be unfortunate enough
    to be listed in the Newsgroups header(s) for those occasional posts
    where someone feels the need to spew upon Usenet in even more areas
    than are necessary or desired. Get a life---if all you want to do is
    sling mud and throw your hot air around, I'd suggest a life in politics
    as pretty well fitting.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  11. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:02:42 +0100, Erik Jan wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 16:06:
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>
    >> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning
    >> Ubuntu freezing.
    >>
    >> Enjoy!
    >>

    > You could also try microsoft.public.windows.vista.general on
    > msnews.microsoft.com and select posts with "freez" or "crash" in the title.
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > DFS's hobby is to find posts of such problems in Ubuntu and to report
    > them here. The implication is that Linux is crappy, only for people
    > whose time is abundant and free to spend. But the fact that ONE version
    > of ONE distribution has got problems, tells nothing, NOTHING at all,
    > about the Linux kernel, or the distributions generally. Most, if not all
    > minus one, are rock stable. The implication shows a totally unwarranted
    > generalization that even a elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The
    > constant repetition suggests not the failing of Linux but an amazing
    > measure of stupidity.
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Erik Jan

    Ah, you mean like these examples:

    Vista random freezes:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2596&SiteID=17

    Windows vista freezes crashes becomes unresponsive:
    http://www.technologyquestions.com/t...esponsive.html

    Vista freezes:
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...a-freezes.html

    Vista freezes oftern:
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...zes-often.html

    Vista freezes for about 10 minutes
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...0-minutes.html

    Vista freezes after 40 minutes of use!
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tes-what-wrong

    --
    Most people are sheep. *
    Microsoft is very effective

  12. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:13:38 -0400
    > "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >
    >> Except the number of Windows users far out numbers how many people
    >> use Linux so the number of complaints is not a apples-to-apples
    >> measure.

    > It really isn't, anyway, all the way around.
    >
    > It'd be like comparing Windows to OS X. OS X is stable because Apple
    > controls the hardware environment within which OS X runs.
    >
    > Windows and Linux support different sets of hardware with different
    > drivers that are written using totally different processes.

    Yeah, I agree. Both use drivers with a different driver model.

    > Are there issues? Yes. But you know what? There are issues on *any*
    > operating system you will find or use on *any* platform at *any* point
    > in time.

    Yeah, I agree. No OS is perfect.

    > Of course, at the end of the day, any hardware that is defective or
    > damaged is going to have an adverse effect on the operating system.

    Yeah, I agree. Faulty hardware will mess up an OS. It doesn't take 500 words
    to explain this.

    > Furthermore, and finally, posting utter crap without being able to cite
    > any particular component or system for the failure is nothing but
    > pointless spewage of hot air. Windows locks up and freezes all the
    > time.

    Talk about a pointless spewage of hot air. Bull**** that "Windows locks up
    and freezes all the time." Tell you what... don't eat, drink or sleep until
    the next time your Windows machine locks up and freezes.

    > Linux, less so (on most hardware).

    I haven't had a Windows lockup or freeze in ages. Linux has actually been
    pretty decent for me as well but oddly enough I did have a freeze (Ubuntu
    8.04 LTS) on Tuesday night.

    > Running
    > around finding people who are experiencing problems and coming back
    > here to yell "I FOUND ONE, I FOUND ONE" does nothing but to show how
    > baseless in reality one is, how petty they are, and how much they're
    > willing to waste the time their time and the time of the people that
    > read in this group and any other group that may be unfortunate enough
    > to be listed in the Newsgroups header(s) for those occasional posts
    > where someone feels the need to spew upon Usenet in even more areas
    > than are necessary or desired.

    Spewing nonsense to this newsgroup is *NOT* limited to posting Ubuntu
    problems. Try and count how many bull**** posts have been made over the
    short-term (as in daily) fluctuations in MSFT stock price.

    > Get a life---if all you want to do is
    > sling mud and throw your hot air around, I'd suggest a life in politics
    > as pretty well fitting.

