Verizon, Klausner settle voice mail patent suit

,----[ Quote ]
| Klausner said it granted Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications
| Inc and Vodafone Group, a patent license related to voice message alerts.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...=RSS&feedName=

Patent Troll Klausner settles with Verizon

,----[ Quote ]
| Before you get uppity about having us call Klausner Technologies a patent
| troll, consider what they’ve been doing since their invention of the PDA:
| Suing everyone under the sun who has used visual voicemail.
`----

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...-with-verizon/

Recent:

India - Enter the patent troll

,----[ Quote ]
| So it was interesting to read a report that the biggest ands scariest one of
| them all, Intellectual Ventures, founded by the redoubtable Nathan Myhrvold,
| had come to India. Intellectual Ventures, according to the Wall Street
| Journal, has more than 20,000 patents and patent applications “related to
| everything from lasers to computer chips”. Myhrvold was the chief strategist
| and chief technology officer of Microsoft before he sent up Intellectual
| Ventures, an idea that he owes to Bill Gates. Microsoft had a huge patent
| liability problem with a seemingly endless line of people suing the company
| for infringement of their patents. It was then that Myhrvold came up with the
| idea of accumulating patents under one roof to manage them better. His
| rationale: it is more efficient for companies to deal with him than thousands
| of patent holders. The transaction costs alone make it worthwhile for
| companies to pay Intellectual Ventures its steep fees.
|
| [...]
|
| Intellectual Ventures debut here coincides with the news that CSIR is
| considering a move to transfer its patent lode to an independent holding
| company that will manage it professionally. The patents would be monetised in
| various ways, licensing being one option.
`----

http://spoonfeedin.blogspot.com/2008...ent-troll.html

Tech Guru Riles the Industry By Seeking Huge Patent Fees

,----[ Quote ]
| Millionaire Nathan Myhrvold, renowned in the computer industry as a
| Renaissance man, has a less lofty message for tech companies these days: Pay
| up.
|
| Over the past few years, the former Microsoft Corp. executive has quietly
| amassed a trove of 20,000-plus patents and patent applications related to
| everything from lasers to computer chips. He now ranks among the world's
| largest patent-holders -- and is using that clout to press tech giants to
| sign some of the costliest patent-licensing deals ever negotiated.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1221...googlenews_wsj

Controversial patent buyer to start Indian operations in Oct

,----[ Quote ]
| New Delhi: Individual inventors and research organizations here may find
| their patents turning liquid with the imminent entry of Intellectual Ventures
| Llc., a controversial company that owns an estimated 20,000 patents and is in
| the market for as many more as it can lay its hands on.
|
| The company has already entered into agreements to buy patents from the
| Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology,
| Bombay, and is close to signing an agreement with the Council for Scientific
| and Industrial Research, India’s largest research and development
| organization, said a person familiar with the developments who did not want
| to be named.
`----

http://www.livemint.com/2008/09/2500...-buyer-to.html

Intellectual Ventures turns its attention to India

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual Ventures is moving into India says a report published this
| weekend. According to the Wall Street Journal’s Livemint Lounge, IV has
| signed deals to acquire patents from the Indian Institute of Science,
| Bangalore, IIT in Bombay, while it is close to signing an agreement with
| Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
|
| What the report does not say is whether this is a deal for Indian patents,
| for US patents or for patents internationally. My guess is that there is
| going to have to be a pretty substantial international element. On that
| front, it is worth noting that CSIR is by far the biggest Indian filer of
| international patent applications, filing over 350 in the US alone between
| 2005 and 2007.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...9-a7b63e1fdd44

Litigating against innovation: Legal attacks on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents and how they're controlled are damaging the way technology is
| developed - and the Linux case is a key example of this.
|
| [...]
|
| Litigation as a mode of business is fashionable in the current climate, but
| offers little or nothing of benefit to users or developers. Authorial
| copyrights in the US have been extended to 70 years after the author's death.
| The law that made this possible, the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act,
| was passed in 1998. Patent law, meanwhile, increasingly protects the
| interests of the powerful, encroaches upon notions of innovation and freedom
| to operate, and is used to inhibit competition. Both are in critical need of
| reform.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/1997...-on-linux.html

Memo to Microsoft: Put up or shut up on patent claims

,----[ Quote ]
| They have signed innumerable contracts based on the claims, contracts which
| assume the truth of the claims, and caused the production of products whose
| chief *selling point is that their makers admit the legitimacy of the claims.
|
| Microsoft seems in no hurry to change the status quo. They are not going to
| put up, in the form of a lawsuit. They are not going to shut up, either,
| given the commercial advantages they have created.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2460

'PatentGate,' one year later: Microsoft against the open-source world

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head