Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics - Linux ; On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:47:01 +0100, Richard Rasker wrote: > My apologies for the spelling error. But I know exactly what it means: > selling stuff for prices much higher than reasonable or fair, in the > certain knowledge ...

  1. Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:47:01 +0100, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > My apologies for the spelling error. But I know exactly what it means:
    > selling stuff for prices much higher than reasonable or fair, in the
    > certain knowledge that your customers have no real choice. In other words:
    > exactly what Microsoft has been doing for decades, and does again here.
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    So you are saying Linux isn't a choice.
    Good, I agree.
    It's not for most people anyway.

    Linux is free and has been for 17+ years.
    Apple is expensive IMHO.
    Windows is expensive IMHO.

    So why do people choose to upgrade Windows rather than move to Linux?
    Why are people moving to Macs rather than upgrade to Vista?
    Or more importantly why are these same people NOT moving to Linux desktop
    in any numbers that would show up on a radar screen.

    The fear of any commercial enterprise is a free or less expensive product
    that is as good or better than their commercial variety.

    There is a reason why Linux has not taken the desktop by storm.
    I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it's related to all those downloads
    of livecds and new distributions that the major players brag about.

    They never seem to match the number of actual users.

    IOW people try Linux and dump Linux.
    Why?

    Figure that one out, fix the problem and you Linux loons might have a
    chance.
    Keep churning out the same broken distributions and Linux is doomed.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Microsoft's drug dealer tactics

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    news:49089daa$0$718$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.inter nl.net...

    > .. In the words of the head honcho: "We can take one hundred percent
    > of a small pie, or one percent of a much larger, better tasting pie -- and
    > share the rest."

    They had better be careful. I think Barack Obama has a copyright on usng
    pie analogies and he is going to have access to major weapons of mass
    destruction in the near future.

+ Reply to Thread