    Perhaps the moron who makes 500+ posts per week should get a life. Last I
    checked I only spent a few minutes a week posting here. And when it comes to
    slinging mud and hot air - take a good look at yourself.

  13. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:34:15 -0400
    "Ezekiel" wrote:

    > > Furthermore, and finally, posting utter crap without being able to
    > > cite any particular component or system for the failure is nothing
    > > but pointless spewage of hot air. Windows locks up and freezes all
    > > the time.

    > Talk about a pointless spewage of hot air. Bull**** that "Windows
    > locks up and freezes all the time." Tell you what... don't eat, drink
    > or sleep until the next time your Windows machine locks up and
    > freezes.

    I suppose I should have qualified that with both "in my personal
    experience" with my own driver issues with Windows, as well as "in my
    professional experience" in fixing issues with virus-infested systems
    that eventually come to a halt. Not a pointless spewage of hot air,
    just an observation. Linux automatically doesn't have the problems of
    computer viruses, so it's a moot point to compare the two in terms of
    crashes and lockups from that aspect alone.

    > > Linux, less so (on most hardware).

    > I haven't had a Windows lockup or freeze in ages. Linux has actually
    > been pretty decent for me as well but oddly enough I did have a
    > freeze (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) on Tuesday night.

    Congratulations?

    I am going to guess that you have stable hardware, stable drivers, and
    a decent plan for keeping the viruses out? Good for you, seriously.
    If more people had decent plans for keeping their Windows computers
    healthy, I wouldn't see them so often. Again, personal/professional
    experience based on a completely legitimate aspect of comparison
    between the systems.

    > > Running
    > > around finding people who are experiencing problems and coming back
    > > here to yell "I FOUND ONE, I FOUND ONE" does nothing but to show how
    > > baseless in reality one is, how petty they are, and how much they're
    > > willing to waste the time their time and the time of the people that
    > > read in this group and any other group that may be unfortunate
    > > enough to be listed in the Newsgroups header(s) for those
    > > occasional posts where someone feels the need to spew upon Usenet
    > > in even more areas than are necessary or desired.

    > Spewing nonsense to this newsgroup is *NOT* limited to posting Ubuntu
    > problems. Try and count how many bull**** posts have been made over
    > the short-term (as in daily) fluctuations in MSFT stock price.

    It's a large component of it. There's also wholly irrelevant posts on
    a plethora of other topics ranging from application software to whether
    particular people on the group are idiots or not to what
    names/pseudonyms people are using this week. All trivial nonsense, and
    not relevant to the topic of the group at all.

    > > Get a life---if all you want to do is
    > > sling mud and throw your hot air around, I'd suggest a life in
    > > politics as pretty well fitting.

    > Perhaps the moron who makes 500+ posts per week should get a life.
    > Last I checked I only spent a few minutes a week posting here. And
    > when it comes to slinging mud and hot air - take a good look at
    > yourself.

    Certainly I could probably be more efficient with my words and how
    many of them I use, but that's a pretty poor way to word it. As far as
    the mud, where did you see any? At worst I am guilty of failing to
    qualify a few statements in my post. My apologies.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  14. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:34:15 -0400
    > "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >
    >> > Furthermore, and finally, posting utter crap without being able to
    >> > cite any particular component or system for the failure is nothing
    >> > but pointless spewage of hot air. Windows locks up and freezes all
    >> > the time.

    >> Talk about a pointless spewage of hot air. Bull**** that "Windows
    >> locks up and freezes all the time." Tell you what... don't eat, drink
    >> or sleep until the next time your Windows machine locks up and
    >> freezes.
    >>

    > I suppose I should have qualified that with both "in my personal
    > experience" with my own driver issues with Windows, as well as "in my
    > professional experience" in fixing issues with virus-infested systems
    > that eventually come to a halt. Not a pointless spewage of hot air,
    > just an observation. Linux automatically doesn't have the problems of
    > computer viruses, so it's a moot point to compare the two in terms of
    > crashes and lockups from that aspect alone.

