[News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power - Linux

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

    5 Wallpaper Changer Apps For Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In Linux, setting an image as the desktop wallpaper is not a difficult task,
    | but getting it to change automatically at a certain interval is. While there
    | are plenty of wallpaper-changing apps available for Windows, there are only a
    | limited few for Linux.
    |
    | If you have a good collection of wallpapers and want to see them in action on
    | your desktop, here are 5 wallpaper changers that you can use in your...
    `----

    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-wallp...pps-for-linux/

    Multiple Desktop Wallpapers in Ubuntu 8.10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Basically, you obviously still have a background, but the icons will not
    | appear there anymore. To view your desktop and icons you can always still use
    | the Nautilus file browser and just navigate to your Desktop folder. You also
    | lose the right click menu on the desktop, but the only time I ever use that
    | is to change the background. After following these steps you won’t be
    | changing your wallpaper that way anymore, but instead using the CompizConfig
    | Settings Manager.
    `----

    http://kyleabaker.com/2008/10/25/mul...in-ubuntu-810/

    Recent:

    125+ Linux wallpapers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 101 of the best Linux wallpapers I could find in the wild…
    `----

    http://elkosmas.gr/2008/09/25/125-linux-wallpapers/

    15 Coolest GNU Wallpapers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are plenty of high-quality Linux wallpapers that you can get on the
    | web, but not that much for the good-old GNU (GNU's Not Unix). So, I decided
    | to take some time to find and collect a few of my favorite GNU wallpapers in
    | existence.
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/15-co...allpapers.html

    20 Coolest Linux Distro-themed Wallpapers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since my list of 25 Coolest Linux Wallpapers unexpectedly became a huge hit,
    | I’m going to share to you some more to keep the Linux pride alive. This time,
    | I have collected some of the coolest, high quality distro-themed wallpapers.
    | I know that you are excited already, so let’s cut to the chase and just
    | present to you the "20 Coolest Linux Distro-themed Wallpapers" in no
    | particular order.
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/20-co...ro-themed.html

    Related:

    Fun With xwinwrap in Compiz Fusion

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.fsckin.com/2008/04/14/fun...compiz-fusion/

    25 Coolest Linux Wallpapers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’ve noticed that Linux newbies take so much pride with their newly installed
    | distro that they will most likely spend a lot of time searching the web for
    | Linux-themed desktop wallpapers. So, I decided to provide here or share some
    | of the best (in my own opinion) Linux wallpapers that I have collected
    | before. * *
    `----

    http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/02/...allpapers.html

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In Linux, setting an image as the desktop wallpaper is not a difficult task,
    > | but getting it to change automatically at a certain interval is. While there
    > | are plenty of wallpaper-changing apps available for Windows, there are only a
    > | limited few for Linux.

    What the...? I have standard KDE on long-in-the-tooth debian etch, and
    it changes my wallpaper at regular intervals - a different interval on
    each desktop and different photo collections per desktop too.

    --
    Ron House
    rhouse@smartchat.net.au

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

    Ron House wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In Linux, setting an image as the desktop wallpaper is not a
    >> difficult task, | but getting it to change automatically at a certain
    >> interval is. While there | are plenty of wallpaper-changing apps
    >> available for Windows, there are only a | limited few for Linux.

    How many do they think we need?

    > What the...? I have standard KDE on long-in-the-tooth debian etch, and
    > it changes my wallpaper at regular intervals - a different interval on
    > each desktop and different photo collections per desktop too.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

    On 2008-10-30, Ron House claimed:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In Linux, setting an image as the desktop wallpaper is not a difficult task,
    >> | but getting it to change automatically at a certain interval is. While there
    >> | are plenty of wallpaper-changing apps available for Windows, there are only a
    >> | limited few for Linux.

    > What the...? I have standard KDE on long-in-the-tooth debian etch, and
    > it changes my wallpaper at regular intervals - a different interval on
    > each desktop and different photo collections per desktop too.

    I did the same thing for a long time. Now I run xscreensaver on a black
    background on the desktop for some animated effects. I could just as
    well run superkaramba via a script so it could kill one set of widgets
    and replace them with another random set at random intervals.

    Both xscreensaver and superkaramba aren't limited to KDE as well.
    Although superkaramba /does/ require a few of the KDE libraries to run
    on another wm/desktop.

    I used to run chbg on icewm, xstarfish on fluxbox and some other
    program (I forget what it was now) whenever I ran the rare Gnome
    session. I've played with another 3-5 different programs that I've used
    for short stints on icewm, windowmaker or enlightenment over the last
    10+ years, too.

    A "limited few" wallpaper-changing apps on linux? Somebody needs to
    take a couple of more seconds to look.

    --
    Bill Gates: "As long as they [China] are going to steal it, we want
    them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Wallpaper Power

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:35:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > My wallpapers change every 2 minutes now and it makes
    > working much more pleasant.

    The power of Linux!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb