Linux no longer needs advocacy - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux no longer needs advocacy - Linux ; Message-ID: When all the trolls including the sux and fishy troll stopped posting for about a month, it was revealing how much this newsgroup has been trashed. The number of advocate posters have dwindled considerably. At first I thought this ...

  1. Linux no longer needs advocacy

    When all the trolls including the sux and fishy troll stopped
    posting for about a month, it was revealing how much this
    newsgroup has been trashed. The number of advocate posters have
    dwindled considerably.

    At first I thought this was alarming. Looking to the bright
    side, Linux no longer needs advocacy. It has already established
    itself. It has already taken seed.

  2. Re: Linux no longer needs advocacy

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

    The anonymous remailing troll forgot all of my message. Let's
    restore it for what it is worth:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....4a7380017d49ab

    High Plains Thumper
    Mon, Nov 5 2007 4:17 pm
    Subject: Re: a modest proposal ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > It severely pains me to say this, but how about totally
    > disbanding COLA, it's not as if it's of any use. In fact you
    > would be better off NOT advocating LINUX, you're actually
    > doing it a lot of damage. Anyone who wants to disparage the
    > Open Source crowd, all they have to do is point to here.
    > That's the unvarnished truth, fellas, your the longest running
    > joke on Usenet, but it wouldn't be 'tough love' if I didn't
    > tell it like it is.

    > There are some decent people here and they know who they are.
    > It pisses me off seeing them day after day, subject to
    > disruption and personal abuse. And all you (in this thread)
    > get to say is, oh there might me lurkers here who we must
    > educate. All I can say to that is BOLLIX !!!

    I hate to admit it, but the if the trolls cannot promote their
    anti-Linux, anti-FOSS agenda, the next best thing is to drown out
    advocacy by trashing the newsgroup.

    When all the trolls including the sux and fishy troll
    > stopped posting for about a month, it was revealing how much
    > this newsgroup has been trashed. The number of advocate
    > posters have dwindled considerably.
    >
    > At first I thought this was alarming. Looking to the bright
    > side, Linux no longer needs advocacy. It has already
    > established itself. It has already taken seed.

    [quote continued]
    No amount of FUD is going to derail Linux. The convicted
    monopoly is like Rome. Government dereliction of duty has
    allowed it to monopolise the market. Microsoft is crumbling from
    within.

    Best illustration is the Vista operating system. You would think
    that it would be the best yet, blowing the socks off Apple's
    latest, Leopard and giving Linux tough competition in the way of
    performance, stability, security, etc.

    Consumers are resisting it because they are not ready to give up
    their investment of current software and buy new hardware. They
    are burned out from the continuous costly upgrade cycles. They
    want performance. They want to HAVE IT THEIR WAY [tm].

    No one is interested in the pretty, designer styled Vista box
    with a different colour for each flavour.

    I find it difficult to believe that a multibillion quid
    corporation would take its best talent and design something that
    defies performance.

    With such talent, one would expect the tightest, most efficient
    underlying engine an OS can have. One that runs better than how
    one blogger put it, runs like XP on 256 MB memory, except it is
    on a 2 GB memory machine.

    Very few older applications will run on it. Thus, an upgrade
    requires a complete suite of new software, another major investment.

    Why buy Vista when I can get Window apps to work in WINE, and
    those that don't with a small investment less than the cost of a
    leading antivirus/personal firewall product for Windows, purchase
    a commercial product for Linux that will?

    You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the
    people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all
    of the time.
    [/quote continued]

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  3. Re: Linux no longer needs advocacy

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > With such talent, one would expect the tightest, most efficient
    > underlying engine an OS can have. One that runs better than how
    > one blogger put it, runs like XP on 256 MB memory, except it is
    > on a 2 GB memory machine.

    You proud of that stupid lie you quoted, HPT? Figures.

    Here's what cola idiot Tattoo Vampire recently said about his real-world
    experience with Vista:

    ====================================
    "This thing ran Vista? Well, surprise, surprise. With "only" 2 GB
    RAM and an 850 Mhz processor, this thing ran the full blown Aero Glass
    interface like a champ. It wasn't a speed demon, but it was definitely
    responsive and perfectly usable.

    Doing some checking, this machine rated only a 1.5 on the Vista experience
    scale or whatever the heck it's called. Odd that it would rank so low yet
    perform so well."
    ====================================

    Hey, I bet your office - you know, that place where you use Windows to make
    a living - switches to Vista long before it ever considers Linux crapware.
    Whaddaya bet?

  4. Re: Linux no longer needs advocacy

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >

    >> With such talent, one would expect the tightest, most efficient
    >> underlying engine an OS can have. One that runs better than how
    >> one blogger put it, runs like XP on 256 MB memory, except it is
    >> on a 2 GB memory machine.
    >>

    > You proud of that stupid lie you quoted, HPT? Figures.
    >
    > Here's what cola idiot Tattoo Vampire recently said about his real-world
    > experience with Vista:
    >
    > ====================================
    > "This thing ran Vista? Well, surprise, surprise. With "only" 2 GB
    > RAM and an 850 Mhz processor, this thing ran the full blown Aero Glass
    > interface like a champ. It wasn't a speed demon, but it was definitely
    > responsive and perfectly usable.
    >
    > Doing some checking, this machine rated only a 1.5 on the Vista experience
    > scale or whatever the heck it's called. Odd that it would rank so low yet
    > perform so well."
    > ====================================
    >
    > Hey, I bet your office - you know, that place where you use Windows to make
    > a living - switches to Vista long before it ever considers Linux crapware.
    > Whaddaya bet?

