Will BlackBerry and Kindle go the open source route?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is flavor of the month in the mobile world, with Android and the
| Symbian Foundation showing off their wares, and the vendors of other mobile
| platforms are coming under pressure from developers and investors to consider
| going open too.
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/?article_id=664

Big companies seem to be heading back in that direction.

BMW seeks joint vehicle electronics effort

,----[ Quote ]
| BMW AG is asking automakers to work together to make vehicle electronics more
| innovative.
|
| The automaker is developing an open-source platform for vehicle electronics
| to allow providers of information and entertainment services to develop
| plug-and-play applications.
|
| [...]
|
| "We were convinced we had to develop an open platform that would allow for
| open software since the speed in the infotainment and entertainment industry
| requires us to be on a much faster track," said Gunter Reichart, BMW vice
| president of driver assistance, body electronics, and electrical
| networks. "We invite other OEMs to join with us, to exchange with us. We are
| open to exchange with others."
`----

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10076071-48.html

Recent:

Testers sought for Blackberry-Linux sync software

,----[ Quote ]
| A developer of Mac-based sync utilities is seeking beta testers for what it
| calls "the first Linux-to-BlackBerry sync solution." Information Appliance
| Associates (IAA) is initially testing its free "PocketMac for BlackBerry,
| Linux Edition" software on Xandros Linux running the KDE PIM suite.
`----

Free BlackBerry Downloads: Five Open Source Mobile Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Can't get enough free BlackBerry downloads? Don't worry, we're here to help.
| This week we've gathered a handful of open source apps to help customize--and
| optimize--your RIM smartphone.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/373413/Fr...ce_Mobile_Apps

Pimp your Blackberry with the Ubuntu Theme!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008...lackberry.html