Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics - Linux ; Richard Rasker wrote: >OK, smartass, you tell me, what *is* the worth of, say, Microsoft Office? >Or Windows? To me and countless others, it's completely worthless. Let me >enlighten you: the "worth" of a Microsoft product is what Microsoft decides ...

  1. Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    >OK, smartass, you tell me, what *is* the worth of, say, Microsoft Office?
    >Or Windows? To me and countless others, it's completely worthless. Let me
    >enlighten you: the "worth" of a Microsoft product is what Microsoft decides
    >it is.

    The worth is debatable but the *cost* to Microsoft is easy to
    figure out. For a boxed product shipped one-at-a time through
    US mail, about $5. For a CD in a sleeve sent with hundeds in
    the box, roughly 25 cents. For a copy offered as a download,
    a tiny fraction of a penny.

    IOW, 22 million dollars donated my skinny white ass.

  2. Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:20:40 +0000, invalid@example.com wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >>OK, smartass, you tell me, what *is* the worth of, say, Microsoft Office?
    >>Or Windows? To me and countless others, it's completely worthless. Let me
    >>enlighten you: the "worth" of a Microsoft product is what Microsoft decides
    >>it is.

    > The worth is debatable but the *cost* to Microsoft is easy to
    > figure out. For a boxed product shipped one-at-a time through
    > US mail, about $5. For a CD in a sleeve sent with hundeds in
    > the box, roughly 25 cents. For a copy offered as a download,
    > a tiny fraction of a penny.
    >
    > IOW, 22 million dollars donated my skinny white ass.

    Do you have any idea what the development costs for a product like Vista or
    Office is?
    How about the support structure?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics

    invalid@example.com wrote:

    >Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >>OK, smartass, you tell me, what *is* the worth of, say, Microsoft Office?
    >>Or Windows? To me and countless others, it's completely worthless. Let me
    >>enlighten you: the "worth" of a Microsoft product is what Microsoft decides
    >>it is.

    >The worth is debatable but the *cost* to Microsoft is easy to
    >figure out. For a boxed product shipped one-at-a time through
    >US mail, about $5. For a CD in a sleeve sent with hundeds in
    >the box, roughly 25 cents. For a copy offered as a download,
    >a tiny fraction of a penny.
    >
    >IOW, 22 million dollars donated my skinny white ass.

    The real joke is that they probably then take a tax deduction for the
    full retail price of Office, saving them a million dollars in taxes in
    exchange for a couiple boxes filled with CD's.

  4. Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >invalid@example.com wrote:
    >
    >> The worth is debatable but the *cost* to Microsoft is easy to
    >> figure out. For a boxed product shipped one-at-a time through
    >> US mail, about $5. For a CD in a sleeve sent with hundeds in
    >> the box, roughly 25 cents. For a copy offered as a download,
    >> a tiny fraction of a penny.
    >>
    >> IOW, 22 million dollars donated my skinny white ass.

    >Do you have any idea what the development costs for a product
    >like Vista or Office is?

    Yes I do. A very large sum.

    >How about the support structure?

    Yes I do. Another very large sum.

    I *also* know that Microsoft has to pay those two very large sums
    in order to have a product to sell whether or not they donate that
    "22 million dollars worth" of software to non-profit organizations.
    If all they were doing was creating software and giving it away,
    you would have a point. Oh, wait, that's *LINUX* that creates
    software and gives it away for free...

+ Reply to Thread