Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems... - Linux

This is a discussion on Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems... - Linux ; The Ghost In The Machine wrote in news:5a347960-3c27-4e9a-a6e9-bde070d80c06@v39g2000pro.googlegroups.com: > On Oct 30, 1:55 pm, 7 wrote: >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing: >> >> > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

  1. Re: More Turd Burglars sent in by Micoshaft Corporation

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote in

    > On Oct 30, 1:55 pm, 7 wrote:
    >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >>
    >> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing

    >> > I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads
    >> > concerning Ubuntu freezing.

    > This is a legitimate freezeup issue, apparently, though
    > one wishes for more information. Post #9
    > (Mighty_Joe) is most illuminating; same hardware
    > except for the drive, Ubuntu 7.04 was rock solid
    > and 8.04 has random freezes.
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/204996
    >
    > may be relevant; the kernel version is 2.6.24-12, and
    > it locks up fairly hard. There are a *lot* of "me too"
    > posts, with corroborating, hopefully useful logs.

    Then you have either some hardware problems or it's due to that extra "12"
    (something i've never seen despite using linux since 1.1.59). Stable
    kernels are of the form: x.2y.z where x, y and z are only natural numbers.
    The "12" is possibly a patch level and hence an unstable version or a made
    up number to make it "look good". Moreover, no distribution goes into
    hundreths or even tenths for versions. They're all natural numbers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

  2. Re: More Turd Burglars sent in by Micoshaft Corporation

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:53:12 +0000 (UTC)
    chuckcar wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote in
    >
    > > On Oct 30, 1:55 pm, 7
    > > wrote:
    > >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of
    > >> Marketing:

    > > This is a legitimate freezeup issue, apparently, though
    > > one wishes for more information. Post #9
    > > (Mighty_Joe) is most illuminating; same hardware
    > > except for the drive, Ubuntu 7.04 was rock solid
    > > and 8.04 has random freezes.
    > >
    > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/204996
    > >
    > > may be relevant; the kernel version is 2.6.24-12, and
    > > it locks up fairly hard. There are a *lot* of "me too"
    > > posts, with corroborating, hopefully useful logs.
    > >

    > Then you have either some hardware problems or it's due to that extra
    > "12" (something i've never seen despite using linux since 1.1.59).
    > Stable kernels are of the form: x.2y.z where x, y and z are only
    > natural numbers. The "12" is possibly a patch level and hence an
    > unstable version or a made up number to make it "look good".
    > Moreover, no distribution goes into hundreths or even tenths for
    > versions. They're all natural numbers.

    Actually kernel verses these days are 2.6.x(.y). .y numbers are small
    version differences, providing bugfixes. For example, the current
    stable release of the kernel is 2.6.27.4 (http://www.kernel.org).

    The hyphen and the extra number are the way Debian/Ubuntu does things.
    They represent the "ABI version" of the kernel in a release as well as
    a revision number. So, on Ubuntu, you can have kernel versions such as:

    2.6.27-7
    2.6.27-7.11

    The part after the hyphen is the ABI version, and the part after the
    ABI version and the period is the revision of the package.
    They use this such that if there are configuration changes that affect
    things which link to the kernel, they bump the ABI version. Also,
    they don't use the .y component of kernel versioning, though I haven't
    the faintest idea as to why.

    The 12, in this case, represents the ABI version for Ubuntu Hardy, and
    is (because Hardy has been release) no longer likely to change. It
    will change if, for some reason, a rebuild that has changes in it
    enough to change the ABI is required, say for a security update.
    However, the tree is based off of the stable kernel; Ubuntu's add-ons
    to the vanilla tree mostly are drivers that aren't included upstream
    yet.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  3. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:32:57 -0500, Terry Porter wrote:

    > 1) Usenet is full of windows users with problems
    > 2) My web server shows that Linux is as popular as Vista, the Microsoft
    > monopoly notwithstanding.

    The BBC had Linux usage on their site pegged at 0.8 percent.

    I think the number is high, due to Linux loons slamming the site to goose
    the numbers so they could convince the BBC to support Linux with their
    latest media player.

    I would say the BBC is a much better gauge of true usage than your, ahem,
    server , Terry Porter.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> fsckwit Ezekiel trolled:

    >>> Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    >> Apparently so. When common sense and decency are not on your side,
    >> there's not much choice but fsckwittery.

    > This certainly explains your idiotic posts. I have yet to see you even
    > attempt to post anything worthwhile. Calling people assholes, scum
    > and rats is all you're capable of.

    And that's all the moron has been able to "contribute" to cola for the past
    several years.

  5. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:18:19 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >>
    >> I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads
    >> concerning Ubuntu freezing.
    >>
    >> Enjoy!

    > Thanks Moshe!
    >
    > The most widely viewed threads on the Ubuntu forums are about freezing and
    > problems and bugs and workarounds. Go Linux!

    I just unloaded it from my test partition.

    If you REALLY want to see a piker, try OpenSuSE....

    OMG....what a steaming pile!

    For once I agree with Schestowitz, this thing sucks and sucks badly....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=freezing
    >
    > I figured you would like this one, of many, many, many threads
    > concerning Ubuntu freezing.
    >
    > Enjoy!

    Thanks Moshe!

    The most widely viewed threads on the Ubuntu forums are about freezing and
    problems and bugs and workarounds. Go Linux!

  7. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity.
    >>> agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    >>> 2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be
    >>> false.
    >>> Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    >> Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    > It was Erik who brought up the point that "constant repetition" is an
    > amazing measure of stupidity. Whether or not Schestowitz uses constant
    > repetition isn't a question - it's a fact. Take a look at his pointless
    > "related" or "recent" or whatever the hell he calls that **** part of his
    > posts. It is most certainly "constant repetition" and according to Erik - an
    > amazing measure of stupidity.
    >
    > Oh wait... I forgot. Posting problems/hangs/freezes with Ubuntu is "constant
    > repetition" but posting a bogus article from 1997 about a NSA backdoor in
    > Windows that has been thoroughly debunked by Bruce Schneier isn't "constant
    > repetition", it's just news.

    Thanks for affirming that broad-stroke metaphors are your logic.

    --
    A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.
    A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops -- surely another accident.

  8. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:QWlOk.59022$De7.19207@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity.
    >>> agree. See Roy Schestowitz's "Releated" **** that he adds to each of his
    >>> 2-megabyte posts. Old crap that's either irrelevant or proven to be
    >>> false.
    >>> Like you, I also agree that Roy Schestowitz is amazingly stupid.

    >> Is that kind of argument common in 'Softie Land?

    > It was Erik who brought up the point that "constant repetition" is an
    > amazing measure of stupidity. Whether or not Schestowitz uses constant
    > repetition isn't a question - it's a fact. Take a look at his pointless
    > "related" or "recent" or whatever the hell he calls that **** part of his
    > posts. It is most certainly "constant repetition" and according to Erik - an
    > amazing measure of stupidity.
    >
    > Oh wait... I forgot. Posting problems/hangs/freezes with Ubuntu is "constant
    > repetition" but a few dozen posts about MS stock price isn't. Or repeating a
    > bogus
    > article from 1997 about a NSA backdoor in Windows that has been thoroughly
    > debunked by Bruce Schneier isn't "constant repetition", it's just news.

    Now what was the cause of /this/ repetition?

    Doesn't seem to be due to our "Level 3 Lunkhead"!

    --
    If I have not seen so far it is because I stood in giant's footsteps.

  9. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I'm not the typical computer user so it's less of an issue for me than for
    > Joe Plumber. My hardware is relatively new and in good working shape. The
    > Linux lockup happened when I finally decided to blow away my Ubuntu 6.10 (?)
    > install after some problems and install 8.04 with LTS. Once it was up and
    > running the first thing I wanted to do was to play a MP3 file. Double-click
    > and it starts downloading codecs, asking me about untrusted repositories and
    > it downloaded and installed a bunch of stuff. Eventually it started playing
    > the song, got about 1-2 seconds into it and then it just hung. The mouse
    > would move but the keyboard was completely unresponsive. Ctrl+Shift+F1,
    > Ctrl+shift+Fx, Ctrl+shift+backspace... nothing worked. Time to hold down
    > that power button for 5 seconds.

    Nope. Try this first.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

    --
    Your boyfriend takes chocolate from strangers.

  10. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Jan belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 30-10-08 18:19:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> So in your mind "constant repetition" is an amazing measure of stupidity. I
    >>> agree.

    > This is not what I said; the constant repetition of such an unwarranted
    > generalization suggests an amazing measure of stupidity. Please read!

    It was an example of Soft logic.

    --
    Eating chocolate is like being in love without the aggravation.

  11. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:u3COk.55354$rD2.9995@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I'm not the typical computer user so it's less of an issue for me than
    >> for
    >> Joe Plumber. My hardware is relatively new and in good working shape. The
    >> Linux lockup happened when I finally decided to blow away my Ubuntu 6.10
    >> (?)
    >> install after some problems and install 8.04 with LTS. Once it was up and
    >> running the first thing I wanted to do was to play a MP3 file.
    >> Double-click
    >> and it starts downloading codecs, asking me about untrusted repositories
    >> and
    >> it downloaded and installed a bunch of stuff. Eventually it started
    >> playing
    >> the song, got about 1-2 seconds into it and then it just hung. The mouse
    >> would move but the keyboard was completely unresponsive. Ctrl+Shift+F1,
    >> Ctrl+shift+Fx, Ctrl+shift+backspace... nothing worked. Time to hold down
    >> that power button for 5 seconds.

    > Nope. Try this first.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

    But *THAT* is exactly the problem. I did try all of the keystroke combos
    that I could think of and none of them worked. The keyboard was completely
    unresponsive. I could move the mouse cursor but mouse clicks wouldn't
    registers.

    What this means is that I'm on the laptop, watching the World Series in the
    living room and *ALL* that I want is a computer that works. If it's not
    responding to any form of user input then I will do a hard reboot on the
    thing. I'm not going to leave it running, go power up the desktop, try to
    telnet or ssh into the laptop or use the desktop to search the web for a
    solution. It's certainly not like I can do any of this searching from the
    laptop. (BTW - I don't run the telnet or ssh daemons on my laptop.I'll
    telent/ssh to other machines from the laptop but nobody connects in.)

    But I don't need to go through all of that to find a solution... I already
    have one. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, the laptop does a
    hard reset and everything works again. About 100x faster than searching for
    a answer. And when it did lock up it was a brand new (as in single-digit
    minutes new) install of Ubu 8.04 and it was the first mp3 that I played and
    it did have to install and configure quite a bit of stuff before it would
    play it. So it's not completely surprising.

    But that was then. Now I can take a look at your link. (Thanks BTW.) It
    looks useful but here's the problem I see. It's not like this laptop locks
    up every day... or every week or even every month. So in 9 weeks when I get
    my next lockup I'm simply not smart enough to remember "Raising Elephants Is
    So Utterly Boring" and I'll simply end up holding down the power button and
    do a hard reboot. The way "Joe the Plumber" would.

  12. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > But that was then. Now I can take a look at your link. (Thanks BTW.) It
    > looks useful but here's the problem I see. It's not like this laptop locks
    > up every day... or every week or even every month. So in 9 weeks when I get
    > my next lockup I'm simply not smart enough to remember "Raising Elephants Is
    > So Utterly Boring" and I'll simply end up holding down the power button and
    > do a hard reboot. The way "Joe the Plumber" would.

    Joe the Plumber is a sham.

    All I did was find an alt-sysreq cheat sheet and print it.

    And, in fact, there's really only one to remember for most cases (X crashes,
    in my experience):

    Alt-SysReq-R

    Here's a one-pager cheet sheet, pick your format:

    http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/sy...cheatsheet.pdf

    http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/sy...cheatsheet.odt

    There's a detailed description in the kernel source:

    http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/sy...heet/sysrq.txt

    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt if you like to build your own
    kernels.

    Of course, your average consumer/user would be as at-sea with this as they
    would be if they needed a Registry patch to get their Windows system working
    properly again.

    --
    senility, n.:
    The state of mind of elderly persons with whom one happens to disagree.

  13. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:vUDOk.59381$De7.21144@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> But that was then. Now I can take a look at your link. (Thanks BTW.) It
    >> looks useful but here's the problem I see. It's not like this laptop
    >> locks
    >> up every day... or every week or even every month. So in 9 weeks when I
    >> get
    >> my next lockup I'm simply not smart enough to remember "Raising Elephants
    >> Is
    >> So Utterly Boring" and I'll simply end up holding down the power button
    >> and
    >> do a hard reboot. The way "Joe the Plumber" would.

    > Joe the Plumber is a sham.

    Yeah I know. But's he's going to be "Joe 6-pack" until after the election.

    > All I did was find an alt-sysreq cheat sheet and print it.

    I'm not going to tape a cheat sheet to my laptop. On the desktop I can add
    it as a Post-It(tm) note and stick it on the desk or monitor but that's a
    no-go on the laptop. I'll just have to remember this. Like I said earlier
    though... this sort of stuff is pretty rare so it makes it harder to
    remember the secret key combo when it actually does occur.

    > And, in fact, there's really only one to remember for most cases (X
    > crashes,
    > in my experience):
    >
    > Alt-SysReq-R

    I've always had problems with these sort of key-combos on the laptop. I
    think it's because the SysReq key isn't a key of it's own but rather
    something that 'reachable' by holding down some other key. So lots of times
    the software doesn't actually see Alt-SysReq-R but instead sees
    Alt-Func-SysReq-R and ignores it.

    > Here's a one-pager cheet sheet, pick your format:
    >
    > http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/sy...cheatsheet.pdf
    >
    > http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/sy...cheatsheet.odt
    >
    > There's a detailed description in the kernel source:
    >
    > http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/sy...heet/sysrq.txt
    >
    > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt if you like to build your own
    > kernels.

    I'm not into building my own kernel. I actually did this a few times back in
    the late 90's but stock kernels are pretty damn good now.

    > Of course, your average consumer/user would be as at-sea with this as they
    > would be if they needed a Registry patch to get their Windows system
    > working
    > properly again.

    Speaking of registry patches... (you brought it up) - One thing that I never
    got was why MS and some other websites have instructions as to what key(s)
    need to be changed. They'll tell you to use RegEdit to change
    HKLM/CurrentControlSet/foo/bar/furbozzal/somekey to a DWORD value of 0x7F or
    something. Why don't they simply have a small '*.reg' file people can
    download and have it all done via the .reg file. It seems like a easier and
    more fool-proof solution than asking someone to manually edit the registry.

    > --
    > senility, n.:
    > The state of mind of elderly persons with whom one happens to disagree.

  14. Re: More Turd Burglars sent in by Micoshaft Corporation

    I think he just got a bad .zip file.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

  15. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Speaking of registry patches... (you brought it up) - One thing that I never
    > got was why MS and some other websites have instructions as to what key(s)
    > need to be changed. They'll tell you to use RegEdit to change
    > HKLM/CurrentControlSet/foo/bar/furbozzal/somekey to a DWORD value of 0x7F or
    > something. Why don't they simply have a small '*.reg' file people can
    > download and have it all done via the .reg file. It seems like a easier and
    > more fool-proof solution than asking someone to manually edit the registry.

    Indeed.

    However (parodying Snit) they would *have to deal with files*

    Happy Halloween, by the way! Muahhh-ha-ha-ha!

    --
    The duration of passion is proportionate with the original resistance
    of the woman.

  16. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Speaking of registry patches... (you brought it up) - One thing that I
    >> never got was why MS and some other websites have instructions as to what
    >> key(s) need to be changed. They'll tell you to use RegEdit to change
    >> HKLM/CurrentControlSet/foo/bar/furbozzal/somekey to a DWORD value of 0x7F
    >> or something. Why don't they simply have a small '*.reg' file people can
    >> download and have it all done via the .reg file. It seems like a easier
    >> and more fool-proof solution than asking someone to manually edit the
    >> registry.

    > Indeed.

    Yes. And so innocent. Nobody is ever going to receive malware that way. It
    is mindboggling how incredibly stupid these wintendo fanbois are. Just
    download a reg file and *blamm* another hosed Toys-R-Us system

    > However (parodying Snit) they would *have to deal with files*

    Well, they are windows users, not Snot Glasser victim^H^H^H^H^H^Hclients.
    So, by definition, they should have some more smarts than those poor
    ripped-off "students"

    --
    Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

  17. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    490b3348$0$31866$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/31/08 9:33 AM:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Speaking of registry patches... (you brought it up) - One thing that I
    >>> never got was why MS and some other websites have instructions as to what
    >>> key(s) need to be changed. They'll tell you to use RegEdit to change
    >>> HKLM/CurrentControlSet/foo/bar/furbozzal/somekey to a DWORD value of 0x7F
    >>> or something. Why don't they simply have a small '*.reg' file people can
    >>> download and have it all done via the .reg file. It seems like a easier
    >>> and more fool-proof solution than asking someone to manually edit the
    >>> registry.

