Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!! - Linux ; Terry Porter wrote: > I wrote a GUI program using the GLADE GUI designer for GTK2-Perl, to > do this job. My coding is shabby, but that's my fault as I'm an > electronics technician, not a programmer. > > ...

  1. Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!!

    Terry Porter wrote:

    > I wrote a GUI program using the GLADE GUI designer for GTK2-Perl, to
    > do this job. My coding is shabby, but that's my fault as I'm an
    > electronics technician, not a programmer.
    >
    > The GUI looks ok, but it's not designed by a professional GUI
    > designer, it's designed by me.

    The interface is fine for a small, self-used app. To improve it for public
    consumption I would group like items together and draw boxes around them
    (weight and height/length/width in one box labeled 'Dimensions',
    cost-related items in another box, replace 'Click For' with 'Calculate' or
    'Calc', spell out the word Total, etc)

    > http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...d=wiki:auspost
    >
    > The Wintrolls will soon be jumping all over this thread with the usual
    > nonsense, their aim is to try and stop you seeing the kind of stuff
    > you can easily do with Linux, for Free.

    heh...yeah, that's our goal alright... stop people from seeing small-time
    OSS (cr)apps.

    We're too late, though, to stop Debian from including a bunch of pieces of
    junk in their 'stable' repository.

    > If they claim the same program is available for Windows, ask them to
    > provide a *specific* URL.

    The same? You mean the same little postage calculator app, or the same
    development tools?

    There are thousands of free postal calculators, both online and downloadable
    apps
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...creenshot.html

    http://www.google.com/search?q=postage+calculators

    In either case, why would I use POS like Glade/GTK-perl when I can get
    various flavors of Microsoft Visual Studio for free?

    http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx

    You sure are ignorantly provincial there in NSW la-la land. And you're
    starting to be wrong everytime you post. And you're way too full of your
    boring self, and Linux.

  2. Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!!

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:19:45 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >
    >> I wrote a GUI program using the GLADE GUI designer for GTK2-Perl, to
    >> do this job. My coding is shabby, but that's my fault as I'm an
    >> electronics technician, not a programmer.
    >>
    >> The GUI looks ok, but it's not designed by a professional GUI
    >> designer, it's designed by me.

    > The interface is fine for a small, self-used app. To improve it for public
    > consumption I would group like items together and draw boxes around them
    > (weight and height/length/width in one box labeled 'Dimensions',
    > cost-related items in another box, replace 'Click For' with 'Calculate' or
    > 'Calc', spell out the word Total, etc)
    >

    >> http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/d...d=wiki:auspost
    >>
    >> The Wintrolls will soon be jumping all over this thread with the usual
    >> nonsense, their aim is to try and stop you seeing the kind of stuff
    >> you can easily do with Linux, for Free.

    > heh...yeah, that's our goal alright... stop people from seeing small-time
    > OSS (cr)apps.
    >
    > We're too late, though, to stop Debian from including a bunch of pieces of
    > junk in their 'stable' repository.
    >

    >> If they claim the same program is available for Windows, ask them to
    >> provide a *specific* URL.

    > The same? You mean the same little postage calculator app, or the same
    > development tools?
    >
    > There are thousands of free postal calculators, both online and downloadable
    > apps
    > http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...creenshot.html
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=postage+calculators
    >

    > In either case, why would I use POS like Glade/GTK-perl when I can get
    > various flavors of Microsoft Visual Studio for free?
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx
    >

    > You sure are ignorantly provincial there in NSW la-la land. And you're
    > starting to be wrong everytime you post. And you're way too full of your
    > boring self, and Linux.

    Once again the Linux advocate, in this case Terry Porter, re-invents the
    wheel and gets it square.........

    It's totally amazing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb