On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:20:57 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out
> this bit o' wisdom:
>> Are you stupid or what? I posted the excerpt where Gasse says it sucks
>> in the OP. I repeat it here:
>>
>> "I bought
>> two identical Asus EeePC netbooks, one running Windows, the other a
>> Linux distribution. Windows is still much easier to use and update,
>> Linux is still a little rough on normal humans. One example out of many
>> glitches: the version I used didn't remember Wi-Fi access points and
>> passwords. I had to re-enter everything each time I turned the machine
>> on. This type of problem has prevented Linux from gaining much ground
>> on the desktop. "

> Well, either Asus screwed up the configuration, or this guy did.

As usual, it's not exactly cut and dry, but Gasse wasn't using it
correctly.

I just tested the claim on a Eeepc900 with the default Andros install
using my internal Linux powered WPA encrypted WiFi AP.

I used the 2nd unit in my article, the one with the Dremel machining:-
http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/doku.php?
id=eeepc900_external_rear_antenna_connector_mod&s[]=asus

This unit ended up dual boot, (quite by accident) as I installed Debian
Lenny on the second SSD, and left the first SSD alone.

There are two network related icons on the Xandros desktop:-

1) Wireless Networks
2) Network

If I click on 1) it asks for the WPA key every time, however on the first
connection to a new WiFi access point, the connection info along with the
key, goes into 2) above.

After rebooting, clicking on 2), then selecting the WiFi network from a
list and then clicking 'connect', the Eeepc will connect without re
entering the key or any other info.

Closing the Eeepc while connected to the WiFi AP, puts the unit to sleep
and disconnects the WiFI as it is powered off.

Opening the lid and hitting any key wakes the Eeepc up, the wifi led
comes back on, and it reconnects, all automatically.

Sorry Wintrolls, the Eeepc works perfectly with Linux on WiFi, as does
the Acer Aspire One which I also have.

HTH
Terry