[News] Microsoft 'Patent Terrorists' Bypass European Law - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft 'Patent Terrorists' Bypass European Law

    EPO chief's questions could open software patent can of worms and cause greater
    uncertainty

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week Marshall Phelps observed that Europe thinks it does not grant
    | software patents, but that actually it does. When the enlarged board answers
    | the president’s questions, maybe we can all have the same certainty as
    | Microsoft’s VP of IP Strategy and Policy.
    `----

    http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...6-1597601cb88e

    Will Europe Adopt The United States Model Of Patent Protection For Computer
    Software?

    http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/curr...8&EntryNo=3014

    Related:

    Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
    | unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
    | executive for Sun Microsystems.
    `----

    Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
    | market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
    | at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
    |
    | The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
    | software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
    | with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
    | beginning to show.
    `----

    http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?...soft_Terrorism

    Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
    | it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
    | is to provoke fear.
    |
    | If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
    | you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
    | of the American people as they never have before in the history of
    | the country.
    `----

    http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft 'Patent Terrorists' Bypass European Law

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > EPO chief's questions could open software patent can of worms and cause greater
    > uncertainty
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Last week Marshall Phelps observed that Europe thinks it does not grant
    >| software patents, but that actually it does. When the enlarged board answers
    >| the president’s questions, maybe we can all have the same certainty as
    >| Microsoft’s VP of IP Strategy and Policy.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Det...6-1597601cb88e
    >
    > Will Europe Adopt The United States Model Of Patent Protection For Computer
    > Software?
    >
    > http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/curr...8&EntryNo=3014

    Certainly, the pressure to do so, is huge.

    One wonders if anyone told the lawyers that software on linux is mostly
    processes, and processes are not patentable... It might make as much
    sense to most legal folk as physics or maths does, or indeed, as legal
    things do to an engineer like myself.