    >> Indeed.

    > Yes. And so innocent. Nobody is ever going to receive malware that way. It
    > is mindboggling how incredibly stupid these wintendo fanbois are. Just
    > download a reg file and *blamm* another hosed Toys-R-Us system
    >
    >> However (parodying Snit) they would *have to deal with files*

    > Well, they are windows users, not Snot Glasser victim^H^H^H^H^H^Hclients.
    > So, by definition, they should have some more smarts than those poor
    > ripped-off "students"

    Weird: you cannot even figure out if you are making up stories about my
    students or my clients. LOL!

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  18. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    "Peter Köhlmann" wrote in message
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Speaking of registry patches... (you brought it up) - One thing that I
    >>> never got was why MS and some other websites have instructions as to
    >>> what
    >>> key(s) need to be changed. They'll tell you to use RegEdit to change
    >>> HKLM/CurrentControlSet/foo/bar/furbozzal/somekey to a DWORD value of
    >>> 0x7F
    >>> or something. Why don't they simply have a small '*.reg' file people can
    >>> download and have it all done via the .reg file. It seems like a easier
    >>> and more fool-proof solution than asking someone to manually edit the
    >>> registry.

    >> Indeed.

    > Yes. And so innocent. Nobody is ever going to receive malware that way.

    For starters a *.reg file is a non-executable text file. I'm not aware of
    anyone anywhere ever getting "malware" via a .reg file. Now a bad reg-file
    can certainly screw up your system something terrible but so can anything
    that people download. So downloading a *.reg file is certainly safer than
    downloading an executable because at least you can LOOK at the reg-file and
    see it's contents. And if the *.reg file is downloaded from a trusted site
    (Microsoft .com) then there is no reason it would contain malware.

    > It
    > is mindboggling how incredibly stupid these wintendo fanbois are. Just
    > download a reg file and *blamm* another hosed Toys-R-Us system

    If someone is stupid enough to download a *.reg file from some Warez site
    and just 'register it' without paying any attention to what's happening then
    this same user is stupid enough to download an executable from the same
    Warez site and end up with the same, if not worse problem.

    The point remains that it's easier and more reliable to download a *.reg
    file from a safe site like Microsoft.com and tweak some setting that way
    then it is to try and make complicated changes manually. Other than you...
    nobody is claiming that *.reg files should be available all over the web and
    that users will just blindly install whatever reg file they happen to find.

    >> However (parodying Snit) they would *have to deal with files*

    > Well, they are windows users, not Snot Glasser victim^H^H^H^H^H^Hclients.
    > So, by definition, they should have some more smarts than those poor
    > ripped-off "students"
    >
    > --
    > Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

  19. Re: Hey DFS: Ubuntu Freezing. A LOT of people have problems...

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:46:04 -0400
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > And, in fact, there's really only one to remember for most cases (X
    > crashes, in my experience):
    >
    > Alt-SysReq-R

    unRaw is okay for some things, though the system attention key
    (Alt+SysRq+K) works pretty well too for when X locks up. Sometimes,
    if the video driver crashes hard and causes the graphics hardware to
    stop responding, you can use SAK to kill X and reboot "blind" by
    Ctrl+Alt+Delete since SAK, when it works, will take you back to a VT.

    That having been said, I haven't had to use the SAK in a rather long
    while.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  20. Re: More Turd Burglars sent in by Micoshaft Corporation

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:53:12 +0000 (UTC)
    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote in

    > The 12, in this case, represents the ABI version for Ubuntu Hardy, and
    > is (because Hardy has been release) no longer likely to change. It
    > will change if, for some reason, a rebuild that has changes in it
    > enough to change the ABI is required, say for a security update.
    > However, the tree is based off of the stable kernel; Ubuntu's add-ons
    > to the vanilla tree mostly are drivers that aren't included upstream
    > yet.

    Thanks, but I *really* doubt the OP was that careful about his facts.
    Certainly the distribution release number is nonsence in any case, to say
    nothing of the wording involved. I only deal with slackware and tgz'd
    sources myself.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )