[News] Another Family Member Loves KDE4 - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Another Family Member Loves KDE4

    "Roy Schestowitz" stated in post
    8040251.W3k0TBjBAd@schestowitz.com on 10/29/08 5:28 PM:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Overall a nice demonstration of how Mom-compatible both Kubuntu and KDE4
    > | already are, enabling a computer newbie to use her computer without
    > | those "horrible beeps" and restarts she experienced before. She doesn't miss
    > | Windows at all and say that it's far more beautiful and not more difficult
    > | now than before :-)
    > `----
    >
    > http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...ntrepid-with-K
    > DE4.html

    -----
    Long story short, we installed everything and configured a
    basic installation with Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex beta and KDE
    4.1.2. We did no particular hardware configuration except for
    the wide screen which turned out to be actually a flat TV and
    this went in a dash after we set up the 1440x900
    specification. The HP color printer was recognized
    auto-magically, same for almost all the hardware, except for
    the Canon 4400 F scanner that turned out to be totally
    unsupported by SANE. The most tricky was actually to install
    Skype with video support and gave us an evening of headaches,
    the Logitech camera with built in microphone accepting either
    only the sound input or the video one. Some two hours of
    tunning the sound settings (K Mix REALLY needs more
    usability!) later we managed to make it work with an external
    headset and suggested to buy a headset, anyway nice to have
    for late night phone sessions.
    -----

    LOL! This is what you point to in order to show how usable KDE4 is!
    Amazing.

    --
    I think we [the folks who make Linux desktops] don't yet deliver a good
    enough user experience.

  3. Re: [News] Another Family Member Loves KDE4

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:11:07 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" stated in post
    > 8040251.W3k0TBjBAd@schestowitz.com on 10/29/08 5:28 PM:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Overall a nice demonstration of how Mom-compatible both Kubuntu and KDE4
    >>| already are, enabling a computer newbie to use her computer without
    >>| those "horrible beeps" and restarts she experienced before. She doesn't miss
    >>| Windows at all and say that it's far more beautiful and not more difficult
    >>| now than before :-)
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...ntrepid-with-K
    >> DE4.html

    > -----
    > Long story short, we installed everything and configured a
    > basic installation with Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex beta and KDE
    > 4.1.2. We did no particular hardware configuration except for
    > the wide screen which turned out to be actually a flat TV and
    > this went in a dash after we set up the 1440x900
    > specification. The HP color printer was recognized
    > auto-magically, same for almost all the hardware, except for
    > the Canon 4400 F scanner that turned out to be totally
    > unsupported by SANE. The most tricky was actually to install
    > Skype with video support and gave us an evening of headaches,
    > the Logitech camera with built in microphone accepting either
    > only the sound input or the video one. Some two hours of
    > tunning the sound settings (K Mix REALLY needs more
    > usability!) later we managed to make it work with an external
    > headset and suggested to buy a headset, anyway nice to have
    > for late night phone sessions.
    > -----
    >
    > LOL! This is what you point to in order to show how usable KDE4 is!
    > Amazing.

    KDE4 is really a pig with lipstick on.
    It's what made me switch to Gnome.

    --