Germany: 'Cost of Open Source desktop maintenance is by far the lowest'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Foreign Ministry is migrating all of its 11.000 desktops to GNU/Linux and
| other Open source applications. According to Schuster, this has drastically
| reduced maintenance costs in comparison with other ministries. "The Foreign
| Ministry is running desktops in many far away and some very difficult
| locations. Yet we spend only one thousand euro per desktop per year. That is
| far lower than other ministries, that on average spend more than 3000 euro
| per desktop per year."
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/cont...279/4/lang,en/

Recent:

German Home Savings and Loan Association Relies on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions,
| today announced that Vereinsbank Victoria Bauspar AG (VVB), a German private
| home savings and loan association, has implemented SEP sesam running on Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux 5 to maintain its backup and recovery solution for all
| database applications in its two parallel data centers. The high-performance
| solution enhances data transfer rates, speeding the resolution of backups
| while reducing maintenance and administration efforts.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...35&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/6g8bls

DE: Manual for migrating to Open Source updated

,----[ Quote ]
| The German Ministry of the Interior has published the third edition of
| its 'Migrationsleitfaden', a manual for public administrations Â*migrating to
| Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7675/469

Three German KDE Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| The IT Service Center Berlin has announced the development of a desktop
| system for the public services in Germany's capital (Google Translate to
| English). This is yet another public body making the switch to the Free
| Desktop system
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1212516937/

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
| Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
| BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
| story for ODF!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information

DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred Â*of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
|
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
|
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system

,----[ Quote ]
| The guys from “Berliner Fenster”, a company responsible for the content of
| the television system installed inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700
| displays) were so kind (thank you!) providing us with a spot for our release
| party this Saturday for free. So just on time with the release starting from
| today there are small spots viewable by an audience of about 1.5 million
| people per day according to their web site.
`----

http://www.screenage.de/blog/2008/04...-metro-system/

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims Â*continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
| low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
| This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
| more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/19...ith_openoffice

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ci...ich_and_german

The German Plan for Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
| Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
|
| [...]
|
| And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
| recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
|
| What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
| Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...rman-plan.html

Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
| eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
| recommends ODF for text documents.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...to_recommended

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...openoffice_org

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work. Â*
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/200...king-into.html

Green Euro MP supports call for better access to open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| European citizens have the right to freely access documents and information
| from the institutions which represent them, and it is about time that the use
| of open source software became more widespread
|
| Open source software (1) should be more widely available in order to help
| reduce the 'digital divide', according to Dr Caroline Lucas, Green MEP for
| the South East.
|
| Dr Lucas has added her signature to a written declaration in the European
| Parliament - like an Early Day Motion (EDM) in the House of Commons -
| recognising the growing disparities in access to information and
| communication technologies throughout the European Union, and calling for
| increased use of open source technology.
`----

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/3424

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure