Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier? - Linux

This is a discussion on Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier? - Linux ; On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:32:42 -0700, Tim Smith wrote: > In article , > Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out >> this bit o' wisdom: >> >>> In article , ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:32:42 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> MP3? MP3!? You've told us numerous times that Linux can't handle MP3
    >>> playback, so why would anyone want to RIP their CDs into MP3 files?

    >> You may now provide a message ID to prove that claim.

    > You may find his claims here:
    >

    > Generally, they are in stories about media companies distributing things
    > in MP3, or otherwise supporting MP3, which Roy criticizes on the grounds
    > that this excludes Linux users.

    Read the ICQ logs.
    Roy is always asking others to convert mp3 audio to ogg or DOC to an OSS
    format etc however it's because he is crazy in the head and won't use
    anything but free software.

    His latest rant is about mono and the applications it is *infecting*,
    according to him and his gang of losers.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Tim Smith
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Department of Marketing:

    > MP3?

    So what are you really trying to tell us?

    Appil crap can't play MP3s because Appil are going to
    stop MP3 support?

  3. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    On 2008-10-29, Moshe Goldfarb. was urged to write the following:

    > Read the ICQ logs.
    > Roy is always asking others to convert mp3 audio to ogg or DOC to an OSS
    > format etc however it's because he is crazy in the head and won't use
    > anything but free software.
    >
    > His latest rant is about mono and the applications it is *infecting*,
    > according to him and his gang of losers.

    I don't see anything wrong with that. It's called activism. Fighting
    for something you believe in. And he's right to do so. Open standards
    should be promoted as much as possible, because all the proprietary
    stuff *does* infect the world of computers. It's a battle we'll never
    win because the masses always adapt whatever gets rammed in their
    throats, but at least we "died" trying.

    --
    I've got more chins than China Town.
    ~ Weird Al Yancovich

  4. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:30:15 GMT, TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-10-29, Moshe Goldfarb. was urged to write the following:
    >
    >> Read the ICQ logs.
    >> Roy is always asking others to convert mp3 audio to ogg or DOC to an OSS
    >> format etc however it's because he is crazy in the head and won't use
    >> anything but free software.
    >>
    >> His latest rant is about mono and the applications it is *infecting*,
    >> according to him and his gang of losers.

    > I don't see anything wrong with that. It's called activism. Fighting
    > for something you believe in. And he's right to do so. Open standards
    > should be promoted as much as possible, because all the proprietary
    > stuff *does* infect the world of computers. It's a battle we'll never
    > win because the masses always adapt whatever gets rammed in their
    > throats, but at least we "died" trying.

    I have no problem with that. If he wants to look like a psycho, so be it.
    It's his life.
    Desktop Linux has been on life support for 17+ years so it's pretty much
    dead anyway.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  5. Re: Ripping CDs in KDE - Can it Get ANY Easier?

    Snit wrote:
    > "LusoTec" stated in post
    > Xe2dnZqt2czHoZXUnZ2dnUVZ8jCdnZ2d@novis.pt on 10/29/08 3:35 AM:

    >> A single sub menu to select predefined ripping configurations and manage
    >> configurations is all it takes. It would keep the file manager GUI
    >> uncluttered and still allow easy access to a multitude of configuration
    >> options.

    > I simply cannot picture this. Can you show a screen shot or mockup?

    Lets see if ASCII "art" can do the trick!

    |Tools|
    |-----+-------------+
    | ................. |
    | ................. |
    | ................. |+------------------------+
    | CD Audio Ripper >|| Select Encoding Config |
    | ................. |+------------------------+
    | ................. ||[ ] FLAC Archive |
    | ................. ||[X] High Quality OGG |
    | ................. ||[ ] Mobile Player MP3 |
    '-------------------'

    >> This kind of UI is perfect for people like me, that create a small set of
    >> predefined configurations (e.g. archive flac, high quality ogg, mobile
    >> player mp3) and rarely, if ever, mess with the configuration again.
    >>
    >> Of course, a ripping program independent from the file manager should
    >> also exist, even if it gives the exact same features.

    > Why have duplication to that extent?

    I don't see it has duplication but as integration with Konqueror. Many
    program integrate with Konqueror (e.g. KPDF, Kate).

    From the programmer's point of view most of the code would be shared and
    there would only be a need to write a KPart and/or KIO component.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2