    I certainly don't speak for most people because I've seen relatives of mine
    royally screw up their Windows machines. I ended up creating an Admin
    account, locking down their systems and demoting their accounts to ordinary
    users. I also setup the Admin account so that when someone logs in the
    desktop is bright-red with a skull and crossbones and notepad automatically
    opens a readme.txt where (in a BIG BOLD font) I warn them that this is an
    Admin account and they are about to screw up their machine. Guess what...
    they still screw it up. Once a year I go over and find that they misused the
    Admin account to install some piece of crap software that opened up the
    flood gates.

    >> > Linux, less so (on most hardware).

    >> I haven't had a Windows lockup or freeze in ages. Linux has actually
    >> been pretty decent for me as well but oddly enough I did have a
    >> freeze (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) on Tuesday night.
    >>

    > Congratulations?
    >
    > I am going to guess that you have stable hardware, stable drivers, and
    > a decent plan for keeping the viruses out?

    I'm not the typical computer user so it's less of an issue for me than for
    Joe Plumber. My hardware is relatively new and in good working shape. The
    Linux lockup happened when I finally decided to blow away my Ubuntu 6.10 (?)
    install after some problems and install 8.04 with LTS. Once it was up and
    running the first thing I wanted to do was to play a MP3 file. Double-click
    and it starts downloading codecs, asking me about untrusted repositories and
    it downloaded and installed a bunch of stuff. Eventually it started playing
    the song, got about 1-2 seconds into it and then it just hung. The mouse
    would move but the keyboard was completely unresponsive. Ctrl+Shift+F1,
    Ctrl+shift+Fx, Ctrl+shift+backspace... nothing worked. Time to hold down
    that power button for 5 seconds.

    > Good for you, seriously.
    > If more people had decent plans for keeping their Windows computers
    > healthy, I wouldn't see them so often. Again, personal/professional
    > experience based on a completely legitimate aspect of comparison
    > between the systems.

    Most people don't care or bother to keep their computers healthy. Most
    consumers are ignorant and lazy. I'm not saying it to be mean or insult them
    but it's a short way of summarizing Joe Plumbers computer skills.

    >> > Running
    >> > around finding people who are experiencing problems and coming back
    >> > here to yell "I FOUND ONE, I FOUND ONE" does nothing but to show how
    >> > baseless in reality one is, how petty they are, and how much they're
    >> > willing to waste the time their time and the time of the people that
    >> > read in this group and any other group that may be unfortunate
    >> > enough to be listed in the Newsgroups header(s) for those
    >> > occasional posts where someone feels the need to spew upon Usenet
    >> > in even more areas than are necessary or desired.

    >> Spewing nonsense to this newsgroup is *NOT* limited to posting Ubuntu
    >> problems. Try and count how many bull**** posts have been made over
    >> the short-term (as in daily) fluctuations in MSFT stock price.
    >>

    > It's a large component of it. There's also wholly irrelevant posts on
    > a plethora of other topics ranging from application software to whether
    > particular people on the group are idiots or not to what
    > names/pseudonyms people are using this week. All trivial nonsense, and
    > not relevant to the topic of the group at all.
    >
    >> > Get a life---if all you want to do is
    >> > sling mud and throw your hot air around, I'd suggest a life in
    >> > politics as pretty well fitting.

    >> Perhaps the moron who makes 500+ posts per week should get a life.
    >> Last I checked I only spent a few minutes a week posting here. And
    >> when it comes to slinging mud and hot air - take a good look at
    >> yourself.

    > Certainly I could probably be more efficient with my words and how
    > many of them I use, but that's a pretty poor way to word it. As far as
    > the mud, where did you see any? At worst I am guilty of failing to
    > qualify a few statements in my post. My apologies.

    No need to apologize. It's just that your post to /me/ said: "Get a life ---
    if all /you/ want to di is sling mud, and throw /your/ hot air around...."

    I took your post as saying that to me personally, that's all.

