Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!! - Linux ; After takin' a swig o' grog, Norman Peelman belched out this bit o' wisdom: > Terry Porter wrote: >> >> I don't know if that would make it any easier for Windows users to run my >> little Auspost3 compared ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Norman Peelman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Terry Porter wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't know if that would make it any easier for Windows users to run my
    >> little Auspost3 compared to the utilities like Wget I'm using now ?

    > Also take a look at:
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-...800/lib/LWP.pm
    >
    > or possibly just use sockets (extra programming though).
    >
    > At least to get started don't forget to d/l 'wget' and 'cat' for
    > windows. Drop them both in system32.

    Terry doesn't use Windows, "Norman".

    You do realize there are people who believe that applications generally run
    better on Linux, don't you?

    Why do you think they call it "Windoze"?

    --
    The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.
    -- Dorothy Parker

  2. Re: Linux All The Tools You'll Ever Need, And They're Free!!

    On 2008-10-30, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Norman Peelman belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Terry Porter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't know if that would make it any easier for Windows users to run my
    >>> little Auspost3 compared to the utilities like Wget I'm using now ?

    >> Also take a look at:
    >>
    >> http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-...800/lib/LWP.pm
    >>
    >> or possibly just use sockets (extra programming though).
    >>
    >> At least to get started don't forget to d/l 'wget' and 'cat' for
    >> windows. Drop them both in system32.

    > Terry doesn't use Windows, "Norman".

    ...or perhaps he doesn't use it if he doesn't have to due
    to his experiences that have prompted him to use the term
    Windoze.

    Perl is a good way to get around the fact that Windows is
    not Unix. Conventional Unix scripts take advantage of a large
    number of tools that likely won't be installed on a Windows box.
    Perl provides a more monolithic solution.

    > You do realize there are people who believe that applications generally run
    > better on Linux, don't you?
    >
    > Why do you think they call it "Windoze"?

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2