Just updated to Fedora 9 - Linux

This is a discussion on Just updated to Fedora 9 - Linux ; I'm new at this: My system was at Fedora Core 4. Now I upgraded to Fedora 9. When I boot I get a command line Linux screen. How do I get the Desktop screen? Thanks for your help...

  1. Just updated to Fedora 9

    I'm new at this:
    My system was at Fedora Core 4. Now I upgraded to Fedora 9.
    When I boot I get a command line Linux screen.
    How do I get the Desktop screen?

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: Just updated to Fedora 9

    Did you make a default install for Fedora 9 or did you change some
    settings? If so, did you ensure you were installing the X Window system?
    Did you do a clean install or an update? (I wouldn't recommend even
    trying to update from a version like Fedora 4 to 9, use a clean install
    instead).

    Ranger23 wrote:
    > I'm new at this:
    > My system was at Fedora Core 4. Now I upgraded to Fedora 9.
    > When I boot I get a command line Linux screen.
    > How do I get the Desktop screen?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

  3. Re: Just updated to Fedora 9

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:32:48 -0700 (PDT), Ranger23 wrote:

    > I'm new at this:
    > My system was at Fedora Core 4. Now I upgraded to Fedora 9.
    > When I boot I get a command line Linux screen.
    > How do I get the Desktop screen?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    That's a huge jump in versions.
    Linux upgrades move at a very fast pace and things can change radically
    from major version to major version.

    It's best to do a fresh install and not an upgrade.

    You can *try* logging in and typing startx but I doubt it is going to work.
    It will give you some idea about what is going on, which is probably a
    problem with video.

    I'd back up my /home and data and do a fresh install of Fedora 9 if I were
    you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Just updated to Fedora 9

    Ranger23 wrote:

    > I'm new at this:
    > My system was at Fedora Core 4. Now I upgraded to Fedora 9.
    > When I boot I get a command line Linux screen.
    > How do I get the Desktop screen?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    Try the liveCDs first
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com
    Ubuntu, Knoppix, DSL, Mepis are all good.

  5. Re: Just updated to Fedora 9

+ Reply to Thread