    > --- Mike
    >
    > --
    > My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    > http://www.trausch.us/

  15. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:13:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 16:06:
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>>
    >>> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning
    >>> Ubuntu freezing.
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy!
    >>>

    >> You could also try microsoft.public.windows.vista.general on
    >> msnews.microsoft.com and select posts with "freez" or "crash" in the
    >> title.

    > Except the number of Windows users far out numbers how many people use Linux
    > so the number of complaints is not a apples-to-apples measure.

    That is correct.
    The number of SERIOUS problems that Linux has is totally incredible.

    Sound problems.
    Video problems.
    Networking problems.
    Printing problems
    Hardware compatibility problems
    ....and so forth.

    Even filtering out the noobs who may not know, IOW turn up the volume
    control to hear sound, these are serious problems and leads a person to
    wonder how well Linux, in this case Ubuntu, is really tested.

    To most people these days Ubuntu = Linux, much like in the past Redhat =
    Linux.
    That's the way people are going to view it and for a major, in fact the top
    distribution to have such serious flaws is pathetic.

    >> DFS's hobby is to find posts of such problems in Ubuntu and to report them
    >> here. The implication is that Linux is crappy, only for people whose time
    >> is abundant and free to spend. But the fact that ONE version of ONE
    >> distribution has got problems, tells nothing, NOTHING at all, about the
    >> Linux kernel, or the distributions generally. Most, if not all minus one,
    >> are rock stable.

    > Like it or not Ubuntu is for many people/consumers "Linux" and it is
    > certainly one of the most, if not the most popular distro out there. If
    > Ubuntu has problems then this is a Linux problem. Most people are not going
    > to find and run some wacky "Purple Star" distro - they will most likely try
    > Ubuntu.

    See above.

    >> The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    >> elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition suggests
    >> not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    > So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity. I
    > agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    > 2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be false.
    > Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    Schestowitz is simply playing the game to earn his paycheck.
    He has fooled a lot of people and is laughing all the way to the bank.

    He has not fooled people who know what is going on however.
    See the various BN: Friend or Foe articles.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:42:58 -0400
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > That is correct.
    > The number of SERIOUS problems that Linux has is totally incredible.
    >
    > Sound problems.

    PulseAudio is a bit of an issue; ALSA isn't bad, though. Pulse can be
    disabled, and it can also be configured to not die when it starts
    spinning, but it really _does_ need to be fixed. Now, I haven't tested
    the newest PulseAudio, but since PA has been broken for several
    releases, I don't have much faith that it's been really fixed, yet.

    > Video problems.

    As in?

    > Networking problems.

    This is actually one of the strong points of Linux in general, so
    what's the problem?

    > Printing problems

    .... depends on the printer.

    I don't buy anything that doesn't speak PostScript or PCL6 or plain,
    raw, unadultered text. Yes, this means I don't buy ink-jet printers, I
    buy dot-matrix printers and decent laser printers only.

    > Hardware compatibility problems

    Apples and oranges, and Windows has its share of HC problems, too, even
    using vendor provided drivers---mostly because of weird interactions,
    lack of control by Microsoft and vendors of the hardware environment,
    and so on...

    > ...and so forth.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  17. Re: More Turd Burglars sent in by Micoshaft Corporation

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:ZapOk.80023$E41.56407@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >

    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>
    >> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads concerning
    >> Ubuntu freezing.
    >>
    >> Enjoy!

    > Well these turd burglars do enjoy bringing their wares

    What is it with you linux zealots in cola that you always bring up something
    "gayish" in discussions?
    Are you *that* arse obsessed?
    Are you a closet homosexual like Tattoo Vampire?
    Linux made you gay, I bet!
    --
    I'm here: lat=53.5416623417, lon=6.57523611111

  18. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Chris Ahlstrom had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 18:19:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    >>> elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition suggests
    >>> not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    >> So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity. I
    >> agree.

    This is not what I said; the constant repetition of such an unwarranted
    generalization suggests an amazing measure of stupidity. Please read!

    Greetings

    Erik Jan

  19. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Oct 30, 1:20 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in messagenews:20081030155808.4958ecb5@zest...
    >
    > > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:34:15 -0400
    > > "Ezekiel" wrote:

    [somebody unknown said]

> [...]

    Not even close. While I for one would think that Windows
    is slightly less reliable than certain other solutions
    usually advocated here, the above characterization is
    utterly false, at least on reliable hardware (if one us
    using unreliable hardware, of course, there's not much any
    OS, even the much-vaunted [and fictitious] Hamiltonian 95,
    can do :-) ).

    Assume the worst and say that "Windows freezes twice a day"
    (as claimed by some). That's certainly not all the time
    (although were it a server someone would be screaming for
    someone else's head). If one assumes a 90 second reboot,
    that turns out to be a 99.4% availability -- which may be
    more a condemnation of statistical figuring of this sort
    than Windows, especially if one loses a 100-page term paper. ;-)

    If one assumes 49.7 days one gets 99.9979% availability.
    That's getting close to the "5 9's". Make that a 90-second
    reboot every 104 days, and one has it.

    One has to ask as to whether Windows or the OEM is at fault here,
    assuming the user hasn't put in equipment that drains too much
    power from a too-small supply in the meantime on older-model
    equipment.

    In short, this is not a positive problem; it's a comparative one.
    Which solution is more reliable?

    > >> Talk about a pointless spewage of hot air. Bull**** that "Windows
    > >> locks up and freezes all the time." Tell you what... don't eat, drink
    > >> or sleep until the next time your Windows machine locks up and
    > >> freezes.

    Win3.1, Win95, Win98, WinMe, WinNT, WinNT4, WinXP, Win Vista,
    Win2003 Server, or the latest Windows 7 prototype? :-)

    > > I suppose I should have qualified that with both "in my personal
    > > experience" with my own driver issues with Windows, as well as "in my
    > > professional experience" in fixing issues with virus-infested systems
    > > that eventually come to a halt. Not a pointless spewage of hot air,
    > > just an observation. Linux automatically doesn't have the problems of
    > > computer viruses, so it's a moot point to compare the two in terms of
    > > crashes and lockups from that aspect alone.

    Viruses of course introduce another axis into the argument;
    one might characterize such as introducing unknown software
    into an otherwise stable system. The fact that Windows
    allows viruses/malware with improper management is an
    issue, though I'm not sure how much of one. Of course
    Win3.1 had an awful messy set of conventions regarding
    file placement, many of which still exist even to this day.

    In a way, Windows is a victim of its own success.

    > I certainly don't speak for most people because I've seen relatives of mine
    > royally screw up their Windows machines. I ended up creating an Admin
    > account, locking down their systems and demoting their accounts to ordinary
    > users.

    This speaks volumes -- not of you personally, but of
    the manufacturer/developer's sloppiness in packaging
    the solution. At least you had the foresight (or perhaps
    hindsight, when upgrading) to change the machine from what
    apparently is the default configuration.

    (Not sure I would, but then I only use Windows once in a
    blue moon anyway nowadays. ;-) Nor do I have a bunch of
    relations whose machines I need to administer.)

    > I also setup the Admin account so that when someone logs in the
    > desktop is bright-red with a skull and crossbones and notepad automatically
    > opens a readme.txt where (in a BIG BOLD font) I warn them that this is an
    > Admin account and they are about to screw up their machine. Guess what...
    > they still screw it up. Once a year I go over and find that they misused the
    > Admin account to install some piece of crap software that opened up the
    > flood gates.

    The obvious question is whether it's the fault of Windows
    for not including such software, the OEM for not installing
    needed third party software properly, your relations for
    installing said software, or you for allowing them to.

    (The last choice I include mostly for completeness. ;-) )

    > >> I haven't had a Windows lockup or freeze in ages. Linux has actually
    > >> been pretty decent for me as well but oddly enough I did have a
    > >> freeze (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) on Tuesday night.

    > > Congratulations?

    > > I am going to guess that you have stable hardware, stable drivers, and
    > > a decent plan for keeping the viruses out?

    > I'm not the typical computer user so it's less of an issue for me than for
    > Joe Plumber. My hardware is relatively new and in good working shape. The
    > Linux lockup happened when I finally decided to blow away my Ubuntu 6.10 (?)
    > install after some problems and install 8.04 with LTS. Once it was up and
    > running the first thing I wanted to do was to play a MP3 file. Double-click
    > and it starts downloading codecs, asking me about untrusted repositories and
    > it downloaded and installed a bunch of stuff. Eventually it started playing
    > the song, got about 1-2 seconds into it and then it just hung. The mouse
    > would move but the keyboard was completely unresponsive. Ctrl+Shift+F1,
    > Ctrl+shift+Fx, Ctrl+shift+backspace... nothing worked. Time to hold down
    > that power button for 5 seconds.

    Obviously a kernel lockup of some sort. Were you able to
    look at /var/log/messages afterwards and determine a system
    panic? Were you able to reproduce the condition? Were you
    able to log in from another machine before reproducing it,
    and do a tail -f /var/log/messages thereon in an attempt
    to capture an OOPS message?

    Such would help. (Of course it would help even more if
    Linux had its own variant of a "stop screen", which would
    clearly show the panic or OOPS after setting the card video
    registers to known good values. There are many issues with
    such a modification, of course, especially since Linux does
    not need a video card to run.)

    > > Good for you, seriously.
    > > If more people had decent plans for keeping their Windows computers
    > > healthy, I wouldn't see them so often. Again, personal/professional
    > > experience based on a completely legitimate aspect of comparison
    > > between the systems.

    > Most people don't care or bother to keep their computers healthy. Most
    > consumers are ignorant and lazy. I'm not saying it to be mean or insult them
    > but it's a short way of summarizing Joe Plumbers computer skills.

    That's why Windows works; Microsoft does the administration
    remotely for you. ;-) Linux does not have quite that option.

    [rest snipped for brevity]

  20. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:13:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 16:06:
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>>
    >>> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads
    >>> concerning Ubuntu freezing.
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy!
    >>>

    >> You could also try microsoft.public.windows.vista.general on
    >> msnews.microsoft.com and select posts with "freez" or "crash" in the
    >> title.

    > Except the number of Windows users far out numbers how many people use
    > Linux so the number of complaints is not a apples-to-apples measure.

    A windows user could be forgiven for thinking this way, but your argument
    makes no sense.

    1) Usenet is full of windows users with problems
    2) My web server shows that Linux is as popular as Vista, the Microsoft
    monopoly notwithstanding.

    >> DFS's hobby is to find posts of such problems in Ubuntu and to report
    >> them here. The implication is that Linux is crappy, only for people
    >> whose time is abundant and free to spend. But the fact that ONE version
    >> of ONE distribution has got problems, tells nothing, NOTHING at all,
    >> about the Linux kernel, or the distributions generally. Most, if not
    >> all minus one, are rock stable.

    > Like it or not Ubuntu is for many people/consumers "Linux" and it is
    > certainly one of the most, if not the most popular distro out there. If
    > Ubuntu has problems then this is a Linux problem.

    That's a very uninformed view of Linux. Many other distributions are as
    if not more popular as Ubuntu.

    > Most people are not
    > going to find and run some wacky "Purple Star" distro - they will most
    > likely try Ubuntu.

    And lots will have no problem with it.

    >> The implication shows a totally unwarranted generalization that even a
    >> elementary schoolboy would be ashamed of. The constant repetition
    >> suggests not the failing of Linux but an amazing measure of stupidity.

    The enormous number of Linux Netbook sales shows no problem with Linux,
    this is a market where the sales numbers are known and hence the number
    of Linux machines.

    It's SO big, that people are avoiding the Vista Lap Roaster shelves in
    droves and companies selling the huge dual core Vista or XP machines are
    complaining that "no one is buying laptops"

    You're off the target, out of touch, and living in fantasy land if you
    think that "Linux has problems" of any real importance.

    Even my 32" Lifes Good brand LCD HiDef TV runs linux.

    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Erik Jan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast