Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On 2008-10-31, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> But that was then. Now I can take a look at your link. (Thanks BTW.) It
    >> looks useful but here's the problem I see. It's not like this laptop locks
    >> up every day... or every week or even every month. So in 9 weeks when I get
    >> my next lockup I'm simply not smart enough to remember "Raising Elephants Is
    >> So Utterly Boring" and I'll simply end up holding down the power button and
    >> do a hard reboot. The way "Joe the Plumber" would.

    > Joe the Plumber is a sham.

    WTF is "Joe the Plumber"? I don't get it.

    Is it a Seppo Metaphor?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-31, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> But that was then. Now I can take a look at your link. (Thanks BTW.) It
    >>> looks useful but here's the problem I see. It's not like this laptop locks
    >>> up every day... or every week or even every month. So in 9 weeks when I get
    >>> my next lockup I'm simply not smart enough to remember "Raising Elephants Is
    >>> So Utterly Boring" and I'll simply end up holding down the power button and
    >>> do a hard reboot. The way "Joe the Plumber" would.

    >> Joe the Plumber is a sham.

    > WTF is "Joe the Plumber"? I don't get it.
    >
    > Is it a Seppo Metaphor?

    A minor American political football:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_the_plumber

    --
    New Hampshire law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head, or in
    any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.

  3. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Ezekiel wrote:

    >>> I also setup the Admin account so that when someone logs in the
    >>> desktop is bright-red with a skull and crossbones and notepad
    >>> automatically
    >>> opens a readme.txt where (in a BIG BOLD font) I warn them that this is an
    >>> Admin account and they are about to screw up their machine. Guess what...
    >>> they still screw it up. Once a year I go over and find that they misused
    >>> the
    >>> Admin account to install some piece of crap software that opened up the
    >>> flood gates.

    Great idea... didn't think of that.

    >> The obvious question is whether it's the fault of Windows
    >> for not including such software, the OEM for not installing
    >> needed third party software properly, your relations for
    >> installing said software, or you for allowing them to.

    Fault is Micro$oft.

    > It's not that... these people would screw up anything. They would do stuff
    > like download the latest "Adobe Flash" and not pay attention to the
    > "Download and install Google Toolbar" checkmark. Next thing you know they
    > have the Google toolbar, Yahoo toolbar and AOL buddy toolbar. Then they go
    > out and download/install the "free screensaver" that's being advertised
    > somewhere. This screensaver includes some other bogus app that they end up
    > installing along with it and before you know it the computer is a mess.
    >
    > Windows, Linux or any other OS isn't safe from morons. Some people are
    > simply the type where they actively /look/ for stupid apps, screensavers and
    > what not to download and install.

    At least in Linux (or Mac???) you don't get pummeled like that.

    to be mean or insult
    >>> them but it's a short way of summarizing Joe Plumbers computer skills.
    >>>

    >> That's why Windows works; Microsoft does the administration
    >> remotely for you. ;-) Linux does not have quite that option.

    > I think the problem is that some people expect their computer to be an
    > appliance like a "Tivo" or "DVD player." Except that it's not really an
    > appliance because users have quite a bit of control over it when it comes to
    > installing apps, drivers and modifying the system. But most people don't
    > understand how the computer works or how to keep it clean/safe/healthy and
    > recklessly install all sorts of crap and then they wonder why their
    > "appliance" no longer works correctly.

    Absolutely true, people just want things to work. It'd be nice if it
    worked that way. Sadly it doesn't.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062