some problem confusing me, need help! - Linux

This is a discussion on some problem confusing me, need help! - Linux ; 1. when a typical linux distribution(for example, slackware), some device driver are compile into the kernel, others are loaded as module when the system start up? 2.how can the device driver loaded as module loaded into the system at start ...

  1. some problem confusing me, need help!

    1. when a typical linux distribution(for example, slackware), some
    device driver are compile into the kernel, others are loaded as module
    when the system start up?

    2.how can the device driver loaded as module loaded into the system
    at start up?
    does it loaded as a script, are there some command( for example,
    insmod XXX) in some rc.d file?

    english is not native language, hope my sentence does not confusing
    you.

  2. Re: some problem confusing me, need help!

    grass writes:

    Hi!

    > 1. when a typical linux distribution(for example, slackware), some
    > device driver are compile into the kernel, others are loaded as module
    > when the system start up?

    Yes. Basically all what has to be there for booting the system must be
    compiled in. That includes ATA/SCSI for the harddisk drives plus the
    filesystems you use for your boot partitions and lots of other stuff.

    Other things which aren't needed at boot time can be compiled as a
    module, for example USB support is not needed then (unless you boot from
    a USB drive, of course).

    > 2.how can the device driver loaded as module loaded into the system at
    > start up? does it loaded as a script, are there some command( for
    > example, insmod XXX) in some rc.d file?

    You can use the modprobe command to load a module. And all distros have
    some scripted mechanism for that. On Gentoo GNU/Linux there's

    /etc/conf.d/modules

    where you can specify the modules (and options) which shoult be loaded
    automatically.

    And there's udev, which loads modules when new devices are encountered.
    For example you plug in your usb stick and it'll load usb support and
    the mass storage driver automatically.

    Bye,
    Tassilo
    --
    No person, no idea, and no religion deserves to be illegal to insult,
    not even the Church of Emacs. (Richard M. Stallman)

+ Reply to Thread