Lenovo Unveils Netbook For Education Market

,----[ Quote ]
| The system comes with an Intel Atom processor and is available with either
| Microsoft Windows XP Home edition or Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop.
| The PC is available with either a 4-GB solid-state drive or 160-GB hard disk
| drive, and can connect to the Internet through a wired Ethernet or wireless
| Wi-Fi connection. The system also supports Bluetooth wireless for connecting
| to peripheral devices.
| The IdeaPad S10e is scheduled to be available at the end of November. Pricing
| was not disclosed.

Lenovo Rebrands SplashTop As "QuickStart"

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo has announced this morning that they will begin shipping
| SplashTop-enabled netbooks. Next month Lenovo will be shipping "QuickStart"
| (just their re-branded version of SplashTop) on their new Atom-powered
| IdeaPad S10e. The press release can be read on the Market Wire.

Linux-Based Instant-On Trend Spreads Out

,----[ Quote ]
| SplashTop is an embedded Linux operating system that is able to execute
| instant-on by being very lightweight. The SplashTop marketing mantra is "zero
| to Internet in seconds," and the operating system comfortably coexists with
| both Windows and other Linux distros on many new portable computers.
| In the Lenovo netbook, model S10e, the SplashTop functionality will be
| branded as "Quick Start." I'm not going to be surprised to see Instant-On
| arrive on nearly all Windows- and Linux-based portable computers, and not
| just netbooks. This piece in The New York Times agrees that Instant-On will
| end up fundamentally changing how people think about using their portable
| computers.

The Lenovo S10 Netbook is here, count me in

,----[ Quote ]
| The S10 is here, I ordered one yesterday and I'm psyched. The IdeaPad S10 is
| Lenovo's just-released entry in the Netbook market. "Netbook" is a new term
| that's applied to cheap small laptops that run either Windows XP Home Edition
| or Linux. No Vista or OS X here (neither is cheap).

Lenovo Confirms It's Looking At IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Though nothing is final, Lenovo's participation in the project could vastly
| increase its reach and pose a significant threat to Microsoft's dominance of
| the desktop PC market.

Lenovo In Talks To Join IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Program, Sources Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft-free software package features IBM's Lotus Notes and Lotus
| Symphony e-mail and desktop productivity suites, running on versions of
| Linux.

Lenovo’s September Surprise: Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Novell SuSE Linux seem to be the safe bets, The
| VAR Guy speculates. But our resident blogger wonders if Canonical’s Ubuntu
| Linux will somehow wrestle its way onto Lenovo’s server systems.

Lenovo's S10 Netbook Listed - Starts at just US$429

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo is expected to also release a Linux version of its netbook, which,
| once again, will not be marketed in the US, as we already noted in one of our

Lenovo Launching Linux Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| In an email to The VAR Guy, Lenovo Senior VP J. Scott Di Valerio describes
| the PC giant’s evolving Linux strategy, including plans for so-called
| NetBooks that will launch in October. Here’s a look at what Di Valerio had to
| say.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)