Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier? - Linux

  2. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:

    > * Enter CD
    >
    > * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the CD's
    > content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >
    > * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the entire
    > album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as aptly-named
    > files.
    >
    > *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam! All
    > done.
    >
    > How is this done in Windows?

    This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    doesn't get any easier than this...

    I still prefer Grip though. Nostalgia I think :-)

    --
    An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:
    >>
    >> * Enter CD
    >>
    >> * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the
    >> CD's content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >>
    >> * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the
    >> entire album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as
    >> aptly-named files.
    >>
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and
    >> bam! All done.
    >>
    >> How is this done in Windows?

    > This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    > doesn't get any easier than this...

    Just ask Snot Michael Glasser.
    He will explain why a convoluted mess, consisting of at least half a dozen
    mouse-clicks in seemingly unrelated positions will result in something
    similar, albeit not quite (most of the target formats will be missing).

    And then declare the OSX way superior

    -- Henry Spencer

  4. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

  5. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    In article <1950211.3VK5ZIH5Wu@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam!
    > All
    > done.

    MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    4907b18d$0$30221$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 10/28/08 5:42 PM:

    > TomB wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:
    >>>
    >>> * Enter CD
    >>>
    >>> * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the
    >>> CD's content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >>>
    >>> * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the
    >>> entire album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as
    >>> aptly-named files.
    >>>
    >>> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and
    >>> bam! All done.
    >>>
    >>> How is this done in Windows?

    >> This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    >> doesn't get any easier than this...

    > Just ask Snot Michael Glasser.
    > He will explain why a convoluted mess, consisting of at least half a dozen
    > mouse-clicks in seemingly unrelated positions will result in something
    > similar, albeit not quite (most of the target formats will be missing).
    >
    > And then declare the OSX way superior

    Really Peter, what "half a dozen mouse-clicks in seemingly unrelated
    positions" do you mean? Please be specific.

    Peter runs in 3... 2... 1...

    100% predictable.

    Yes, Peter, you are that predictable...

    --
    .... something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually move the desktop

  7. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "Roy Schestowitz" stated in post
    1950211.3VK5ZIH5Wu@schestowitz.com on 10/28/08 5:18 PM:

    > * Enter CD
    >
    > * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the CD's
    > content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >
    > * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the entire
    > album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as aptly-named
    > files.
    >
    > *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam!
    > All
    > done.
    >
    > How is this done in Windows?

    Damn, in OS X you need:

    at least half a dozen mouse-clicks in seemingly
    unrelated positions

    at least according to Peter Köhlmann. I guess Linux has a big win there.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

  8. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "TomB" stated in post
    ZdONk.63833$KL7.45004@newsfe08.ams2 on 10/28/08 5:36 PM:

    > On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:
    >>
    >> * Enter CD
    >>
    >> * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the
    >> CD's
    >> content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >>
    >> * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the entire
    >> album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as aptly-named
    >> files.
    >>
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam!
    >> All
    >> done.
    >>
    >> How is this done in Windows?

    > This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    > doesn't get any easier than this...
    >
    > I still prefer Grip though. Nostalgia I think :-)

    I can see the value of having this in the file browser, but then your file
    browser gets bloated with options for quality of importing and burning,
    cross fading, what to download (art, lyrics, song titles, etc.), pausing
    between songs, etc. Seems to make sense to be in its own software...

    --
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
    that take our breath away.

  9. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "Roy Schestowitz" stated in post
    2554888.HF3chEeqVl@schestowitz.com on 10/28/08 6:54 PM:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 29 October 2008 00:42 : \____
    >
    >> TomB wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:

    >>> This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    >>> doesn't get any easier than this...

    > Grip is how I did it 5 years ago.
    >
    >> Just ask Snot Michael Glasser.
    >> He will explain why a convoluted mess, consisting of at least half a dozen
    >> mouse-clicks in seemingly unrelated positions will result in something
    >> similar, albeit not quite (most of the target formats will be missing).
    >>
    >> And then declare the OSX way superior

    > A BSD with a nice-looking theme and overpriced hardware. Why not just get a
    > mid-tier machine and then put Bagjira on KDE? Oh wait! That won't give you
    > the 'Mac Experience'^TM (aura and stuff).

    If Shuttleworth gets his way it is possible desktop Linux will be doing a
    lot to catch up with OS X. I would welcome that.

    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates

  10. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "Tim Smith" stated in post
    reply_in_group-5E8109.23072228102008@news.supernews.com on 10/28/08 11:07
    PM:

    > In article <1950211.3VK5ZIH5Wu@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam!
    >> All
    >> done.

    > MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    > playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    And what if you want to set quality of burning? Pause between songs - or
    cross fade? What about burning a cover... is the album art downloaded, too?
    Seems if you have all of these options in your general file browser the list
    of options overall will be huge.

    Seems to make more sense to have a separate music program...

    --
    .... something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually move the desktop
    experience forward to compete with Mac OS X.

  11. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    Snit wrote:
    > "TomB" stated in post
    > ZdONk.63833$KL7.45004@newsfe08.ams2 on 10/28/08 5:36 PM:
    >> This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    >> doesn't get any easier than this...
    >>
    >> I still prefer Grip though. Nostalgia I think :-)

    > I can see the value of having this in the file browser, but then your file
    > browser gets bloated with options for quality of importing and burning,
    > cross fading, what to download (art, lyrics, song titles, etc.), pausing
    > between songs, etc. Seems to make sense to be in its own software...

    A single sub menu to select predefined ripping configurations and manage
    configurations is all it takes. It would keep the file manager GUI
    uncluttered and still allow easy access to a multitude of configuration
    options.

    This kind of UI is perfect for people like me, that create a small set of
    predefined configurations (e.g. archive flac, high quality ogg, mobile
    player mp3) and rarely, if ever, mess with the configuration again.

    Of course, a ripping program independent from the file manager should also
    exist, even if it gives the exact same features.

    Regards.

  12. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, TomB belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:
    >>
    >> * Enter CD
    >> * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the CD's
    >> content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >> * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the entire
    >> album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as aptly-named
    >> files.
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam! All
    >> done.
    >>
    >> How is this done in Windows?

    > This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    > doesn't get any easier than this...
    >
    > I still prefer Grip though. Nostalgia I think :-)

    I used to use grip. Now I use jack (the ripper). Command line with a
    curses-based reporting mechanism/interface.

    --
    NAPOLEON: What shall we do with this soldier, Giuseppe? Everything he
    says is wrong.

  13. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article <1950211.3VK5ZIH5Wu@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam!
    >> All
    >> done.

    > MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    > playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    You may now provide a message ID to prove that claim.

    --
    Mieux vaut tard que jamais!
    [ Better late than never ]

  14. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    Tim Smith stammered:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam!
    >> All
    >> done.

    >MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    >playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    Put down the bottle, Timmy, I think you've had enough.

  15. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    On 2008-10-29, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, TomB belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-29, Roy Schestowitz was urged to write the following:
    >>>
    >>> * Enter CD
    >>> * Pop-up menu shows up asking if the user's desire is to play or open the CD's
    >>> content in a file manager. Open in file manager.
    >>> * Voila! In the background, KDE has fetched the tracks info for the entire
    >>> album (over the Web) and within 1 second the tracks appear as aptly-named
    >>> files.
    >>> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and bam! All
    >>> done.
    >>>
    >>> How is this done in Windows?

    >> This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    >> doesn't get any easier than this...
    >>
    >> I still prefer Grip though. Nostalgia I think :-)

    > I used to use grip. Now I use jack (the ripper). Command line with a
    > curses-based reporting mechanism/interface.

    ...been using ripperX since nearly the dawn of time.

    Put in a disk.
    Hit the scan button.
    Hit the CDDB button.
    Select everything.

    Hit "start"

    The process could perhaps use fewer button presses but the
    whole thing is still remarkably simple. Even a Lemming Troll in
    COLA could handle it.

    It's a 10+ year old app.

    --
    The best OS in the world is ultimately useless |||
    if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates. / | \

  16. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "LusoTec" stated in post
    Xe2dnZqt2czHoZXUnZ2dnUVZ8jCdnZ2d@novis.pt on 10/29/08 3:35 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "TomB" stated in post
    >> ZdONk.63833$KL7.45004@newsfe08.ams2 on 10/28/08 5:36 PM:
    >>> This is a *great* Konqueror feature. OSX fans should adore it, as it
    >>> doesn't get any easier than this...
    >>>
    >>> I still prefer Grip though. Nostalgia I think :-)

    >> I can see the value of having this in the file browser, but then your file
    >> browser gets bloated with options for quality of importing and burning,
    >> cross fading, what to download (art, lyrics, song titles, etc.), pausing
    >> between songs, etc. Seems to make sense to be in its own software...

    > A single sub menu to select predefined ripping configurations and manage
    > configurations is all it takes. It would keep the file manager GUI
    > uncluttered and still allow easy access to a multitude of configuration
    > options.

    I simply cannot picture this. Can you show a screen shot or mockup?

    > This kind of UI is perfect for people like me, that create a small set of
    > predefined configurations (e.g. archive flac, high quality ogg, mobile
    > player mp3) and rarely, if ever, mess with the configuration again.
    >
    > Of course, a ripping program independent from the file manager should also
    > exist, even if it gives the exact same features.

    Why have duplication to that extent?

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  17. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    49084e54$0$31866$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net on 10/29/08 4:51 AM:

    > LusoTec wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "TomB" stated in post
    >>> ZdONk.63833$KL7.45004@newsfe08.ams2 on 10/28/08 5:36 PM:

    >>> I can see the value of having this in the file browser, but then your
    >>> file browser gets bloated with options for quality of importing and
    >>> burning, cross fading, what to download (art, lyrics, song titles, etc.),
    >>> pausing
    >>> between songs, etc. Seems to make sense to be in its own software...

    > Again Snot Michael Glasser, most incompetent "IT teacher" of all time, shows
    > his utter lack of knowledge.

    Peter Kölhmann:
    Just ask Snot Michael Glasser.
    He will explain why a convoluted mess, consisting of at least
    half a dozen mouse-clicks in seemingly unrelated positions
    will result in something similar, albeit not quite (most of
    the target formats will be missing).
    And then declare the OSX way superior
    Snit:
    Really Peter, what "half a dozen mouse-clicks in seemingly
    unrelated positions" do you mean? Please be specific.
    Peter runs in 3... 2... 1...
    100% predictable.
    Yes, Peter, you are that predictable...

    You are *that* predictable, Peter. Really. LOL!

    > His remarks about how the "file browser gets bloated" shows one thing just
    > all too clear: He has never seen it. Otherwise he would not spout such
    > utter nonsense. *Nothing* he claims here is true

    So explain why it is not. LOL! As if you could. Too damned funny!
    >> A single sub menu to select predefined ripping configurations and manage
    >> configurations is all it takes. It would keep the file manager GUI
    >> uncluttered and still allow easy access to a multitude of configuration
    >> options.
    >>
    >> This kind of UI is perfect for people like me, that create a small set of
    >> predefined configurations (e.g. archive flac, high quality ogg, mobile
    >> player mp3) and rarely, if ever, mess with the configuration again.

    > Well, Konqueror really shines with this stuff. And since most of those
    > features are really just plugins (kio-slaves), it is not neeedlessly
    > bloating Konqueror for people who don't use such features (another feature
    > I often use is the find/locate kio-slave for Konqueror)

    Ah, not *needlessly* bloating Konqueror ... Peter Kölmann things "bloating"
    is *needed*. At least by some. Snicker.

    > And since OSX (or windows, for that matter) have nothing which comes even
    > close in ease of use

    Peter Kölhmann:
    Just ask Snot Michael Glasser.
    He will explain why a convoluted mess, consisting of at least
    half a dozen mouse-clicks in seemingly unrelated positions
    will result in something similar, albeit not quite (most of
    the target formats will be missing).
    And then declare the OSX way superior
    Snit:
    Really Peter, what "half a dozen mouse-clicks in seemingly
    unrelated positions" do you mean? Please be specific.
    Peter runs in 3... 2... 1...
    100% predictable.
    Yes, Peter, you are that predictable...

    You have *no* idea how OS X handles this. None. So when you say "OSX (sic)
    has nothing which even comes close in ease of use" you are simply making
    things up.

    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.

  18. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    In article ,
    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > In article <1950211.3VK5ZIH5Wu@schestowitz.com>,
    > > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and
    > >> bam!
    > >> All
    > >> done.

    > > MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    > > playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    > You may now provide a message ID to prove that claim.

    You may find his claims here:

    Generally, they are in stories about media companies distributing things
    in MP3, or otherwise supporting MP3, which Roy criticizes on the grounds
    that this excludes Linux users.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  19. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article ,
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> > MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    >> > playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    >> You may now provide a message ID to prove that claim.

    > You may find his claims here:
    >

    > Generally, they are in stories about media companies distributing things
    > in MP3, or otherwise supporting MP3, which Roy criticizes on the grounds
    > that this excludes Linux users.

    Lack of a message ID or link noted.

    Also noted is your conflation of technical issues with intellectual property
    issues.

    You need more clarity and specificity here. Searching that site above for MP3
    seems to bring up references to IRC logs. Worse than trying to read the
    Congressional Record.

    You're reaching, and it is obvious.

    --
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    -- W. C. Fields

  20. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1950211.3VK5ZIH5Wu@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> *Drag and drop the directory called MP3 (or Ogg) where you want it and
    >> bam! All
    >> done.

    > MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    > playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    Your ignoring the point is duly noted.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"