    Didn'tFinishSchool,

    Since half my place of employment runs linux (IT) and the other half
    (users) just upgraded to XP last year; I may just take that bet. And all
    this post says it that it takes a low end system with a bunch of ram to
    be usable.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  5. Re: Linux no longer needs advocacy

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >Best illustration is the Vista operating system. You would think
    >that it would be the best yet, blowing the socks off Apple's
    >latest, Leopard and giving Linux tough competition in the way of
    >performance, stability, security, etc.

    No, you would not think that. M$ thinks the path to the most profit
    is to control and restrict, rather than to offer what is the best
    product. And they're probably right!

  6. Re: Linux no longer needs advocacy

    chrisv wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Best illustration is the Vista operating system. You would think
    >> that it would be the best yet, blowing the socks off Apple's
    >> latest, Leopard and giving Linux tough competition in the way of
    >> performance, stability, security, etc.

    > No, you would not think that. M$ thinks the path to the most profit
    > is to control and restrict, rather than to offer what is the best
    > product. And they're probably right!

    The trouble is that is certainly true in the short term, but certainly
    not in the long term. TPTB and large multinationals need to start
    planning for the long term instead of constantly inventing new
    restrictions and laws to milk short term gain [in many cases over and
    over again].

  7. Re: Linux no longer needs advocacy

    Norman Peelman wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> With such talent, one would expect the tightest,
    >>> most efficient underlying engine an OS can have. One that
    >>> runs better than how one blogger put it, runs like XP on
    >>> 256 MB memory, except it is on a 2 GB memory machine.
    >>>

    >> You proud of that stupid lie you quoted, HPT? Figures.

    This is an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The
    liberal use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents.
    Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here

    >> Here's what cola idiot Tattoo Vampire recently said about
    >> his real-world experience with Vista:
    >>
    >> ==================================== "This thing ran Vista?
    >> Well, surprise, surprise. With "only" 2 GB RAM and an 850
    >> Mhz processor, this thing ran the full blown Aero Glass
    >> interface like a champ. It wasn't a speed demon, but it was
    >> definitely responsive and perfectly usable.
    >>
    >> Doing some checking, this machine rated only a 1.5 on the
    >> Vista experience scale or whatever the heck it's called. Odd
    >> that it would rank so low yet perform so well."
    >> ====================================

    Post is suspect. Here's a clanger:

    Follow-ups:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c23dd973101d3d

    2. chrisv

    "Odd that a machine with a 850 would support 2G of RAM. IIRC,
    machines of that (P3) era typically only supported 512M."

    3. Chris Ahlstrom

    "Odd that most of Tattoo's signature sig is missing, too."

    4. Sinister Midget

    "Odd that the user agent is 40turd, and it floated to the top
    from motzerella."

    Here is another clanger:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....3c073485dff802

    [quote]
    My dad, who has been retired for years, likes to tinker around
    building computer systems - some he sells, others he gives to
    people who can't afford to buy their own. Anyhow, he told me he
    had a nice system with 2 GB RAM and a 250 GB hard drive and I
    offered to buy it for my son, whose current machine is about 8
    years old.

    He shipped it to me last week. I knew it had Vista on it, and
    that I would need to format the drive and install another OS
    since he was going to put his copy of Vista on a new machine.
    [quote]

    It implies Tattoo Vampire's Dad is a software thief, giving away
    systems with Vista on it. Also it does not make sense to build
    systems from surplus parts or refurbish / repair old systems and
    install a several hundred US dollars operating system on hardware
    that is only worth less than half that at that.

    Continued clanger:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e1d263bedb736a

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: Tattoo Vampire
    Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:11:45 -0400
    Subject: Re: Vista surprise

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > Were you running Microsoft Office, Visio 2007, Project, and
    > Windows Media player - all at the same time?

    I had IE, Photoshop CS3, Thunderbird and Word open.
    $800 of "test" software .... (Thunderbird FOSS thrown in for
    "advocacy")

    all of which is incongruent with TV's posting style:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9902584-7.html

    March 25, 2008 6:54 AM PDT
    Microsoft: All roads lead to Vista [...]

    Because Vista *is* B.S.
    by Don Zeigler March 25, 2008 9:43 AM PDT
    I'm IT manager for a real estate company operating three
    offices... had to replace 4 older machines with new ones that
    came with Vista preloaded. Even with all the special effects
    turned off these machines are slower than Methuselah! Then throw
    in the fact some of our applications won't run under it. After a
    week of headaches I installed XP on all 4 machines. [...]

    No Vista here!
    by Don Zeigler March 25, 2008 9:28 AM PDT
    And there won't be. For the few times a week I need to run
    Windows, XP is fine. The remainder of the time I'm running Linux.

    >> Hey, I bet your office - you know, that place where you use
    >> Windows to make a living - switches to Vista long before it
    >> ever considers Linux crapware. Whaddaya bet?

    This is an example of phishing.

    > Didn'tFinishSchool,

    LOL!

    > Since half my place of employment runs linux (IT) and the
    > other half (users) just upgraded to XP last year; I may just
    > take that bet. And all this post says it that it takes a low
    > end system with a bunch of ram to be usable.

    Well, if it seems too true to be true, it probably is and I agree
    with Chrisv that it was typical for such systems of the era to
    support less RAM. For example, this mobo with AMD Duron 850 MHz
    processor supports 1 GB RAM:

    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Hewlet...on-7910-P2427A

    That Duron has an FSB of 100 MHz in DDR effectively running at
    200 MHz, which is a tad bit faster, but still slower than current
    entry level "Vista capable" systems, in which there have been
    performance complaints.

    One can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, which this rings
    of. It also smacks of:

    Subject: 3.5 The evil and illegal Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the
    troll's ability to cause mayhem, they also forge posts in
    that persons name and internet address and libel them on
    usenet. Both these are illegal.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati